Is it possible to share TV Show and Movie path?
I'm currently exploring using Kodi in LibreELEC as a front end replacement for my MythTV client.

Over the years, I've accumulated a bunch of TV shows and Movies, all under the same directory. MythTV doesn't really distinguish between Movies and TV Shows. KODI seems to be quite picky about it.

I've tried creating multiple video sources with different names, but the same NFS path. If I set one of the sources up as a TV source and the other one as Movie, KODI merrily removes the entries for the other when I'm setting up one.

The only discussion I've found on this says they must be in different sub-directories. I'm hoping to find a different answer somehow.

Will I have to completely re-arrange my directory structure just to allow KODI to find both my Movies and TV Shows? I can always just browse through the file structure, but that seems to defeat at least part of the purpose of KODI.
(2019-11-30, 15:42)jimbolaya Wrote: Will I have to completely re-arrange my directory structure just to allow KODI to find both my Movies and TV Shows?

Kodi has no AI to know which video files are movies or tv episodes. So movies, music videos and tvshows will each require their own root folder for the content type setting.
(2019-11-30, 16:06)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-30, 15:42)jimbolaya Wrote: Will I have to completely re-arrange my directory structure just to allow KODI to find both my Movies and TV Shows?

Kodi has no AI to know which video files are movies or tv episodes. So movies, music videos and tvshows will each require their own root folder for the content type setting. 
Oh, that's too bad that a source can't be duplicated. Thank you for letting me know.
I decided to make a symbolic link of my video directory (which is in the same NFS mount, but symbolically making them different directories) and I'll see if that works.

If LibreELEC allows bind mounting (mounting a directory as a separate mount), I'll try that next, but LibreELEC, seems to be pretty bare bones and automatic, so that might out of the question.

I'm not sure why the mention of AI since it finds my TV or my Movies just great in the same directory, just not at the same time.

There just seems to be a policy for KODI to not allow a duplicate directory for some reason and for many years they've been unable or unwilling to compromise on this point. Other than this, it's a great project.
(2019-12-19, 16:18)jimbolaya Wrote: There just seems to be a policy for KODI to not allow a duplicate directory for some reason and for many years they've been unable or unwilling to compromise on this point.

Movies and TV shows are simply two different entities. One is fire, the other is water. They don't mix.

A policy... unwilling to compromise for many years... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(2019-12-19, 17:35)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-12-19, 16:18)jimbolaya Wrote: There just seems to be a policy for KODI to not allow a duplicate directory for some reason and for many years they've been unable or unwilling to compromise on this point.

Movies and TV shows are simply two different entities. One is fire, the other is water. They don't mix.

A policy... unwilling to compromise for many years... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
I don't dispute that they're different entities.

As it's a design/policy decision, I merely disagree with it and looking at past posts, it appears that many others have the same disgruntlement. It enforces a seemingly trivial organizational preference over user desires. That there's no trivial way to override it mars the user freindliness of KODI.

It doesn't mean that I'll stop using KODI, but I will try to find ways around it.
Why is there a need to mix tv shows and movies? What are you trying to achieve?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-12-19, 20:57)Karellen Wrote: Why is there a need to mix tv shows and movies? What are you trying to achieve?

Sigh. I'm not trying to "achieve" anything. There is no "need" to mix them, this is how the system happened over time, originally and currently as a MythTV box. In all likelihood, if I'd started out with XMBC I'd have organized my stuff the way XMBC organizes things. It's just the way things happen.

It seems silly to me to change the way I do things if they're different than "how things must be done" unless there's a specific technical need to do so.

It's curious to me that it seems to upset folks so much that I've got all my videos in my video folder, whether they're movies or tv shows or music videos or whatnot. I'd rather get around something that I see as an unnecessary limitation rather than bend my organization to something that is an optional, albeit desirable, application.
(2019-12-19, 22:33)jimbolaya Wrote: unless there's a specific technical need to do so.

Well there is a specific technical need, how else would Kodi know if a video file is a tv show episode or a movie.
(2019-12-19, 22:33)jimbolaya Wrote: something that I see as an unnecessary limitation rather than bend my organization to something that is an optional, albeit desirable, application.
*Sigh*, sure why would you want to crate a logical organisational system, when you can come on here and whine and expect volunteers to bend to your (illogical) needs.

Just reorganise your media and stop wasting our time.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-12-19, 18:09)jimbolaya Wrote: As it's a design/policy decision
The meta-data scrapers sites are different for TV vs Movies, although in the case of IMDB, they keep it all. The scrapers will not give episode information and the scrape will likely be manual for each listing., In the end the episodes will be incomplete and scrambled.
(2019-12-19, 22:42)Karellen Wrote: Just reorganise your media and stop wasting our time.
It's a simple solution, and is the obvious answer.
(2019-12-19, 22:38)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-12-19, 22:33)jimbolaya Wrote: unless there's a specific technical need to do so.

Well there is a specific technical need, how else would Kodi know if a video file is a tv show episode or a movie. 
Seems to me when you scan the folder and tell it what kind of of content it is , that shoould be a dead give-way. Smile If I understand correctly many people want to have one main folder.. Let say it's called ALL VIDEOS/ Under  there are two sub folders.. )1. TV and 2) Movies 

you add omne source, ALL VIDEOSo. Then each of the folders, when you scan, You tell  Kodi the content type. Why is that so hard?
(2019-12-29, 23:39)brmwia Wrote: Then each of the folders, when you scan, You tell  Kodi the content type. Why is that so hard?
If you want to assign each of your folders, go ahead.
We prefer to keep things simple.
(2019-12-29, 23:39)brmwia Wrote: Let say it's called ALL VIDEOS/ Under  there are two sub folders.. )1. TV and 2) Movies 

you add omne source, ALL VIDEOSo. Then each of the folders, when you scan, You tell  Kodi the content type. Why is that so hard?

And what is so hard with using each sub folder separately for each content type?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to share TV Show and Movie path?0