Broken .edl Files in Kodi 18.5
I would just like to add one more voice (mine) to add to the weight of importance of EDL files. I use this feature in the exact same way, and was having the exact same issue. I'm glad I found this thread, I deleted the comments sections that were being made in the EDL file and it fixed the issue. Thank you!

I dunno if Kodi necessarily needs to be fixed or maybe just tweaking the very dated add-on - mute profanity would be the easier solution.
This was addressed for Matrix https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17166

Martin
Hello All,
I discovered .edl functionality yesterday. However, I tried with current 18.8 Kodi & it would Not work.
incidentally I had 18.5 installed which has worked without any difficulty 
Is it known that 18.8 is unable to handle .edl files?
Kodi 18.8 & 19 tested on Windows & Android ( Shield )  Running video files via SMB shares . 
.edl Files working smoothly on Android even with SMB shares.
On windows its broken, if you add the file directly then its playing without any hitch
So Bug in wondows Kodi plyaback for .edl files using SMB Shares.
initially tested & Reported on the Mute Profanity Addon thread .
I do not wish to double up the threads but this is probably the more appropriate thread as it deals directly with .edl files.
In case anyone is interested, I have developed a web app to create .edl files and modified / filtered (family friendly) subtitle files.

https://www.filterflix.com

Regarding the creation of .edl files:
  • 2 .edl files are created.
    • One is the regular "ready to use" .edl file.  This is a bit different from the ones we may be used to seeing from the "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" Kodi plugin.  
      • There is no preamble of **** which was causing certain versions of kodi to skip the .edl file. (and thus not work)
      • The "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" .edl file only listed the word that was skipped which sometimes made it hard to determine if it was an "appropriate" skip or not.  This one will list the phrase so that the word can be seen in context and thus the decision of whether to include the skip or not is easier to make
    • The other edl file created here is a "testing" edl.  BIG THANKS to @MovieCleanup for this idea!!!  Angel (See his post here).  He brilliantly created a windows script that would create a testing edl from the regular edl file on your computer. I decided to include the creation of a similar testing edl file (through a different process) automatically at the same time as the regular .edl file creation.
      • When you want to use the "Testing" .edl file, the file name needs to be renamed by removing the "TESTING" text and thus match the movie file (and thus the regular .edl will need to be temporarily renamed or moved out of the folder)
      • When watching the movie in kodi, The Testing .edl file will have kodi skip the movie to 5 seconds before and a few seconds after every "mute" / filtered word.  This way, you can "test" the timing of the filters as sometimes the subtitles don't exactly match up with the dialogue.  Adjustments can thus be made to the timing of the filter. (Obviously the timing adjustments will need to be made in the regular .EDL file as well!!)
  • There is an option to filter ALL profanities (STRICT) or to not filter a list of a few words.  (I could build this out further, not sure yet.)
  • Filter Timing - If you have a really good subtitle / dialogue match, you may want to try the option to "Mute Predicted Word Position".  This sets the mute to occur at the predicted time within the subtitle line according to when the swear occurs.  Thus - a much shorter mute but slightly higher chance of missing the profanity. . . . The other option is to filter the entire line which is what the "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" Kodi plugin does.

Regarding the creation of modified subtitle (.srt) files:
  • There is an option for the "to be filtered" words in the subtitle file to be replaced with optional text.
    • You can choose a single word
      • Marshmallow, Watermelon
    • you can choose a category from which a random word will be selected for each separate filtered word.
      • Random Fruits and Vegetables, Random Mythological Gods, Random Cheeses, Random Animals
  • 2 subtitle (SRT) files will be created.
    • One subtitle file will have the entire subtitles (with the filtered words replaced.)
    • The other subtitle file will ONLY contain those subtitles whose lines were muted by the filter. Accordingly, if you turn the subtitles on for the movie and choose this subtitle file, the (modified) subtitles will only be displayed during muted sections.  

I am NOT a programmer.  I don't have any coding training.  This was simply a pandemic project that I worked through with much trial and error and reading forums and watching youtube videos!!   So if there are any suggestions let me know, though my skill set here is rather limited . . .
(2021-02-13, 18:12)Astrocyte74 Wrote: In case anyone is interested, I have developed a web app to create .edl files and modified / filtered (family friendly) subtitle files.

• One is the regular "ready to use" .edl file.  This is a bit different from the ones we may be used to seeing from the "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" Kodi plugin.  
      • There is no preamble of **** which was causing certain versions of kodi to skip the .edl file. (and thus not work)
      • The "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" .edl file only listed the word that was skipped which sometimes made it hard to determine if it was an "appropriate" skip or not.  This one will list the phrase so that the word can be seen in context and thus the decision of whether to include the skip or not is easier to make
    • The other edl file created here is a "testing" edl.  BIG THANKS to @MovieCleanup for this idea!!!  Angel (See his post here).  He brilliantly created a windows script that would create a testing edl from the regular edl file on your computer. I decided to include the creation of a similar testing edl file (through a different process) automatically at the same time as the regular .edl file creation.
      • When you want to use the "Testing" .edl file, the file name needs to be renamed by removing the "TESTING" text and thus match the movie file (and thus the regular .edl will need to be temporarily renamed or moved out of the folder)
      • When watching the movie in kodi, The Testing .edl file will have kodi skip the movie to 5 seconds before and a few seconds after every "mute" / filtered word.  This way, you can "test" the timing of the filters as sometimes the subtitles don't exactly match up with the dialogue.  Adjustments can thus be made to the timing of the filter. (Obviously the timing adjustments will need to be made in the regular .EDL file as well!!)
  • There is an option to filter ALL profanities (STRICT) or to not filter a list of a few words.  (I could build this out further, not sure yet.)
  • Filter Timing - If you have a really good subtitle / dialogue match, you may want to try the option to "Mute Predicted Word Position".  This sets the mute to occur at the predicted time within the subtitle line according to when the swear occurs.  Thus - a much shorter mute but slightly higher chance of missing the profanity. . . . The other option is to filter the entire line which is what the "Open Beta - Mute Profanity" Kodi plugin does.

• There is an option for the "to be filtered" words in the subtitle file to be replaced with optional text.
    • you can choose a category from which a random word will be selected for each separate filtered word.
      • Random Fruits and Vegetables, Random Mythological Gods, Random Cheeses, Random Animals
    • One subtitle file will have the entire subtitles (with the filtered words replaced.)
    • The other subtitle file will ONLY contain those subtitles whose lines were muted by the filter. Accordingly, if you turn the subtitles on for the movie and choose this subtitle file, the (modified) subtitles will only be displayed during muted sections.  

I am NOT a programmer.  I don't have any coding training.  This was simply a pandemic project that I worked through with much trial and error and reading forums and watching youtube videos!!   So if there are any suggestions let me know, though my skill set here is rather limited . . .

Wow, this is awesome. I'm gonna try it out later.
(2020-09-30, 00:17)shaktoo Wrote: Kodi 18.8 & 19 tested on Windows & Android ( Shield )  Running video files via SMB shares . 
.edl Files working smoothly on Android even with SMB shares.
On windows its broken, if you add the file directly then its playing without any hitch
So Bug in wondows Kodi plyaback for .edl files using SMB Shares.
initially tested & Reported on the Mute Profanity Addon thread .
I do not wish to double up the threads but this is probably the more appropriate thread as it deals directly with .edl files.
I have a follow up response and some input.

1) I think a database of pre-made EDL files would be beneficial. I get that various sources will vary and timing could be off, but a few quick edits may be all someone needs, and it could be a quick way of doing that. And I think it's possible a large number of people get their files from similar places... Wink

2) Similar to the "Mute Profanity" Kodi Plugin from awhile back, I really liked how much you could customize the words that were muted. It had a general default that was probably good enough, but you could also add or remove anything you wanted. "Filter Strictness" is a good start but i think allowing the user to edit the words is a really cool feature. 

3) I believe most software like Kodi using EDL files in playback, support timestamps in this format: HH:MM:SS.sss as shown here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Edit_decision_lis...s%20played

I like that timestamp better than the current format (looks like it's using cumulative seconds/milliseconds: "03969.761    03970.381    1    #Muted: what the hell? 1hr6m9s") because it's easier to use when inserting a manual skip 0 of a scene. For example kodi should be able to use:

HH:MM:SS

00:30:45    00:30:48 1
01:35:20    01:36:02 0 (manually inserted skip)
01:37:55    01:37:57 1

That's all for now! Very impressed so far with what progress you've made!
(2021-02-13, 18:12)Astrocyte74 Wrote: In case anyone is interested, I have developed a web app to create .edl files and modified / filtered (family friendly) subtitle files.

Is filterflix.com still working? I used it for the first time last week, and it worked great. I like the options much better than other solutions that I tried, however I now cannot seem to get it to work now.

I really like the options on this, such as muting the word only when having an accurate subtitle file. Felt so much cleaner than the MuteProfanity plugin.
I'm a Mute Profanity plugin user here and so far my go to has been to use an old copy of Kodi 16.1 (Jarvis) to run the plug in on a Windows computer and I also use this to test to make sure my EDL files are working.
My main playback device is a RaspBerry Pi 3 that I have Kodi 16.1 (Jarvis) on. I've tried later builds of Kodi but they've always had some quirks with using these EDL files, plus I watch a lot of 3D movies and there's been some later builds that have difficultly with that. Since I have a solution that works and it hasn't become imperative to update, but I'm curious what the other MP folks are using currently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.edl Files in Kodi 18.50