Linux Unsure of server upgrade.
I'm debating if I need to upgrade to an active raid / zfs for my usage but I can't find any concrete numbers anywhere and have no idea how to calculate it. Hoping someone can offer insight. Currently I have 3 media centers running from a single nfs share. This share is based on mergerfs & snapraid, so i potentially could have all 3 on running on the same hard drive at any given moment. This includes mythtv dvr target. I'd like to upgrade to 5-6 media centers total in the near future. I'm unsure though if a single drive's I/O can handle that many people at the same time, say a different movie on each MC, or 2 using mythtv and other 3 using local media.

I've no idea about the size of mythtv dvr i/o. I do know that on average my movies over nfs is roughly 150kbps. This calced from 1gb files on average over a 2 hour run. Think my math is right. But I'm unsure if a single drive can handle 5-6 different continuous reads like that over a couple hours. The drives are nothing fancy. One is an older WD Blue 250GB, the other is a 2.5" Seagate, both I think are 5400 rpm.

And at the end if this is irrelevant and i won't even come close to a problem, i'd appreciate being told that as well. I'm a bit worried because i'm expecting to add the extra boxes within a month or 2 and don't want to get caught with my pants down so to speak.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unsure of server upgrade.0