• 11(current)
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips?
Looking forward to the new year then! Reading through the thread theres obviously some excellent work being done on this project, and I hope you are able to get a completely stable version of XBMC running on ARM architecture.

Ive recently become interested in getting an MID/UMPC for watching video's/playing music/surfing on the go and I recently found this:

http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V...04-39.html

Its called a SmartQ V7, and its a touchscreen portable tablet with the following specs:

http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V...04-40.html

What I found really interesting is that the ARM processor is supported by a GPU and comes with a HDMI out and is (apparently) capable of outputting 1080p, although I wasnt able to find out what GPU the device has. Still, if this could run XBMC it would be the ultimate XBMC device in my opinion, small and portable but able to connect to any HDTV via HDMI and output 1080p video

Currently $254 here:
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?m...DQodekZVrA

Might pick one up myself and have a play, if I do ill post here with my experiences
Few facts about Smart V7
ZOTAC 330-IONITX-A-E
4GiB Patriot PGS ( 1.9V, 512MiB ION shared )
512GiB Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 inside HIMURO
Samsung SH-S223C DVDRW
everything's cooking inside Modecom ProStation2 mini glossy black :eek:
but I needed it for 2x5.25 bay ( HIMURO took front panel even )
Hi, sorry if I asked this in the wrong forum. I thought I saw a blog entry or something months back about development for the android platform am i dreaming this up? If not any progress? Any thread that cover this better?

I would love to be able to stream iso from my wifi network to my phone and all the other lovely benefits of xbmc! plus moto droid processor is a 550mgz with separate graphics processor (w/720) I believe similar spec to the og xbox.

some other commonalities:
android is a form of diluted linux
root access has been established on moto droid
not sure about xbmc, but I believe most android apps are java based (correct me if I am wrong)

Mods please move where most appropriate.

Anything I can do to help make this possible let me know.
I highly doubt xbmc will get ported to android by the current team, not many that sees a use for a full fledged media center on a phone.

However I'm working on some serverside improvements whihc clients will love, i.e allow easier streaming of video content from a XBMC -> some media client (say android or iPhone).

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi McGeagh, I have a question that whether the OpenGL ES 2.0 lib (downloaded from TI's site) is suitable for i.MX51 board (Freescale) ? I cross-compiled XBMC and put it onto the i.MX51 board, but it doesn't work, the error mainly means that it can't create application.
Does it mean this set of OpenGL ES API is not suitable for the GPU of i.MX51 board?
I'm looking forward to your reply. Thank you for your time.
the Freescale i.MX51 is NOT IMG's POWERVR SGX. As such, the files obtained from TI will certainly not work.
The i.MX51's GPU is ATi based, and they are currently not releasing drivers atm. I too was looking into porting xbmc to this but due to ATi's restriction, i could not.
¤ [McGeagh] ¤
Stelph Wrote:What I found really interesting is that the ARM processor is supported by a GPU and comes with a HDMI out and is (apparently) capable of outputting 1080p, although I wasn't able to find out what GPU the device has.

The SmartQ v7 has an Arm Mali-200 GPU apparently, there's an English fan forum here with more info on the unit. Also has some sort of DSP for handling HD video.

Interesting little devices, while looking around I saw another called the W1060 equipped with a TI OMAP Arm Cortex A8, this fellow here seems to get his hands on various units and reviews them worth keeping an eye on he's doing a review on the Smart v7 and has already done the W1060.

Probably better off waiting till next year and see what comes out for Arm MID's, it was suggested SmartQ have new hardware planned for Android 2.
McGeagh Wrote:the Freescale i.MX51 is NOT IMG's POWERVR SGX. As such, the files obtained from TI will certainly not work.
The i.MX51's GPU is ATi based, and they are currently not releasing drivers atm. I too was looking into porting xbmc to this but due to ATi's restriction, i could not.

What about nvidia's Tegra 650?
Again, thats nVidias own GPU, not IMG's.
The SDK from TI is specific to IMG's POWERVR SGX only. It wont work on other vendors GPUs.
¤ [McGeagh] ¤
Stelph Wrote:Looking forward to the new year then! Reading through the thread theres obviously some excellent work being done on this project, and I hope you are able to get a completely stable version of XBMC running on ARM architecture.

Ive recently become interested in getting an MID/UMPC for watching video's/playing music/surfing on the go and I recently found this:

http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V...04-39.html

Its called a SmartQ V7, and its a touchscreen portable tablet with the following specs:

http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V...04-40.html

What I found really interesting is that the ARM proI hvecessor is supported by a GPU and comes with a HDMI out and is (apparently) capable of outputting 1080p, although I wasnt able to find out what GPU the device has. Still, if this could run XBMC it would be the ultimate XBMC device in my opinion, small and portable but able to connect to any HDTV via HDMI and output 1080p video

Currently $254 here:
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?m...DQodekZVrA

Might pick one up myself and have a play, if I do ill post here with my experiences

I have one of these, and would love to have an XBMC port on it. The capability is there.

If I can provide any information or assistance (non-development) let me know.
Starstream Wrote:The SmartQ v7 has an Arm Mali-200 GPU apparently, there's an English fan forum here with more info on the unit. Also has some sort of DSP for handling HD video.

Interesting little devices, while looking around I saw another called the W1060 equipped with a TI OMAP Arm Cortex A8, this fellow here seems to get his hands on various units and reviews them worth keeping an eye on he's doing a review on the Smart v7 and has already done the W1060.

Probably better off waiting till next year and see what comes out for Arm MID's, it was suggested SmartQ have new hardware planned for Android 2.

Thanks for that, interesting to read up more about the device!

At CES Freescale are apparently unveriling a new Tablet that runs the ARM Cortex A8 and are aiming for a price point of sub $200. 2010 looks like it will be very interesting...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/ne...-Tablet/p1
Hi McGeagh,

Can you tell us wich is the actual status of the port for the ARM's arquitecture? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Rubik2k
short answer - in development. Ive not done much to it since my last youtube clip as been rather busy with other stuff, but i plan to take it up again very soon.
I plan to profile it and optimise, before looking at whats the next step to take with it.
thanks
¤ [McGeagh] ¤
It seems the Boxee Box has an ARM CPU: http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/01/07/boxee-bo...gra-2-ftw/

Maybe they can help you out with the ARM branch?
bb10,

It's Arm 8 dual core w/ ~9300 or ~210 (?) GPU right? Looks sweet for $200. If it can do 1080p H264, from 200 bucks, then we are rockin!

McGeagh,

Would you be interested in all of us raising the funds to buy you one?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips?7