Android Video stretched vertically
Hi there all. I know I'm going to feel absolutely ridiculous as soon as someone answers this but I can't seem to find anything online for anyone that is also having this problem and it's driving me bonkers! 

The problem is that videos that have the black bars on the top and bottom are being stretched to fill the whole screen but the ratio is not being adjusted, just stretched (think long faces, circles turned ovals, the Universal logo looks like a zero, really really tall people lol).

This is with Leia 18.5, however, it has been doing it with all of the Leia versions. I've just been dealing with it and tinkering with the settings each time a new update comes out thinking maybe it was fixed...  Another weird thing, is it's only on one device, a Firestick 4k. I am also running Leia 18.5 on two other Firesticks but they are both Gen 2s. The two other firesticks display the movies just fine, black bars in tact (same exact file, pulling from the same source). I have uninstalled, done a clean install, rebuilt the library on the 4k a number of times, to no avail. I have gone through setting by setting to be sure all three devices' settings were identical. I have made sure to check for OS updates on the 4k firestick; it's up to date. I have also, obviously, tinkered with the video settings to try to at least fake it, again, to no avail. In fact no video settings have any affect on the video playing whatsoever except adjusting the overscan, which does exactly what it's suppose to, adjusts the over/underscan.  Change from 16:9 to 4:3, nada. Even zoom does absolutely nothing. The "minimize black bars" setting is off, but even on it shows no difference.  I have also moved the device to another TV to rule out it being something funky going on with my TV settings. When moved to other TVs that were displaying fine with the other two firestick Gen 2s, the firestick 4k behaved the same with the stretching. The TV I use the 4k on displayed fine with the Gen 2 playing the same movie, black bars back, nice round heads... So it's definitely narrowed down to Kodi on the device or some super simple setting I'm just overlooking because I'm nuking this out lol. Silly as I will feel, I am certainly hoping for the later lol.

I did run Krypton on the 4k for a bit before Leia was mostly stable. I do not want to downgrade back to Krypton though as that had issues all its own with the firestick 4k that were equally as aggravating. It displayed videos fine but it would sporadically just drop all my personal preference settings in almost every category as if I had done a default settings reset. 

Has anyone run in to this?
I literally am searching for a resolution to this exact same problem! Did you find a solution?
(2020-04-26, 22:40)juggerpat Wrote: I literally am searching for a resolution to this exact same problem! Did you find a solution?

Hi there. The AR is still reading incorrectly in the logs but I did find a work around. I'm still hoping they will fix it with the next build though (as it wasn't fixed with 18.6 :-( boo...) 

In the meantime, I disabled both Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface, forced a stop, cleared the cache then relaunched. Boom, normal heads lol.

Hope that works for you too!
I was having the same issue.  I've been running Leia for a while and just recently noticed it within the last two weeks.  I had one FireStick 4K on 18.4.  My others are a mixture of 18.4 and 18.6.  18.6 was also exhibiting the same problem.  I can confirm that disabling acceleration for both Mediacodec and Mediacodec (Surface) fixes the stretch problem, but then the video is nowhere near smooth when playing.

But...GOOD NEWS!  I decided to upgrade to 18.8 today and am happy to report that I was able to turn acceleration back on and the video did not stretch on playback!  Scanning through release notes, it looks like this may have actually been fixed in 18.7.x.  The following quote is directly from the 18.7.2 release announcement (emphasis mine):
Quote:These issues - regressions, specifically around micro-stutter and discontinuities on multi-chapter streams - came about because we'd re-introduced MediaCodec JNI over MediaCodec NDK to address scaling/aspect ratio issues that people were seeing on AFTV devices.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stretched vertically0