Linux MTP:// Support
Heya,

sadly my android phone does not use usb mass storage but something called MTP.

And while my lubuntu distro seems to accept that without any issues, I cannot get find a way to get access to the MTP:// protocol from within Kodi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smile
I don't think that is supported.  What is your goal?  Use the phone as a source of media on Kodi?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2019-12-08, 15:15)graysky Wrote: I don't think that is supported.  What is your goal?  Use the phone as a source of media on Kodi?

Yup, exactly!
I think you'll need to transfer the content elsewhere (NAS or the local kodi box).  I do not believe that protocol has native support in Kodi.
(2019-12-08, 21:22)graysky Wrote: I think you'll need to transfer the content elsewhere (NAS or the local kodi box).  I do not believe that protocol has native support in Kodi.

That is super weird. There is support for usb mass storage, upnp, ssh, http, webdav, smb, nfs, you name it. But something that's the standard on common mobile phones isn't?
There must be a reason for this.
I'm not saying there isn't, I'm saying I don't think there is... I am not 100% certain.  I assume you googled this and got no definitive answer.
(2019-12-08, 23:45)widardd Wrote: There must be a reason for this.

I think there is: usb mass storage, upnp, ssh, http, webdav, smb, nfs are all protocols that have been around for many years already.
Anything mobile phone related is what .. 2-4 years old?

Playing something like a movie from your phone on a Kodi setup is not common (yet).

Yeah, mtp only supports transfer of files, not functions like opening them or editing them.

EDIT - mtp was declared a fully fledged USB device class in 2008.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-12-09, 00:05)Klojum Wrote:

I think there is: usb mass storage, upnp, ssh, http, webdav, smb, nfs are all protocols that have been around for many years already.
Anything mobile phone related is what .. 2-4 years old?

Playing something like a movie from your phone on a Kodi setup is not common (yet). 

Is it really not? I've done that since I had my first PDA in the mid 90s, the only thing that changed is the protocol. usb mass storage changed to MTP.

I thought with stuff like chromecast it's more common than ever to use your mobile device as a way to carry media.
And which videos did you stream from your PDA back in the day? Big Grin

Chromecast is proprietary software, whereas Kodi stands for open-source.
Those two stands do not mix very well.
(2019-12-09, 00:20)Klojum Wrote: And which videos did you stream from your PDA back in the day? Big Grin

Chromecast is proprietary software, whereas Kodi stands for open-source.
Those two stands do not mix very well.
A horribly async 150megs Matrix.asf, for example. I know that Chromecast is proprietary, I was just adressing your claim that playing something from your phone would not be common.
Playing something from your phone via Kodi would be uncommon.
(2019-12-09, 00:33)Fuzzard Wrote: Playing something from your phone via Kodi would be uncommon.

Hm? I would just use Kodi as a upnp source, I'm not talking about that. I want to give kodi running on a linux htpc access to a file on my phone via MTP over usb.
Yeah, an uncommon use really.

Short answer is, its not implemented, and would need someone interested in that sort of usecase to look at whats required to implement it.

Feel free to dive in if you have that expertise. Help can be gotten from irc if you have any specific questions.
Just use FUSE to mount the phone over MTP to the filesystem, and open it in Kodi from that. You can install jmtpfs on Ubuntu to do that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MTP:// Support0