Unecessary warnings and notices about Jpegs in in the log file - killing my SD Card?
This has been mentioned elsewhere across the internet but its perhaps a real problem if you're running on a Raspberry Pi with an SD Card.

It's been reported that the GPU cannot handle progressive jpegs and indeed I get two entries in the log as per this example:-

2019-12-12 10:45:45.130 T:1540354784 WARNING: COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder
2019-12-12 10:45:45.132 T:1540354784  NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load /media/Multimedia Drive/Pictures/test/Progressive Jpeg.jpg

There is no warning if I use a Baseline Jpeg but the Notice still appears as per this example:-

2019-12-12 10:37:16.226 T:1793061600  NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load /media/Multimedia Drive/Pictures/Five Star/Five Star (23 of 68).jpg

Despite these entries the image displays correctly.  Using a PNG or TIFF doesn't produce any warnings.

Why does this matter to me?   I run my Raspberry Pi with music almost every day while playing a slideshow which changes the image every 10 secs.  This means I get at least one entry added to the log every 10secs.  Over the last 2.5 years since I first started the system this represents somewhere in the region of over 1.5 million writes to the log file on the SD Card just for these image warnings.  For 2 years my system ran ok and in the evening I would switch to watching a video or two but in the last couple of months when I do this the video would crash - first audio would stop, then the video would stop.  Sometimes Kodi completely stops and sometimes I would be lucky to be able to get back to the home screen.  This happened with different videos ( all MKV rips from DVDs) and even a reboot would not improve the chance of playing the video correctly.

In the end I reloaded a new Sd Card with OSMC and Kodi 18.5 - admittedly a later update than my previous system - and the problem seems to have gone away.

The entries about Jpegs in the log file seem unecesarry and potentially causing wear on SD Cards.  Is there any chance they could be removed?

For now I'm going to convert all my images over to PNG or TIFF - however the log fille still continues to get periodically written to with other information which most of the time isn't needed.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
You can turn off logging completely by creating an 'advancedsettings.xml' (if you don't already have one), and adding

xml:
<loglevel>-1</loglevel>

See https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml for more info.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thumbs Up 
(2019-12-12, 14:03)black_eagle Wrote: You can turn off logging completely by creating an 'advancedsettings.xml' (if you don't already have one), and adding

xml:
<loglevel>-1</loglevel>

See https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml for more info.

Thanks for the tip which seems to work although there' still a brief log each time Kodi starts until it realises that it's been asked not to produce one - but a vast improvement.

I'm also going to convert my photo's to tiff format though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unecessary warnings and notices about Jpegs in in the log file - killing my SD Card?0