Need some help with making a shortcut in Ubuntu 19.10
On my HTPC, I need to run Kodi from the terminal in order to suspend Pulseaudio and enable ALSA for passthrough.  Does anyone know how I could add an icon to the launcher in Ubuntu that would work the same way?  It's a lot more difficult than Windows, or other Linux distros for some reason.  I can't seem to edit the existing shortcut.
Copy the file

/usr/share/applications/Kodi.desktop

To

~/.local/share/applications/Kodi.desktop

And edit that (it might be a lowercase K in Kodi). It will override the systems .desktop file
(2019-11-29, 09:02)teeedubb Wrote: Copy the file

/usr/share/applications/Kodi.desktop

To

~/.local/share/applications/Kodi.desktop

And edit that (it might be a lowercase K in Kodi). It will override the systems .desktop file
Thanks, I'll try that and see how it goes.  Does the .local folder take priority or something? 

I still wish little things like making shortcuts didn't have to be so tedious LOL.  Though I guess it's better than running Windows and having it update in the middle of a movie.

I'd use a different distro if more of them were officially supported by Kodi.  And Mint really needs to get caught up with the newer kernels so use people using Ryzen APU's don't have to mess with it so much.
or you simply edit that desktop file with "sudo". Those files in /usr/share/applications/ are owned by root. So you can't edit them as a normal user.

sudo nano /usr/share...... should work in that case. At least I can edit the file in that way here on Fedora and I can also add multiple "Actions" which are accessable via a right click on the menu entry.

ofc "nano" can be replaced with any editor you prefer
This file gives me the option to start Kodi with Pulseaudio being disabled:

https://termbin.com/5oz0

edited directly at /usr/share/applications

I added "PA disabled" at Actions=Fullscreen;Standalone;PA disabled

and then added the complete "[Desktop Action PA disabled]" section where you set alsa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some help with making a shortcut in Ubuntu 19.100