Solved Choppy audio for some files
I have an audio problem with some files in Kodi, where the sound becomes choppy after the file ran for a while. But only for a short time, then it works again. Exiting the player and resuming at the last position fixes the problem as well (again, only temporary)
I recently upgraded Kodi to 18.5 64bit, so I assumed, that this might be the problem, but I downgraded to 18.2 32bit and it didn't fix the problem (although I think the version I ran before was older, but I didn't keep the installer). Apart from that, I didn't change anything on the PC, IIRC. The files seem to be fine as well, since they run without any issues on MPC-HC on the same machine.

CPU usage seems fine (at around 30%) and RAM usage is at 50%
CPU is an old Core2Duo and GPU a GTX1050 and system memory is 6GB, and since I upgraded the GPU (x265-files didn't work on the old GPU) I didn't have any problems until recently. The files in question are x264 files though

Any ideas what the problem might be?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Here's the log

There's a bunch of buffer underrun-errors around the time the issue starts. I would guess that that's the problem.

I did add these advanced settings with my old GPU (about 2 years ago) and didn't change them since, but maybe they cause problems with some newer Kodi versions?

xml:

<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <cachemembuffersize>268435456</cachemembuffersize>
        <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

Edit: I just removed the advanced settings, but the issue is still there.
I found the problem:
The audio output device was set to direct sound, what caused the stuttering. I switched back to WASAPI and everything is fine again. I assume that it switched to the default setting when updating Kodi, because I had it set to WASAPI quite a while ago.
Kodi will default to direct sound should the software not receive wasapi handshake, ensure TV or AVR is operational prior to launching Kodi.

Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy audio for some files0