Any git / github gurus? Need help on line endings
I'm trying to update an addon in the kodi xbmc-scripts repo.  IIUC I need to provide a PR to the source repo (in this case it's on XBMC-addons).

My problem is I develop on Windows.  When I fork the repo from XBMC-addons and clone it to my remote I want to create a new branch and add my changes as commits.  But it seems like I run into a problem where the text files on my remote are using CRLF in my editor.  From doing some research one solution seems to be to create a .gitattributes file in my remote repo to force text to eol=lf which I did.  Using .gitattributes it does seem like the files I checkout keep their UNIX LF line endings.  The problem is I end up with a commit of the .gitattributes in my history and can't generate a clean PR from my update branch to the XBMC-addons master.  So how do I avoid getting CRFL introduced in my edited files?  Or just remember to convert the line endings after editing and prior to doing the commit?

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix
Leia see: 304472
Why not just use vscode, notepad+ or any good editor that allows you to save files with just linefeeds?

Martin
You may look at https://help.github.com/en/github/using-...ne-endings -> Global settings for line endings
core.autocrlf true: will checkout lineendings in windows style (CRLF) on your windows machine on checkout and will check them in in linux style (LF) on commit
see more at https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizi...figuration (search for core.autocrlf)

But be aware this is a global setting, it may effect other git-repos on your computer (especially those which were developed on windows only)
.gitattributes would be less invasive
Thanks.  As I wrote, I can't figure out a way to use .gitattributes in the Kodi addon development workflow.  It works fine for a personal project.   I was thinking maybe something like core.autocrlf is the way I need to go.  I use np++ (also have ST 3 installed) and at least in np++ it seems like I have to manually select changing line endings from the menu on a per-file basis -- not helpful when doing a global find and replace for example (though I suppose I could also do a find-and-replace on the line endings as well, but needing to do that on every check-out is a pain).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix
Leia see: 304472
ditch the broken os that think it is a type writer. problem solved.

/runs
(2020-01-14, 16:52)spiff Wrote: ditch the broken os that think it is a type writer. problem solved.

/runs
I think he would have come up with this solution himself, if it was an option for him :-)

But more or less you are right, it's always difficult to handle different line-endings in source, you have to be very careful, especially if you started with one OS and then you switch to another (with different line endings)
One last option would be:
  • Place your .gitattributes into the git-Folder
  • open the file: .git/info/exclude
  • write following at the end of the file:
    .gitattributes
Explaination:
  • .git/info/exclude is like a .gitignore, but won't be checked in
  • So you can use a .gitattributes put won't mess up with the repo
  • If you ever delete the whole repo (including .git) on your computer and make a new clone you have to manually put .gitattributes and the line in .git/info/exclude again (like already said, they aren't checked in)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any git / github gurus? Need help on line endings00