Re-Built 119TB UnRAID Server
This is the 'same' server from this previous thread, but between replacing nearly every component except the PSU and case, the OP was so out of date for photos I thought it best to just do a whole new original post.  OS, Mobo, CPU, literally everything has been upgraded since.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=328604

Case: Corsair 750D with extra HDD cages installed. (CAD$185, plus CAD$150 in cages, air flow panel and solid panel to replace the windowed panel.  Shipping and exchange really screwed me here)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 (Free!  A 'hand me down' from upgrading my desktop to a Ryzen 3900X system)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 12 cores. 2.8ghz (CAD$248, recycled part bought from China via eBay.  This is the most powerful CPU that this mobo can support, period.)
RAM: 6x8GB Patriot G2 PGD316G1333ELK 1333mhz DDR3 RAM. (Free!  Another hand me down from the old desktop.)
Graphics: PowerColor PCIE x1 AX5450 512MD2-SH Radeon HD 5450 512mb DDR2 (CAD$74.31  Paid a lot here, I wanted the PCIE x1 variation so I could leave my longer slots free for more important cards.  I coulda gotten the x16 version for like 10bux)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w P2 ($99 CAD)
SAS Controller: LSI LSI00244 9201-16i (CAD$167.94 A lot meaner than the cluster of SYBA controllers my last incarnation used)
Networking: Aquantia AQtion 10G Pro NIC (CAD$104.99)

The Hard Drives
System drives:
1x256GB Samsung EVO 850 (Docker/VMs)
1x500GB Samsung EVO 860 (Cache)
1x2TB Samsung EVO 860 (Download Holding Tank)

Storage Drives:
1x10TB Seagate ST10000DM0004 Baracuda Pro HDD
9x8TB Seagate ST8000DM004 Baracuda Compute HDD
4x8TB Seagate ST8000AS0002 Archive HDD
1x5TB Seagate ST5000LM000 Baracuda HDD

Parity Drives:
1x10TB Seagate ST10000DM0004 Baracuda Pro HDD

This is a lot more kick than the previous incarnation. Smile  It's also running a Plex server and that CPU can transcode like nobody's business.

Since I had to migrate everything, I took the time to neatly label all the drives so they can be maintained clearly and easily as needed

The exterior, including a 4 drive hot swap bay that fits in the 3x5.25" bays.

The full interior

Here you can see the additional internal HDD cages in action. I also labeled every drive for my own sake as I had to migrate everything from FlexRAID to UnRAID anyway.

Top to bottom: LSI 9201-16i SAS controller, a Radeon HD 5450 for basic video output, and a Aquantia AQtion 10G, there's still one long (electrically x4) PCIE slot free if I wanted to add NVME storage or something else.

I went with a NIB PCIE x1 Radeon HD 5450 made by Power Color, why waste PCIE lanes when this could fit in an x1 slot? It's just doing video so no need for the bandwidth.

This is a custom 9xSATA power cable made to fit in here. Though the SATA data cables could not be done as cleanly.

2.5" drives then cover the back of the 3.5" drives. This photo is a bit out of date as Black Friday happened since. So the 2TB mechanical is now a 2TB SSD, same for the 500GB Mechanical being a 500GB SSD cache drive. There was a free slot free so that's where the 15mm 2.5" 5TB drive is mounted too. But you'll have to use your imagination. Smile
Nice to see another Unraid convert. Smile
Wondering why you did not go with a dual parity system? Also am wondering about your hard drive temps? Do you spin up in groups? Also wondering how long your parity check lasts?

I have finally finished upgrading all my drives to 10TB's, all shucked drives. Giving me a total of 150TB of storage, and with the old 8TB drives created another Unraid box with 80TB storage. Both have been running solid. 

I have stopped using my cache drive as a hold for my temp files waiting to get moved on the array and have just have the files going directly to the array instead. This way I don't have any files unprotected at any given time. So my cache hold just appdata (dockers, VM's), seems to work good for me. But with Unraid there are so many options of running it, everyone can find a good solution that fits their needs. 

Congrats on your build.
(2019-12-28, 17:21)Harro Wrote: Nice to see another Unraid convert. Smile
Wondering why you did not go with a dual parity system? Also am wondering about your hard drive temps? Do you spin up in groups? Also wondering how long your parity check lasts?

I have finally finished upgrading all my drives to 10TB's, all shucked drives. Giving me a total of 150TB of storage, and with the old 8TB drives created another Unraid box with 80TB storage. Both have been running solid. 

I have stopped using my cache drive as a hold for my temp files waiting to get moved on the array and have just have the files going directly to the array instead. This way I don't have any files unprotected at any given time. So my cache hold just appdata (dockers, VM's), seems to work good for me. But with Unraid there are so many options of running it, everyone can find a good solution that fits their needs. 

Congrats on your build.
Well, FlexRAID literally had it's dev ghost the world and shut down the site.  So migration was necessary.  Reingesting the data took days and was not fun, ha ha.

Dual parity isn't a huge concern, it's just media.  In the end the files are replaceable or disposable.  Much are rips of my own retail BDMVs and the hardest to replace content (that CAN'T be had on a retail disc) is backed up to 128GB Sony made 50 year archival optical discs.
Nice build. I've built out one of my unRaid servers using the exact same case. It's a BEAST. I've built mine (currently) with a dual parity 10tb drives and combination of 8 & 10tb Western Digital Red drives. I'm using the Xeon E3-1226 CPU, 32gb memory. Motherboard provides two GB network ports, so those are bonded together, connected to a separate network switch that connects to other "dual bonded" media servers used in my setup. I only have a single 250gb SSD cache drive. After performing testing, I discovered anything larger wasn't needed.

To keep it cool I have a fan installed in every available location. I'm not using that additional drive cage that sits in front of the others. I had a problem with those drives getting hot, so it was removed.

I have a total 154 tb (in two unRaid servers) currently I'm at 85%. I've started replacing/upgrading my drives to 14tb.
Love it. I love big builds. I can't comprehend needing that much storage though. For me right now using 2.2tb out of 3.4tb is a big amount. Am I right in guessing you have straight rips from the disk? No compression via handbrake or anything?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Re-Built 119TB UnRAID Server0