How can I make parsing NFO as MKV attachment work?
Hello,

there are three movies which all share the same name and were released in the same year: Anna (2019). I have one of them, but the TMDB scraper - of course - scrapes the wrong one. My preferred solution would now be putting a parsing NFO as attachment inside the MKV. I like to have everything in a single file.

I created the NFO as an UTF-8 encoded text file containing only the URL to the TMDB page for the movie. Then I opened MKVToolnix GUI and added the NFO as attachment and gave it the description "kodi-override-metadata". This is how it is described in the Kodi wiki.

However, this does not work. The scraper still collects the wrong movie data. How can I make this work?
As far as I am aware you cannot make it work.

The nfo file needs to be just that... a NFO file. Once it is embedded, it is no longer an nfo file.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hm, then I don't quite understand this wiki paragraph under https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_file_taggin...ag_options , which says:
Quote: 
MKV tagging currently does not support the Matroska tagging specification to fill library info, rather a Kodi standard NFO file can be embedded into MKV files.
- An attachment named kodi-metadata will be scanned as an embedded .nfo file
- An attachment named kodi-override-metadata will be scanned as a url nfo if combined with specifying IMDB/TMDB url. if alone, you get an override nfo
I suppose, a "url nfo" is a "parsing NFO".
What is this mechanism used for?
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea. I can clearly see the wiki page states it can be done, but have never come across it before now. Someone else might have to offer some assistance. Smile

I assume you enabled the setting to read video tags?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-01-25, 01:41)antimatter Wrote: I suppose, a "url nfo" is a "parsing NFO".
Yes

(2020-01-25, 01:41)antimatter Wrote: What is this mechanism used for?
For exactly the reason you are trying to use it for. To point the scraper directly to the title when the scraper has trouble finding the right movie.
Another method is going to Videos>Files>Your Source, locate your movie and call up the Information Page. Then pick the correct movie from the list. If the (wrong) movie is already in your library, then select Refresh from the Information Page.

I was curious about how the embedded file works. So I created a file named kodi-override-metadata.nfo added the link to the movie in the file, then attached the file into the mkv file. But it did not scrape the link I attached.
(of course I embedded a link to a completely different movie to make sure it was reading the nfo file and not the folder name of the movie)

I suppose you could file a bug report.
My Signature
(2020-01-25, 07:06)Karellen Wrote: I suppose you could file a bug report.
It feels like one. Will do.

I also tried again. For example, in MKVToolnix GUI, attachments have a name or a file name AND a description. The latter is also called as a name, depending on the source. So I wrote "kodi-override-metadata" into the attachments (file) name AND description. I wasn't sure what the wiki means by "an attachment named ..." or which field Kodi would actually read. It didn't work either.

And sure, I can manually assign the correct movie. However, if some day tragedy strikes and I have to rebuild the library from scratch I don't want to search for those movies that would match correctly.
(2020-01-25, 13:13)antimatter Wrote: However, if some day tragedy strikes and I have to rebuild the library from scratch I don't want to search for those movies that would match correctly.
Just run a Separate File Export. It will export the library database to nfo files, which Kodi can then read and scan back into the database when rebuilding your library. I run the export every couple of weeks so my backup is never older than 2 weeks.
My Signature
If all you are doing is pointing to the url adding either a tag called IMDBURL or tag called TMDBURL should work according to the commit that introduced this at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/47bb...e66a98ef29 so no need for an attachment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I make parsing NFO as MKV attachment work?0