A plea for equality.
First off, I appreciate the time and energy that everyone spends on this project.  And the last thing I want to do is cause a flame war. 

But, I have a very serious question.  When I go to the KODI download page there is a published link to Older Releases, which allows Windows Users, Android Users, heck even IOS Users to roll back to an older version.   It clearly states "While we do not recommend using old builds, should you need to download them you can access those builds". But as Linux users we are unable to do this. We can only get access to 17.6. 

So my question is, why can't Linux users have a PPA that contains not only version 17.6, but also 18.0, 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, and 18.4 for those that feel the need to access them.  From what I have read PPAs can contain multiple versions of a software package.
Equality is created by everyone, e.g. everyone contributes to an equal world.

Could you step and create this ppa to make the world more equal? Thanks much in advance!

PS: Create ppas (you need one per version as Ubuntu has designed it that way and which is the reason you don't have all version available) and let it build. Please automize it, as you know - it's quite a huge amount of work to recreate it for every minor bump.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-01-18, 08:23)fritsch Wrote: Equality is created by everyone, e.g. everyone contributes to an equal world.

Could you step and create this ppa to make the world more equal? Thanks much in advance!

PS: Create ppas (you need one per version as Ubuntu has designed it that way and which is the reason you don't have all version available) and let it build. Please automize it, as you know - it's quite a huge amount of work to recreate it for every minor bump.
(2020-01-18, 13:51)LostTech96 Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 08:23)fritsch Wrote: Equality is created by everyone, e.g. everyone contributes to an equal world.

Dear sir 
You are mistaken in your assumptions. I am a basic user not a developer and wouldn't have a clue how to do what you are demanding. 

​​​​​​With that being said you already have created a PPA for each minor version as you call them. As they were the current version at one time, it would seem to me that instead of overwriting them you could rename them and allow users to rollback.  Just as you do with 17.6.

Please remember that without users there will be no need for anything else.
(2020-01-18, 14:10)LostTech96 Wrote:

Dear sir 
You are mistaken in your assumptions. I am a basic user not a developer and wouldn't have a clue how to do what you are demanding. 

​​​​​​With that being said you already have created a PPA for each minor version as you call them. As they were the current version at one time, it would seem to me that instead of overwriting them you could rename them and allow users to rollback.  Just as you do with 17.6.

Please remember without developers you would not have software to install, you would not have the possibility to install anything. We are no company, we have no material / monetary goal. We contribute in our freetime to create a more equal world.
Each developer was a user once and sat down and learned coding and now creates this world. So - how about learning to code?

We create the PPA in our freetime. You learn to code in your freetime? What's wrong with that. Fair deal?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-01-18, 15:02)fritsch Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 14:10)LostTech96 Wrote:

Dear sir 

Please remember without developers you would not have software to install, you would not have the possibility to install anything. We are no company, we have no material / monetary goal. We contribute in our freetime to create a more equal world.
Each developer was a user once and sat down and learned coding and now creates this world. So - how about learning to code?

We create the PPA in our freetime. You learn to code in your freetime? What's wrong with that. Fair deal?

Dear Sir,

Rather than telling users to become developers, you might find it better to provide general support or at least try an listen to a differing view point.

I will be moving to a different platform, where user are treated with some respect.

Goodbye

PPA'S arent restricted to single versions afaik. I can often pick and choose a version number in synaptic
(2020-01-18, 20:52)LostTech96 Wrote: Dear Sir,

Rather than telling users to become developers, you might find it better to provide general support or at least try an listen to a differing view point.

I will be moving to a different platform, where user are treated with some respect.

Goodbye 
You still don't get it?
Kodi is a free and opensource application, created and maintained by volunteers in their free time, the time they could spend with their families, friends, hobbies and etc.
If my memory serves your request is the first one about having linux "archives" I've ever seen.
It's quite a niche request, sources are maintained in git, so you can build any version of Kodi anytime you want.
I repeat this is a free and opensource project, want something - you can do it yourself and contribute to the community.
If you do not wish to learn and contribute - linux and opensource in general is not for you.

Yep, moving to a different platform where you don't have to show respect to people doing an awesome application for free might be good idea for you.
Obvious troll...
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
In fact I took his request quite seriously as sometimes we break minor version upgrades as well. What I really did not like: For maintaining a ppa or more or multiple, especially as wsnipex has done all the work. He just needs to create a launchpad ppa site and copy over wsnipex's packages from stable. If there is a new stable, he can copy the next version, etc. and from today on he would exactly have what he wants, without a single line of source code.

But yeah it seems he really did not get any hint, nor had any interest to contribute to his "plea" as he calls it. Case closed.
(2020-01-18, 21:53)fritsch Wrote: In fact I took his request quite seriously as sometimes we break minor version upgrades as well. What I really did not like: For maintaining a ppa or more or multiple, especially as wsnipex has done all the work. He just needs to create a launchpad ppa site and copy over wsnipex's packages from stable. If there is a new stable, he can copy the next version, etc. and from today on he would exactly have what he wants, without a single line of source code.

But yeah it seems he really did not get any hint, nor had any interest to contribute to his "plea" as he calls it. Case closed.

Thanks so much for proving my point.  If this is so easy, why doesn't the linux team do it in the future.  According to you, it doesn't even require a single line of code.

As far as contributing, I would have been more than happier to test any possible solution.  But demanding that I become programmer, is just plain wrong.
(2020-01-18, 22:27)LostTech96 Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 21:53)fritsch Wrote: In fact I took his request quite seriously as sometimes we break minor version upgrades as well. What I really did not like: For maintaining a ppa or more or multiple, especially as wsnipex has done all the work. He just needs to create a launchpad ppa site and copy over wsnipex's packages from stable. If there is a new stable, he can copy the next version, etc. and from today on he would exactly have what he wants, without a single line of source code.

Thanks so much for proving my point.  If this is so easy, why doesn't the linux team do it in the future.  According to you, it doesn't even require a single line of code.

As far as contributing, I would have been more than happier to test any possible solution.  But demanding that I become programmer, is just plain wrong. 

Read again what I have really written. You are not able to contribute to kodi in code, which is not a problem, you also don't want to learn it - also not a problem, perhaps a bit sad. But you also don't want to contribute in creating such a ppa and copy the version with a single click. So what is your agenda here?

So: Why don't YOU do it in the future? Doesn't it fit exactly your skill level and remember: You were the guy that wanted to have the world equal, so here is exactly your chance. World is looking at you.
This is every so slowly escalating into the flame war that the OP said s/he wanted to avoid.

Everybody needs to remember that this is a free and open source volunteer project which means anybody and everybody can contribute. Sadly not everybody does.

@LostTech96 In my opinion, demanding that you become a programmer is no more wrong than you demanding someone else (but not you) provide ppa's for unsupported versions of Kodi for pretty much your own benefit.

Thread Closed
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A plea for equality.1