How do get Kodi to reflect changes to the NFO file?
I have Kodi installed on my Amazon Fire cube.  The Kodi is connected to my NAS server and I have several hundred DVDs stored on the DVD.  The DVDs are stored in separate directories.  All the movie information are via local scraping, not via scraping from external websites.

I learned about adding movie information for each DVD (https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies).

I created an NFO file for "Ride With the Devil".  In the NFO file, I only added one <actor>, Tobey McGuire.  I then tested this addition by viewing the info of the movie thru Kodi.  The Information selection for Ride With the Devil shows Tobey McGuire.

After this test, I edited the NFO file again and I added more info, including more actors/actresses (Skeet Ulrich, Jewel, Simon Baker, etc.).  I had Kodi rescan the directory for Ride With the Devil.  However, when I examined the movie via Kodi again, the changes to the NFO file were not reflected in the Information selection.  It showed the information from the 1st version of the NFO file.

How do I get Kodi to re-read the edited NFO file and show the updated information?  Is there some cache I need to clear?
What you need to do  is press i or whatever your remote equivalent is on the movie in question to open the Movie information Dialog, then scroll right through the buttons at the bottom and click on 'Refresh'.  Kodi should load your updated .nfo file.  It might also tell you that it has found local information and do you want to refresh from the internet, in which case you should answer 'No' to that.

That last bit might be music only.  I can't test it right now so it's just what I remember !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-01-04, 23:07)black_eagle Wrote: What you need to do  is press i or whatever your remote equivalent is on the movie in question to open the Movie information Dialog, then scroll right through the buttons at the bottom and click on 'Refresh'.  Kodi should load your updated .nfo file.  It might also tell you that it has found local information and do you want to refresh from the internet, in which case you should answer 'No' to that.

That last bit might be music only.  I can't test it right now so it's just what I remember !!
black_eagle:

I tried what you suggested.  I clicked the Refresh button.  Kodi doesn't read the updated .NFO file.  Instead, it gives me a keyboard prompt and asks me to "Enter the Movie Name".  The default is "VIDEO_TS.IFO".  I changed the keyboard entry to "VIDEO_TS.NFO" but that doesn't work - I get the "Enter the Movie Name" again.

I then tried entering the movie name "Ride With the Devil".  That doesn't work either.  The changes to the NFO file are not updated.
(2020-01-04, 23:31)Doomster Wrote:
(2020-01-04, 23:07)black_eagle Wrote: What you need to do  is press i or whatever your remote equivalent is on the movie in question to open the Movie information Dialog, then scroll right through the buttons at the bottom and click on 'Refresh'.  Kodi should load your updated .nfo file.  It might also tell you that it has found local information and do you want to refresh from the internet, in which case you should answer 'No' to that.

black_eagle:

I tried what you suggested.  I clicked the Refresh button.  Kodi doesn't read the updated .NFO file.  Instead, it gives me a keyboard prompt and asks me to "Enter the Movie Name".  The default is "VIDEO_TS.IFO".  I changed the keyboard entry to "VIDEO_TS.NFO" but that doesn't work - I get the "Enter the Movie Name" again.

I then tried entering the movie name "Ride With the Devil".  That doesn't work either.  The changes to the NFO file are not updated.   
If you're seeing a dialog asking for the movie name, it's trying to find it online.  Before that there should have been a dialog box like this:
You have to say NO (which is the default answer) to get the NFO file to reload.  If you aren't seeing this dialog box, then Kodi isn't finding a valid NFO file.  If that's the case it might be worth posting the NFO file so we can take a look.
(2020-01-05, 04:28)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-01-04, 23:31)Doomster Wrote:

black_eagle:

If you're seeing a dialog asking for the movie name, it's trying to find it online.  Before that there should have been a dialog box like this:
You have to say NO (which is the default answer) to get the NFO file to reload.  If you aren't seeing this dialog box, then Kodi isn't finding a valid NFO file.  If that's the case it might be worth posting the NFO file so we can take a look.  

pkscout:

When I select the "i" or Information button, then select "Rescan", I see the dialogbox that you posted.  However, Kodi just breezes by this and does not give me any chance for me to select Yes or No.  Instead, Kodi goes right to the keyboard.  Kodi does show the dialogbox for less than a second though.

As for the validity of the NFO file, when I create a VIDEO_TS.NFO file within the directory of the movie, and then I scan the parent directory for new content, Kodi does show the information from the new VIDEO_TS.NFO file.  However, if I change the VIDEO_TS.NFO file, then the new contents of the VIDEO_TS.NFO file are not reflected when I select the "i" / Information option.

FWIW, I posted the VIDEO_TS.NFO file (in XML format, as shown in the Wiki for NFO files) - link below.  This is the updated version of the NFO file.

https://paste.kodi.tv/vorevemeki

Is there some setting for Kodi that gives me more time to interact with the dialogbox that you posted?
(2020-01-05, 07:05)Doomster Wrote:
(2020-01-05, 05:56)Doomster Wrote:
(2020-01-05, 04:28)pkscout Wrote: If you're seeing a dialog asking for the movie name, it's trying to find it online.  Before that there should have been a dialog box like this:

pkscout:

When I select the "i" or Information button, then select "Rescan", I see the dialogbox that you posted.  However, Kodi just breezes by this and does not give me any chance for me to select Yes or No.  Instead, Kodi goes right to the keyboard.  Kodi does show the dialogbox for less than a second though.

As for the validity of the NFO file, when I create a VIDEO_TS.NFO file within the directory of the movie, and then I scan the parent directory for new content, Kodi does show the information from the new VIDEO_TS.NFO file.  However, if I change the VIDEO_TS.NFO file, then the new contents of the VIDEO_TS.NFO file are not reflected when I select the "i" / Information option.

FWIW, I posted the VIDEO_TS.NFO file (in XML format, as shown in the Wiki for NFO files) - link below.  This is the updated version of the NFO file.

https://paste.kodi.tv/vorevemeki

Is there some setting for Kodi that gives me more time to interact with the dialogbox that you posted? 

OK, I found a workaround (after spending a few hours on this).

I go to the Movies->Library section.  There I delete the movie (in my case, "Ride With the Devil") from the library.

Then I go back to the directory containing the movie and I select "Scan to Library" again. 

After the movie is rescanned back into the library, the movie's info has the updated data.

PS: Please ignore my previous post.  I hit Post Reply by mistake.
I am experimenting with creating VIDEO_TS.NFO files for the DVDs that I ripped onto a NAS server and connected to Kodi.

I'm running Kodi on my Amazon Fire cube.

Each of the DVDs were ripped to separate directories.  Thus, the movies "Ride With the Devil" and "Over the Limit" would have this structure:

- Ride_With_the_Devil
-- VIDEO_TS

- Over_the_Limit
-- VIDEO_TS

The NFO files are placed in the VIDEO_TS sub-directory, as recommended in the Kodi Wiki for NFO files (https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies)

There seems to be a weird bug or something with Kodi and NFO files though.

After I add a VIDEO_TS.NFO file into a directory, I have to add the movie to the library.  After I add the movie to the library, I can rescan the NFO file for changes.  Kodi has no problems finding the NFO file because I set Kodi to look for the information from local sources.

However, if I try to rescan the NFO file from the Media Source folder, I get errors.

The steps I did are:

1) Before I add a movie to the library, I go to the media source

VIDEOS->Media Sources

I select a directory of a movie (for example, Pumpkin).  I click the Menu button on my Fire remote.  No "INFORMATION" option is shown.  No information is shown for the movie because I haven't added this movie to the Library yet.

2) I add the Movie directory to the library

VIDEOS->Media Sources->(select a directory/click menu)->SCAN TO LIBRARY

This adds the movie's directory to Kodi's Movie Library.  The movie directory now shows information included in the VIDEO_TS.NFO file.

3) Go to the Movie library and try to refresh the information.

VIDEOS->MOVIES->TITLE->(select the movie added in Step 3)->INFORMATION->REFRESH

This step results in Kodi rescanning the NFO file.  Kodi shows a "LOADING MOVIE DETAILS" dialogbox showing the name of the movie.  The refresh attempt works without a problem.

4) I then try to Refresh the same movie but while in the Media Sources directory

VIDEOS->Media Sources->(select the movie added in Step 3)->INFORMATION->REFRESH

When I try to refresh while in Media Sources, this fails.   When I click the REFRESH option, I get a dialogbox that says "Querying Local Information Only Information".  Kodi tried to scan the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, not the VIDEO_TS.NFO file.  Then Kodi shows me the keyboard dialogbox and asks me to "Enter the movie name".

5) But when I go back to Step 3, the same movie can be refreshed without any errors.

Why can I Refresh the NFO file for a movie while in the Movies section but I cannot Refresh the same movie while in the Media Sources section?  Is this a bug?
What was wrong with your other thread here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=350679
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-01-06, 01:12)Karellen Wrote: What was wrong with your other thread here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=350679

Karellen:

I never found the reason why the Movie's Information was not updated when the NFO file was changed.  I just found a workaround by deleting the movie from the Library, then re-adding the Movie again from the Media Source section.

However, the problem I explained in this thread might be related.  Not sure because I am not an expert with Kodi.
Both your threads are discussing the same topic. Your threads have been merged.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-01-06, 00:56)Doomster Wrote: Why can I Refresh the NFO file for a movie while in the Movies section but I cannot Refresh the same movie while in the Media Sources section?  Is this a bug?
Yes. It seems you have discovered a bug as I have the same results as you. It only affects DVD folders. Bluray folders and single file movies work as expected.

Reminds me of the Refresh issue by @arnova Could it be related?

@Doomster
Can you submit an Issue report, and I will confirm your findings once you post it... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues
In the meantime, you have already found the workaround, and you are not doing anything wrong.
My Signature
(2020-01-06, 02:24)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-01-06, 00:56)Doomster Wrote: Why can I Refresh the NFO file for a movie while in the Movies section but I cannot Refresh the same movie while in the Media Sources section?  Is this a bug?
Yes. It seems you have discovered a bug as I have the same results as you. It only affects DVD folders. Bluray folders and single file movies work as expected.

Reminds me of the Refresh issue by @arnova Could it be related?

@Doomster
Can you submit an Issue report, and I will confirm your findings once you post it... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues
In the meantime, you have already found the workaround, and you are not doing anything wrong. 

Karellen, I filed an issue report (bug) in XBMC's GitHub.  Issue #17148.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do get Kodi to reflect changes to the NFO file?0