AMD’s 780G, GeForce 8200 and XBMC?
Anyone have any experience with AMD’s 780G or GeForce 8200 chipsets and XBMC on windows (or Linux for that matter). My little bit of reading and toying says that Nvidia Graphics tend to work a better out of the box then AMD/ATI. That said the AMD 780G appears to be a slightly better product for the sound capabilities.

Toms hardware has a good read on both: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-...,1972.html

But again just looking for insight into them and XBMC as I need some new hardware. The box I was planning on using just will not cut if for HD (P4 2.4Ghz, ATI9800).

Thanks in advance..

Mike
I'm using a 780G (HD3200 onboard) and everything works fine; see my sig for additional detail.

To lend credence to the thought that ATI has had trouble, I had been using a 740G with an HD2400 and had a LOT of trouble in both Linux and Windows....
...and that's why god gave us whiskey.
----------------------------------------------
[old rig removed] ATV2 4.3 Eden 11b2
How do you find 1080p content mixed in with some top end dolby type stuff? Sound by your post that you like the board, mind if I ask what model (brand) you have? Pretty sure this is the way I will go then..

Thanks,

Mike

zeuss-axis Wrote:I'm using a 780G (HD3200 onboard) and everything works fine; see my sig for additional detail.

To lend credence to the thought that ATI has had trouble, I had been using a 740G with an HD2400 and had a LOT of trouble in both Linux and Windows....
Hi there,

I have the 780G (Gigabyte GA- MA78GM- S2H RS780G) - very happy with it. 1080p and digital out. Great chipset - no need for nvidia as long as your using windows (driver related).

Tried the linux version of XBMC first, but catalyst drivers are very buggy (overscan not adjustable, segmentation faults on settings, etc.).

Went to the windows version and everything is running Big Grin

Cheers!
Hi. I also have the Gigabyte GA- MA78GM- S2H RS780G, same as h3llsp4wn. My experience is quite similar to his, no problems under windows, in ubuntu I had problems with underscan that I had a hard time correcting. This was with ubuntu 8.04. With ubuntu 7 I did not have the same problems. Playback of 1080p material with dts/dolby digital works great. I have only tested the hdmi sound output in windows, if I'm going back to linux I have to use optical out because of the lack of hdmi sound support in linux.
I have an ECS A780GM-A, and the only problem I've had is that the Audio utility for the IDT chip is a pain in the ass. Previously, I had a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H, and the 740G didn't really have the horsepower for 1080p, but I liked the board better than my ECS.

Overall, I would recommend the Gigabyte GA- MA78GM- S2H RS780G over my ECS A780GM-A
...and that's why god gave us whiskey.
----------------------------------------------
[old rig removed] ATV2 4.3 Eden 11b2
Thanks for the feedback folks. I guess I will be saving my pennys for a board based on the AMD780G then.
Cheers.

Mike
IMO get stuff that needs no tweaks/messing with...
mobo w/ Intel Chipset
Nvidia 8 series

I'm running this and no issues, period. My HTPC is ASUS P5B Deluxe (wifi & digital audio out onboard) & EVGA 8600GTS ... I highly recommend this setup for a great low-priced, no hassle HTPC.

If you need a card I'm selling both an 8400GS (silent, fanless) & 8600GTS (this card is very nice - I'm upgrading my HTPC to play more games so that is why I'm selling it).

PM me if you are interested.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD’s 780G, GeForce 8200 and XBMC?0