Solved Issues with video/music library update not picking up new content.
So it sounds like a permission issue perhaps - the new stuff is under the wrong ownership so the user that Kodi is running under can't see/access it or something like that. Still doesn't explain why forcing it works though as what the files view can see the scraper should be able to as well?

An interesting if perplexing one... Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-01-19, 13:57)DarrenHill Wrote: So it sounds like a permission issue perhaps - the new stuff is under the wrong ownership so the user that Kodi is running under can't see/access it or something like that. Still doesn't explain why forcing it works though as what the files view can see the scraper should be able to as well?

An interesting if perplexing one... Wink
I'm glad I can entertain you  Nerd
  • I removed TESTMEDIA as a file source and removed items from Kodi library.
  • edited /etc/samba/smb.conf to now include TESTMEDIA as a source, restarted smbd and nmbd
  • section of smb.conf reads as below, apart from the name and the path this is a direct copy of how the other samba shares are set:
bash:
[TESTMEDIA]
        comment = Movies Folder
        path = /media/Data_1/James' Files/My Videos/TESTMEDIA
        guest ok = yes
        force create mode = 0776
        force directory mode = 2776
        browsable = yes
        valid users = @powerusers,@readonlyusers,nobody
        read list = @powerusers,@readonlyusers,nobody
        write list = @powerusers
  • Added the above as a source in Kodi
  • On completion of its scan, Kodi picked up both Krampus & Zog
  • added an additional movie as a test, did a library update this movie also appeared
.......scratches chin
Sounds like perhaps a source rebuild might be the simplest way to resolve this overall?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
so all my media is stored in a folder /media/Data_1/James' Files/My Videos

navigating to this directory and running:

bash:
ls -lsha

gives:

bash:
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   8 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Jan 19 11:09 .
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   4 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Dec 15 23:17 ..
4.0K -rwxrwxrwx   1 jlivin25 jlivin25  292 Nov 16  2013 .apdisk
4.0K -rwxrwxrwx   1 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Nov 16  2013 ._.apdisk
4.0K -rwxrwxrwx   1 jlivin25 jlivin25  497 Sep  1  2013 desktop.ini
 36K drwxrwsrwx 633 jlivin25 jlivin25  36K Jan 19 21:35 HD Films
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   5 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Dec 15 23:17 Personal Vids
 12K drwxrwsrwx 168 jlivin25 jlivin25  12K Dec 15 23:17 SD Films
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   3 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Nov 16  2013 .TemporaryItems
4.0K -rwxrwxrwx   1 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Nov 16  2013 ._.TemporaryItems
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   5 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Jan 19 21:35 TESTMEDIA
4.0K drwxrwsrwx 110 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Jan  9 14:21 TV Series

an example folder thats not being picked up as new content is
bash:
/media/Data_1/James' Files/My Videos/HD Films/Motherless Brooklyn (2019)
the perms for this folder are:
bash:
4.0K drwxrwsrwx   2 jlivin25 jlivin25 4.0K Jan 18 23:56 Motherless Brooklyn (2019)
with the file being
bash:
11G -rwxrwxrwx   1 jlivin25 jlivin25  11G Jan 16 16:49 Motherless Brooklyn (2019).mkv

I move that folder to the TESTMEDIA location and run a library scan it gets picked up.

If I move it back to the original location and update library, no dice.
(2020-01-20, 00:04)DarrenHill Wrote: Sounds like perhaps a source rebuild might be the simplest way to resolve this overall?

sorry I didn't see this before I posted. I'm up for anything..........what would you suggest?
Quick test - make a folder "Test Media" and see if our problem files scrape from that. The only difference I can see between the good and bad folders is the space.

If that doesn't show anything then copy everything from HD Films into TESTMEDIA and confirm that all of the files scrape properly. If they do, remove HD Films and rename TESTMEDIA to "HD Films" (or maybe "HD_Films" ?) and scrape again. See if it's something about that original folder (although I can't see anything from the above data).

I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here, as I still fundamentally can't see why scraping of the original set up wouldn't work (and not even see the affected files/folders) but doing it manually would.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-01-20, 09:48)DarrenHill Wrote: Quick test - make a folder "Test Media" and see if our problem files scrape from that. The only difference I can see between the good and bad folders is the space.

If that doesn't show anything then copy everything from HD Films into TESTMEDIA and confirm that all of the files scrape properly. If they do, remove HD Films and rename TESTMEDIA to "HD Films" (or maybe "HD_Films" ?) and scrape again. See if it's something about that original folder (although I can't see anything from the above data).

I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here, as I still fundamentally can't see why scraping of the original set up wouldn't work (and not even see the affected files/folders) but doing it manually would.
  • I removed the previous test source, removed items from the library and created a new source.
bash:
/media/Data_1/James' Files/My Videos/TEST MEDIA/Movies
  • I then updated the smb sources to reflect the change
  • Restarted smbd & nmbd
  • I added the new source to Kodi, selected media type as Movies.
  • On completion Kodi ran its library scan
  • The test media files were added correctly.
......as an aside TV Shows has the same parent folder as HD Movies and scans and update correctly so I'm even more confused now!  Huh
At this point I'd probably make folders "HD_Films" and "SD_Films", copy the content of "HD Films" and "SD Films" respectively into them and see if those both scrape and work fine (check all the content gives correct results).

If so then just go with them as your new sources, get rid of the original sources and folders and chalk it up to "it works, but I have no idea why the originals didn't"...

Kodi Blog Posts
Cool, ok.......should I export library first so I don't loose watched status, newly added etc first?
Yes. If you export as separate files it should write an individual NFO file beside each media file, which you can then import again via scraping.

Note the wiki page on the subject though concerning the export/import - you may need to adjust things via an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file - https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Video

Either that or use one of the various addons or external services (Trakt and suchlike) for maintaining watched status.

The other way is to use a SQL tool to edit your database and point the records from the old folder to the new one, but that's very much an advanced player trick and not something I can advise on or recommend (as I'm not an SQL advanced player myself Wink ).

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-01-20, 13:42)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes. If you export as separate files it should write an individual NFO file beside each media file, which you can then import again via scraping.

Note the wiki page on the subject though concerning the export/import - you may need to adjust things via an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file - https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Video

Either that or use one of the various addons or external services (Trakt and suchlike) for maintaining watched status.

The other way is to use a SQL tool to edit your database and point the records from the old folder to the new one, but that's very much an advanced player trick and not something I can advise on or recommend (as I'm not an SQL advanced player myself Wink ).
Thank you I'll give it a go and report back
(2020-01-25, 12:50)littlejeem Wrote:
(2020-01-20, 13:42)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes. If you export as separate files it should write an individual NFO file beside each media file, which you can then import again via scraping.

Thank you I'll give it a go and report back 
just to let anyone viewing this post, the above workaround worked fine. I had some issues with some original TV Series, not re-importing correctly but all new files being picked up correctly.

cheers for the assist @DarrenHill
You're most welcome... Smile

Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with video/music library update not picking up new content.0