Broken .edl Files in Kodi 18.5
@Astrocyte74 I have raised https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17166 which if accepted will fix this for Matrix.  If it does get accepted, I'll raise it against Leia to see if we can get it into 18.6

The reason you get the error is that a # means frame in edl speak.  So #100 means start at frame 100.  When Kodi reads your files, it therefore expects that there will be a number following the #.  When there isn't, it throws an error into the log and disregards the entire edl file.  The PR allows Kodi to skip any lines that start with ## so it will read the edl file correctly.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
@black_eagle  - thanks so much for taking the time to submit this on GitHub!  I look forward to hopefully having this resolved for future releases!

I mentioned this on the GitHub forum, though will repeat it here in case any other users here have any suggestions / comments:

These same .edl files, with their "####" nested comments, have been working well for all version of Kodi prior to v18.5.

Accordingly, perhaps v18.5's "Fixes to commercial skip (EDL) processing" may have altered Kodi's ability to distinguish between comments and EDL decisions.

There is Kodi / GitHub case about this entitled - "Kodi 18.4 does not skip commericals #16564" - that was closed / resolved on September 3, 2019 - perhaps this is where this change occurred?
@black_eagle explained the issue perfectly edl files don't support comment which also explains why you have been getting error messages in all your previous versions of Kodi.

For me all along the issue has been that a backport feature added late in v18 broke comskip and that backport should have been removed and the comskip ramifications fully addressed in Matrix but my comment was not listened too.   Unfortunately comskip is considered a PVR feature even though it predates PVR.

Martin
That's very interesting, thanks @emveepee  - I didn't actually realize that there were also error messages from these .edl files in the previous versions of Kodi. . . .   (I haven't looked through the posted error log reports - this is the 1st time I've ever generated / posted them.).   

It is still interesting, though, that - error message or not - these .edl files still worked fine pre 18.5.   

I'm starting to think, in the mean time,  it may be easier to just go back and edit my .edl files to remove the comment lines.
Doing a quick search on how to "find and replace" a string of text from multiple text files (for free), it looks like even good old microsoft notepad has this feature. (link).  (Fortunately, the comment lines are the same for every file generated by this kodi plugin I've been using)

Hopefully the root cause with comskip will be addressed going forward.
Even though the plugin should not really be generating comments (as there is no spec in edl files for comments) core should be able to handle them really.  Aborting the reading of an entire .edl file because the second character of a line is # instead of a number isn't really what the core should be doing.  It should be able to handle that gracefully and just skip any irrelevant lines (in my opinion anyway).  This is certainly the behaviour of other parts of core where debug logging shows that things have been read in from files that are not used/understood yet reading continues.
@Astrocyte74 PR has been merged into master https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17166 so will be in nightlies going forwards.
(2020-01-17, 14:03)black_eagle Wrote: @Astrocyte74 PR has been merged into master https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17166 so will be in nightlies going forwards.

Wow that’s fantastic news! Thanks so much for taking the lead on this and following it through!!

On the GitHub thread it was mentioned

“I added a small note on the wiki about the feature for v19.”

Does this mean that this will be included with the nightlies for Kodi 19 or also for the pending Kodi 18.6?
(2020-01-17, 15:33)Astrocyte74 Wrote: Does this mean that this will be included with the nightlies for Kodi 19 or also for the pending Kodi 18.6?

Currently it's V19 only.  As it's a simple enough fix I guess I could open a new PR against V18 although I'm slightly hesitant as it's stated in the wiki that it's a 'new feature' for v19.
(2020-01-10, 20:28)Astrocyte74 Wrote: OK I think I figured it out!

The .edl files created by the Mute Profanity Plugin include an introductory and ending line that is nested with ###

###### This section is automatically maintained by the Mute Profanity plugin ######
00123.101    00125.458    1    #Muted
00311.228    00312.449    1    #Muted
00327.244    00328.244    1    #Muted
###### END Mute Profanity plugin section ######

If I remove these ## nested  lines (I need to remove from both the top and bottom)  the .edl file loads properly and everything works.  If there is even just a single # in those lines, the file won't work.

Strange that this wasn't a problem with all other Kodi versions.

Thanks for your help with this everyone!

2 follow up questions though:

1) Is this considered a "bug" that I should report / submit somewhere?  I suppose I can go through my several hundred .edl files and remove those lines manually, but if this could be fixed in kodi 18.6,  it may be nice!  I suspect this was an inadvertent result of 18.5's "Fixes to commercial skip (EDL) processing". 

2) There is still the annoying audio sync issue for a few seconds before and after every '1' (mute) where as with kodi 16.1 (and earlier builds) the mute worked perfectly.  Should I report this somewhere?

Thanks again for all your help!

Regarding #2 that there is still a sync issue.
Please take a look at my github issue request that I started
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17328

Can you comment over there to re-iterate what I said. This is my personal experience and I hope it's the same issue you're experiencing.
Let me know and echo my request if you can over there too!
(2020-01-17, 14:03)black_eagle Wrote: @Astrocyte74 PR has been merged into master https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17166 so will be in nightlies going forwards.

Can you get a new Debug Log for us to give 2 examples of this audio jumping forward bug if it occurs exactly how I described it here

"Kodi acknowledges the start of a mute in an edl file precisely at the right time.
However the problem is that instead of starting the silence it plays the next available sound which is of course the sound that comes directly after the labeled mute time ends. It will play a short or long amount of time of that audio following the marked end then silence through the end of the marked mute time until it catches up to what it played at the start of the mute."
(2020-01-17, 15:33)Astrocyte74 Wrote:

Wow that’s fantastic news! Thanks so much for taking the lead on this and following it through!!

On the GitHub thread it was mentioned

“I added a small note on the wiki about the feature for v19.”

Does this mean that this will be included with the nightlies for Kodi 19 or also for the pending Kodi 18.6? 

^^^ Sorry wrong person quoted. Read above please Astrocyte
(2020-02-06, 19:49)littlegandhi1199 Wrote:

Can you get a new Debug Log for us to give 2 examples of this audio jumping forward bug if it occurs exactly how I described it here

"Kodi acknowledges the start of a mute in an edl file precisely at the right time.
However the problem is that instead of starting the silence it plays the next available sound which is of course the sound that comes directly after the labeled mute time ends. It will play a short or long amount of time of that audio following the marked end then silence through the end of the marked mute time until it catches up to what it played at the start of the mute."  
Probably the person(s) you need to contact here are the video and audio devs.  I'm not going to ping them here with the '@' in front of their names, but Fritsch is the audio guy and (currently retired from Kodi but extremely knowledgeable about audio and video) FernetMenta. One of those two is likely to be your best bet in sorting this issue. Audio/video processing is a bit above my paygrade Smile
(2020-02-08, 21:35)black_eagle Wrote:
(2020-02-06, 19:49)littlegandhi1199 Wrote:

Probably the person(s) you need to contact here are the video and audio devs.  I'm not going to ping them here with the '@' in front of their names, but Fritsch is the audio guy and (currently retired from Kodi but extremely knowledgeable about audio and video) FernetMenta. One of those two is likely to be your best bet in sorting this issue. Audio/video processing is a bit above my paygrade Smile 

Are you aware of how much time I have until Kodi 19 is supposed to be coming out?
I don't mind leaving it in the github if someone eventually checks it out and pushes it up the right channels (people relevant to kodi code today)
Are you on Windows? I was just adding you to see if you would atleast check out the github "https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17328" and try to reproduce the issue and then leave a comment saying you could and I'm not crazy. Since the only other guy who knows what I'm talking about (astrocyte ^^^) isn't responding...
(2020-02-08, 21:56)littlegandhi1199 Wrote: Are you on Windows?

No. Linux.  I can try and reproduce it, but to be honest, I use edl to skip adverts/commercials in stuff I've recorded (which it does really well).  I've seen the issue reported on github and if I can reproduce it, I'll comment as such. FWIW, skipping commercials with edl files does not show any issues with audio, but skipping is not the same as muting and continuing playing.  Could be a platform issue (windows vs Linux) or could be audio/video related.  I will try and help if I can but I can't make any promises.
Yeah I noticed your signature "Learning Linux the hard way"
Hoped you hadn't dropped yourself into it.
Okay. Someone else on linux said they didn't experience it though either so it yea probably doesn't matter unless you do experience it.
No problem
Thanks later

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.edl Files in Kodi 18.50