Best linux distri for Kodi use?
I am trying to build an x86 linux machine mainly for tv use and intend to install a linux dist as the base OS. Can you guys recommend the best linux district for Kodi use?

I am trying to avoid LibreELEC, CoreElec etc because I need steam, moonlight gaming, wine and some other standard linux programs which you cannot get with Libreelec (from what I understand)

Thx for hour advice.
Simple Ubuntu will do, it's the only PPA supported distro by Kodi.
Thanks @Klojum.

Just saw my OP and man it had so many friggin typos. Lol me and my fat fingers. Sorry you had to read through that.
This is a highly subjective question... use the one you feel most comfortable with.  Package managers are a big influence, distro philosophy, support, etc. should also influence your decision.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2020-01-26, 12:14)graysky Wrote: This is a highly subjective question... use the one you feel most comfortable with.  Package managers are a big influence, distro philosophy, support, etc. should also influence your decision.

I feel most comfortable with Ubuntu and Mint. But my question, in a broader sense, was to get a feel for what most people in my situation prefer and have experienced in terms of the best Kodi/other linux programs experience, long term support (with an eye on future HDR support, finger crossed) as well as usability.

Thanks.
Official support is for Ubuntu I believe.  Other distros I cannot comment beyond Arch and Arch ARM.  Good support there (I actually co-maintain the packages for Arch ARM with a really good partnership with the excellent community here including some of the Kodi team members).
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Basically all Linux distributons are welcome here if they don't patch the hell out of kodi :-). But distirubtions specific issues are hard to solve for us.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Xubuntu or Linux Mint Cinnamon, both represent the right balance between lightness and functionality.  I have been using Kodi/XBMC on Ubuntu based distros since 2012 and never had a problem.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Cheers, guys. 🙏

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best linux distri for Kodi use?0