SMB shares
Hi,

I am running kodi on a few devices, all streaming from my mac. I have upgraded to Catalina and so cannot use SMBup. I have activated file sharing, and windows file sharing, and have 2 folders form the mac shared and 2 external drives shared.

I can access one of the folders and one external drive from all kodi apps with no issues, but the other folder and shared drive ask for a username and password. I cannot see any difference in the sharing properties for each share. All allow guest access and provide read only access to 'Everyone'.

Can anyone help me work out why it works for some shares and not others?

Thanks,

Nick
SMBv1 is (finally) no longer deemed secure by Microsoft, so SMBv2+ is now active via various updates, quite likely also on your Apple contraptions.
This also means your SMB server requires a user with full credentials, aka including a password. Guest accounts will no longer be used as that was one of the big problems resulting in 'WannaCry'.
Also network browsing will no longer work for SMB. if you can still access shares via guest access, then your server(s) still have SMBv1 actief. That is not good.
In Kodi you will need to use "Add network location..." via the GUI, enter all details for the SMB source, and things should work again™.
(2019-12-14, 23:42)blessedwalnut Wrote: Hi,

I am running kodi on a few devices, all streaming from my mac. I have upgraded to Catalina and so cannot use SMBup. I have activated file sharing, and windows file sharing, and have 2 folders form the mac shared and 2 external drives shared.

I can access one of the folders and one external drive from all kodi apps with no issues, but the other folder and shared drive ask for a username and password. I cannot see any difference in the sharing properties for each share. All allow guest access and provide read only access to 'Everyone'.

Can anyone help me work out why it works for some shares and not others?

Thanks,

Nick

You can give a try to NFS. It's native and easy. Have a look and report. Made a short tutorial for it.

tutorial
H96 Pro+
Xiaomi Mi S 4K
@myfranco

Kindly change your avatar. Since you are not a Team Kodi member, people might think you are and things can get pretty confusing. Also, the Kodi logo has trademark/copyright properties.

Thanks in advance.
(2019-12-14, 23:53)Klojum Wrote: SMBv1 is (finally) no longer deemed secure by Microsoft, so SMBv2+ is now active via various updates, quite likely also on your Apple contraptions.
This also means your SMB server requires a user with full credentials, aka including a password. Guest accounts will no longer be used as that was one of the big problems resulting in 'WannaCry'.
Also network browsing will no longer work for SMB. if you can still access shares via guest access, then your server(s) still have SMBv1 actief. That is not good.
In Kodi you will need to use "Add network location..." via the GUI, enter all details for the SMB source, and things should work again™.

Hi, I only added the guest access after discovering the two shares that weren't working. This means the initial shares were working fine without guest access. Can you think of any reason why some would be sharing okay but others requiring a username and password? I also discovered that if I add a new shared folder to the list in the Sharing settings on the mac, it does not appear in the browse for new share under Zeroconf Browser or Windows Network (SMB), but the others all do. All 4 were originally setup using SMBup.

Nick
There is also such a thing called "SMB Master Browser", which might 'haunt' your network. Better Google it for more info.
I stepped away from SMB long ago, so I'm not of very much help in Windows setups.
(2019-12-15, 07:30)Klojum Wrote: @myfranco

Kindly change your avatar. Since you are not a Team Kodi member, people might think you are and things can get pretty confusing. Also, the Kodi logo has trademark/copyright properties.

Thanks in advance.

Never thought that way. You're right.
H96 Pro+
Xiaomi Mi S 4K

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB shares0