Linux Visualization preferences gets overridden
Hi all folks! I'm having great time with Kodi.

There's just one thing driving me crazy, literally!
I do not want to see music visualization, i like seeing the album artwork and track infos; So i just disabled it from the screensaver settings (under settings->interface) and from playback->music.
But when i play music (using the spotify addon - great job on that BTW!)  the screen goes black anyway after some seconds >:[

I'm not sure it's a bug, so i didn't feel confident to open a issue on github. What should i do?
I tried to edit guisettings.xml under .kodi/userdata/ turning to false the entry about music visualization, but it reverted back to true.

I'm running Kodi on a Ubuntu 18.04 mini install.

Every help appreciated, big thanks in advance!

Red

P.s. i'm not using Kodi in english, i tried to translate the item i described as best as i could
I forgot to mention i installed Kodi from https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ubuntu/ppa and everything is up to date
(2020-01-11, 17:11)Redneck Wrote: I tried to edit guisettings.xml under .kodi/userdata/ turning to false the entry about music visualization, but it reverted back to true.

If you edited that with Kodi running, then it will be overwritten when Kodi quits.  You have to edit that file when Kodi is not running.

In any case, the screen going black does not sound like a visualisation, and if you installed from PPA then Kodi doesn't come with any visualisations, you have to install them yourself from the repository.  I don't use that addon myself, so I'm only guessing here but do you mean that this bit disappears ?

If that is the case and you have a keyboard connected, try pressing i on the keyboard and see if that helps.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-01-11, 17:59)black_eagle Wrote: If you edited that with Kodi running, then it will be overwritten when Kodi quits.  You have to edit that file when Kodi is not running.

I closed Kodi before editing

(2020-01-11, 17:59)black_eagle Wrote: In any case, the screen going black does not sound like a visualisation, and if you installed from PPA then Kodi doesn't come with any visualisations, you have to install them yourself from the repository.  I don't use that addon myself, so I'm only guessing here but do you mean that this bit disappears ?

If that is the case and you have a keyboard connected, try pressing i on the keyboard and see if that helps.

The whole screen goes black, not just the album cover.
I said visualization because if i open music controls, click the "sinusoidal" icon and select "nothing" it doesn't go black... I tried installing some visualization, no luck though. It's like Kodi tries to load it and turns the screen black; If I select any of the visualization, they are displayed, otherwise selecting "none - delete current setting" it goes black.

I will try pressing "I" and post back!
(2020-01-13, 22:55)Redneck Wrote:
(2020-01-11, 17:59)black_eagle Wrote: If you edited that with Kodi running, then it will be overwritten when Kodi quits.  You have to edit that file when Kodi is not running.

I closed Kodi before editing

(2020-01-11, 17:59)black_eagle Wrote: In any case, the screen going black does not sound like a visualisation, and if you installed from PPA then Kodi doesn't come with any visualisations, you have to install them yourself from the repository.  I don't use that addon myself, so I'm only guessing here but do you mean that this bit disappears ?

The whole screen goes black, not just the album cover.
I said visualization because if i open music controls, click the "sinusoidal" icon and select "nothing" it doesn't go black... I tried installing some visualization, no luck though. It's like Kodi tries to load it and turns the screen black; If I select any of the visualization, they are displayed, otherwise selecting "none - delete current setting" it goes black.

I will try pressing "I" and post back!

Looks like pressing "I" switches between the black screen and the playback view
Can you get a debug log (wiki) of the screen going black when you play music ?  The instructions are here --> https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy <--  Please make sure that after turning on debugging you quit and restart Kodi.  Hopefully the log will show what's going on when the screen goes black.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-01-18, 15:25)black_eagle Wrote: Can you get a debug log (wiki) of the screen going black when you play music ?  The instructions are here --> https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy <--  Please make sure that after turning on debugging you quit and restart Kodi.  Hopefully the log will show what's going on when the screen goes black.

Sorry for the delay, I finally found some time to get the log.
As I was recording though the weird behavior disappeared... I tried without logging and rebooting twice. Nothing at all, now while playing music it stays on the music playback window.

I would have loved to knew what was going on!
Thanks anyway for your time and long live Linux Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Visualization preferences gets overridden0