• 90(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2021-04-04, 16:03)lanzorg Wrote: Do you have an HDR capable television or monitor?

Yes .... added it to my post. SONY KD-48A9
(2021-04-04, 13:37)nsnhd Wrote: When choosing "Software" for "GUI Settings > Player > Render Method" then only 2 options are available for "Video Settings > Video Scaling Method" such as "Auto/DXVA" or "Auto/Bilinear". Does that mean that Kodi only supports these scaling algos or because of the CPU limitation ? When choosing "Pixel Shaders" then up to Lanczos 3 can be selected.

OSD Video Settings > Video Scaling Method only shows options that are currently supported by render method is active at this moment.

Render method "Software" only supports Auto and Bilinear  (Auto = Bilinear in that case)

Take into account that recommended or "best" settings are:

Render method = Auto detect  (defaults to DXVA if DXVA2 is enabled and is supported)
DXVA2 HW acceleration = Enabled
Scaling method = DXVA
Deinterlacing method = DXVA

In other words: you not need use Software render method if you have an Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3026225)
(2021-04-04, 16:04)NRWler04 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 16:03)lanzorg Wrote: Do you have an HDR capable television or monitor?

Using Pixel-Shader as Rendering Method gives quite better results than Automatic .... not sure, whether it's the best possible..... but better .....
(2021-04-04, 21:10)NRWler04 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 16:04)NRWler04 Wrote:

Using Pixel-Shader as Rendering Method gives quite better results than Automatic .... not sure, whether it's the best possible..... but better .....

Forgot to say ...
GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL:
Refresh rate: 59 or 60 Hz => Changed to 30Hz ......

results little bit better than before with Iris HD 655 ...... not what I expected. But it's new Hardware .... let's see .....
(2021-04-04, 17:15)jogal Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 13:37)nsnhd Wrote: When choosing "Software" for "GUI Settings > Player > Render Method" then only 2 options are available for "Video Settings > Video Scaling Method" such as "Auto/DXVA" or "Auto/Bilinear". Does that mean that Kodi only supports these scaling algos or because of the CPU limitation ? When choosing "Pixel Shaders" then up to Lanczos 3 can be selected.

OSD Video Settings > Video Scaling Method only shows options that are currently supported by render method is active at this moment.

Render method "Software" only supports Auto and Bilinear  (Auto = Bilinear in that case)

Take into account that recommended or "best" settings are:

Render method = Auto detect  (defaults to DXVA if DXVA2 is enabled and is supported)
DXVA2 HW acceleration = Enabled
Scaling method = DXVA
Deinterlacing method = DXVA

In other words: you not need use Software render method if you have an Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3026225)
Considering what's possible with mpv, scaling algorithms really are a weak point in Kodi currently. :-(
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2021-04-04, 10:35)jogal Wrote:
(2021-03-28, 12:48)Oliver74 Wrote: Llooking good on my samsung tv i don't have its settings below

https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+...lack+level

I finally found the option in the settings to hide HDMI black level, on the other hand the option is grayed out how to do?
Using the HDMI black level Settings General External Device Manager HDMI Black Level Try Now HDMI Black Level adjusts the black level to compensate for low black levels, low contrast, or dull colors produced by external devices connected to the TV via an HDMI cable This function is only available if the input signal, connected to the TV via an HDMI connector, is set to RGB444.
(2021-04-05, 20:59)Oliver74 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 10:35)jogal Wrote:
(2021-03-28, 12:48)Oliver74 Wrote: Llooking good on my samsung tv i don't have its settings below

https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+...lack+level

I finally found the option in the settings to hide HDMI black level, on the other hand the option is grayed out how to do?
Using the HDMI black level Settings General External Device Manager HDMI Black Level Try Now HDMI Black Level adjusts the black level to compensate for low black levels, low contrast, or dull colors produced by external devices connected to the TV via an HDMI cable This function is only available if the input signal, connected to the TV via an HDMI connector, is set to RGB444.

Take your panel out of PC mode.  Using that, many options are greyed out.  Use another mode such as Home Theatre System.  Once you do that, HDMI black level isn't greyed out and you can select 'Normal'.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I found I had to run kodi so as not to have the option grayed out, thank you again.
(2021-04-05, 15:32)ashlar Wrote: Considering what's possible with mpv, scaling algorithms really are a weak point in Kodi currently. :-(

You must understand some points:
  • Bilinear is only used with render method Software.
  • Hardly anyone uses (or needs to use) render method Software.
  • DXVA scaling is based on HW / video driver implementation.
  • DXVA scaling is usually better than Bicubic, Lanczos2, Spline36, etc...
  • DXVA render method is the one used by default if DXVA2 (video decoding) is enabled and supported.
  • If a scaling method not compatible with DXVA is selected (e.g. Bilinear) Kodi defaults to DXVA scaling when using render method DXVA. (*)
  • People can't change the default values if they don't know what it is. So 99% of people use render method DXVA / scaling method DXVA which is just the best combination.

(*) Typical log message: WARNING current scaling method is not compatible with render method. (or something like that)  is for this reason. 

To avoid this "cosmetic only" issue on OSD video settings choose scaling method DXVA and "Set as default  for all media"
im coming from kodi 17, with MADVR for my HDR Library.. 
Kodi 19 is way easier, it just works. 
if your sure hardware is capable ,  and all your setting are correct. you having trouble with HDR play back. its your drivers. 
  im on a older AMD drivers. 
just test different drivers until it works.
(2021-04-04, 21:20)NRWler04 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 21:10)NRWler04 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 16:04)NRWler04 Wrote: Yes .... added it to my post. SONY KD-48A9

Forgot to say ...
GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL:
Refresh rate: 59 or 60 Hz => Changed to 30Hz ......

results little bit better than before with Iris HD 655 ...... not what I expected. But it's new Hardware .... let's see .....

Are there any ideas or experiences with the new NUC11 and HDR settings? For now Pixel Shading gives the best result ...... but looking TV it seems, that it is like interlaced mode .....
(2021-04-06, 14:17)jogal Wrote: DXVA scaling is usually better than Bicubic, Lanczos2, Spline36

Yeah, not sure about that, to be honest. Last I remember reading, we were more or less on Lanczos3 level. In the intervening years, scaling algorithms based on machine learning (madVR's NGU, FSRCNNX) lead to far better results. NGU is proprietary, but FSRCNNX is not which is why I'm saddened by seeing Kodi's upscaling capabilities stuck with years old technology. Since I can't code anything, I can simply point to stuff that I think is better but I cannot help. Hence I usually keep my mouth shut and I'm thankful for what we have.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Which NUC should I buy for best Windows + Kodi HDR experience?

1. Intel NUC10i3FNH2
2. Intel NUC8i5BEK2 (yes i5)

They are the same price, the NUC8i5BEK2 is more powerful but what about Kodi for HTPC use?
(2021-04-23, 07:30)lanzorg Wrote: Which NUC should I buy for best Windows + Kodi HDR experience?

1. Intel NUC10i3FNH2
2. Intel NUC8i5BEK2 (yes i5)

They are the same price, the NUC8i5BEK2 is more powerful but what about Kodi for HTPC use?
Intel i3 NUCs have plenty of processor and graphics power for mere video and audio processing.

I just bought a 2nd NUC8i3BEH for $260 Australian Dollars here, being sold off since no longer current model. Bargain.
I would like to know about "support" for Dolby Vision.
The NUC devices are not Dolby Vision compatible and not going to, right?
Any news about it?

Tone mapping is currently not possible for DV but it could be possible in the future.

The Intel UHD 655 is more powerful than Intel UHD 620.
So it's maybe more future proof to buy the NUC8 device over the NUC10. No?
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2