• 91(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
Hi, is there any sticky that has the best optimal setting for HTPC running win10?
Thanks.
(2021-04-23, 10:27)Waterbottle23 Wrote: Hi, is there any sticky that has the best optimal setting for HTPC running win10?
Thanks.

There is a "RECOMMENDED SETTINGS" paragraph on the first post of this thread.
(2021-04-23, 19:05)lanzorg Wrote:
(2021-04-23, 10:27)Waterbottle23 Wrote: Hi, is there any sticky that has the best optimal setting for HTPC running win10?
Thanks.

There is a "RECOMMENDED SETTINGS" paragraph on the first post of this thread.
Thanks. 
Think those recommended settings were there when Matrix was still in development phase. 
Am already on those. 
Just wondering with the full release version of Matrix, is there other optimal settings. 
Win10 graphics setting by default we choose let video player decides. 
So am also thinking if that is the best option or we can load a tone map into Kodi.
hello friends I hope you can help me.
i have ryzen 3 3200g with vega 8 graphics
qled q70r Samsung 65 inch 4k hdr tv
benq tk850 4k hdr projector

the problem is that I don't know what range to choose on the pc, amd graphics, I get several options and only in ycbcr 4.2.0 it lets me select 10 bpc or 12
in the others only 8.

I knew that in sdr, full full rgb was chosen, in full kodi and in full tv or projector.
but in 4k uhd i have no idea

Please if you can help me.

everyone says that if the pc is in full rgb and 8 bits, in kodi when playing 4k hdr movies, kodi automatically switches to 10 bits, but when you do that and see in info the avr denon keeps saying 8 bits, what is the right way?

because if I put the pc in 10 bits, the 8-bit sdr movies will look bad in 10 bits
(2021-05-02, 18:51)Lobofer85 Wrote: everyone says that if the pc is in full rgb and 8 bits, in kodi when playing 4k hdr movies, kodi automatically switches to 10 bits, but when you do that and see in info the avr denon keeps saying 8 bits, what is the right way?

because if I put the pc in 10 bits, the 8-bit sdr movies will look bad in 10 bits
U can google about 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 sampling. 
An example is here. https://www.digitaltrends.com/photograph...explained/
Previously I read before on either 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and how many bits. 
In the end i vaguely recalled that 4:2:0 is good enough. 
Can’t remember all. 
But I can’t visually see diff.
I'm wondering about Intel UHD Graphics 600 compatibility with this build. The NUC listed in the description as having been tested has Iris graphics, and I searched the thread and found some seemingly positive posts from users running slightly more competent versions of UHD Graphics, e.g. 620.

I'm really wondering about specifically the 600 version, as there are attractive x86-based SBCs out there with a very low TDP that offer these graphics. I'm looking to be able to play back 4k content with HDR on such a chip, preferably 60 Hz, but not a deal-breaker.

Is any one of you running on a chip like this? Or have tried it?

Thanks Smile
(2021-05-23, 16:32)DanielSB Wrote: I'm wondering about Intel UHD Graphics 600 compatibility with this build. The NUC listed in the description as having been tested has Iris graphics, and I searched the thread and found some seemingly positive posts from users running slightly more competent versions of UHD Graphics, e.g. 620.

I'm really wondering about specifically the 600 version, as there are attractive x86-based SBCs out there with a very low TDP that offer these graphics. I'm looking to be able to play back 4k content with HDR on such a chip, preferably 60 Hz, but not a deal-breaker.

Is any one of you running on a chip like this? Or have tried it?

Thanks Smile
I'll answer this myself. The Intel UHD Graphics do NOT support HDR. They do support 10-bit 4k HEVC encoding and decoding, but pathetically, they didn't think to make this work for HDR.
Tested on Intel NUC NUC8i3BEH and Sony ke55xh8096 TV.
x264 no problem x265 4k hdr micro stuttering.
Settings kodi as on this topic.
Clean windows 10 prof all updates.

19.2 nightly build

Is this to confirm we need to set at 2 seconds

(Delay after change refresh rate) as mentioned recommended settings page 1?
No. That commit is android specific. Has no effect on windows at all.
(2021-06-14, 21:41)Fuzzard Wrote: No. That commit is android specific. Has no effect on windows at all.

Thank you
I'm having some trouble getting the settings of my Windows HTPC and/or Kodi 19.1 correct. I do get HDR, but the refresh rate nor bit depth switches.
I believe the problem is that the TV doesn't support 23.97Hz, and I knowingly don't allow that refresh rate in the Kodi whitelist, as that results in a black screen.
Maybe someone has a few suggestions how I can get it right/better.

This is my hardware:
Windows 10 based HTPC with Intel Skylake CPU and NVIDIA GT 1030 GPU (for HDMI 2.0 out)
Denon AVC-X3700H receiver
Sony BD-85XH9096 (=EU version of X900H)
Sony UBP-X800 UHD player

I know the receiver and TV aren't the issue, as when I feed them a 4K/24p HDR HEVC disc through the BDROM I get: 4K24  HDR10  YCbCr 4:4:4  BT.2020 12bits

However, when I play a 4K HDR10 MKV I get 4K60 8-bit HDR10.

MKV video properties:
    Resolution: 3840x2160px
    Frame rate: 23.976 fps
    Bit depth: 10 bits
    HDR format: HDR10
    Color space: YUV
    Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
    Color range: Limited
    Color primaries: BT.2020

These are my settings:
NVIDIA Control Panel:
    Resolution: 3840 x 2160
    Refresh rate: 60 Hz
    Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
    Output color depth: 8 bpc
    Output color format: RGB
    Output dynamic range: Full
Kodi 19.1:
Settings > System > Display:

Resolution: 3840x2160p
    Use full screen window: OFF
    Delay after change refresh rate: 2.0 seconds
    Use limited color range (16-235): OFF
    Whitelist: 3840x2160p 60.00Hz / 50.00Hz / 30.00Hz / 25.00Hz / 24.00Hz
                  1920x1080p 120.00Hz / 100.00Hz / 60.00Hz / 50.00Hz / 30.00Hz / 24.00Hz
           --> as mentioned in the spec sheet: https://www.sony.nl/electronics/televisi...ifications
Settings > Player:
    Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop
    Render method = Auto detect
    Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2: ON
    Use display HDR capabilities: ON

I also tried 30Hz on the GPU and in Kodi turning off the delay after refresh rate change, but that doesn't make a real difference.
So far this gives me the best result:
NVIDIA Control Panel:
    Refresh rate: 24 Hz
    Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
    Output color depth: 12 bpc
    Output color format: RGB
    Output dynamic range: Full

Which is a bit better, as I then get something similar to playing a real disc. Only the color space is RGB instead of YCbCr 4:4:4 (don't know if that important): 4K24  HDR10  RGB  BT.2020  12bits

So for movies this is OK. But for internet content or so, running the Windows desktop at 60Hz would be better.
Your settings look decent for the most part.  Try changing Use full screen window to ON.  Render method change to DXVA. Don't whitelist anything.  Your panel should absolutely support 23.976 aka 24 Hz without producing a black screen.  You have a 4k chain and want to upscale everything. 

Leave Nvidia at RGB 60Hz 8 bit (so desktop usage doesn't lag) and when/if 23.976 video auto switches it will output 12 bit and dither down to 10 bit provided you indeed used the 12 bit setting once so Nvidia memory uses it.  When the player quits, matched refresh rate will return to 60Hz 8 bit.  Nvidia PhysX select your GT 1030 and also in your PC bios if offered.  Fwiw, a PC is an RGB device and you should leave that setting to avoid extra processing and color problems.  Your BD player is a YCbCr device which isn't in your PC chain so the Nvidia setting doesn't apply.  

If it doesn't auto match refresh rate, and it should, connect Nvidia HDMI direct to panel HDMI port for testing.  Be sure port is HDR enabled.  Use ANY 6' HDMI cable for test.  Perhaps in your cabling and/or AVR something is bottlenecked even though you tested a disc via BD ROM vs digital media via GPU.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
ahaa!
As per suggestion, I changed a few things. These are now my settings:
NVIDIA Control Panel:
    Refresh rate: 60 Hz
    Use default color settings (instead of forcing a color depth/format/range)
Kodi 19.1:
Settings > System > Display:

Resolution: 3840x2160p
    Use full screen window: On
    Delay after change refresh rate: 2.0 seconds
    Use limited color range (16-235): OFF
    Whitelist: <removed>
Settings > Player:
    Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop
    Render method = DXVA
    Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2: ON
    Use display HDR capabilities: ON