NPVR 5 and timeshifting
Im new to Next PVR, but finding it good so far.

One question I have is what are the optional settings for using time shifting NPVR5 and Kodi release (18.5)?

I see some talk on extended time shift and also other talk on testing a new pvr add on for 5. What is the best option? At the moment I have settled for extended with 4s pre-buffer. This prevents annoying hangs after start of the stream, but does mean channel changes are slooooow.
For v5 you don't really need any prebuffer time since playback starts pretty quickly so test with 1 or even 0.  If you do find buffering just after the start annoying then you might consider increasing it to see if it helps.

Chunksize is a general PVR feature available in v4 and v5 if you find excessive general buffering try bumping it up.

As for best option for me it was extended time shift but that doesn't exist anymore and I wanted to upgrade to v5 to use linux.  The only reason for that is I like being able to save the buffer so the annoying startup time was worth it.  For general timeshifting v5 is far superior.

Martin
(2020-02-04, 02:39)emveepee Wrote: For v5 you don't really need any prebuffer time since playback starts pretty quickly so test with 1 or even 0.  If you do find buffering just after the start annoying then you might consider increasing it to see if it helps.

Chunksize is a general PVR feature available in v4 and v5 if you find excessive general buffering try bumping it up.

As for best option for me it was extended time shift but that doesn't exist anymore and I wanted to upgrade to v5 to use linux.  The only reason for that is I like being able to save the buffer so the annoying startup time was worth it.  For general timeshifting v5 is far superior.

Martin

Thanks.

On Android I only have prebuffer when choosing extended time shift, on OSMC it’s available to all options [emoji2275]

So potentially normal time shift, with higher chunk size might help with buffering after start of stream?
You may not be on 3.3.18 on all devices.  Also sorry I was talking timeshift v5.   Timeshift v4 doesn't use any settings and the developer for hasn't been responding to support questions.

Chunk size is general not just start of file.

Martin
(2020-02-04, 16:13)emveepee Wrote: You may not be on 3.3.18 on all devices.  Also sorry I was talking timeshift v5.   Timeshift v4 doesn't use any settings and the developer for hasn't been responding to support questions.

Chunk size is general not just start of file.

Martin

Ah ok, I am on v5 so that is fine. On 3.3.18 I should choose just ‘time shift’ then with v5?
Absolutely although Timeshift and Extended Timeshift are the same in v5.  I know it is confusing but it is the same set up program for both both versions.

Martin
(2020-02-04, 16:32)emveepee Wrote: Absolutely although Timeshift and Extended Timeshift are the same in v5.  I know it is confusing but it is the same set up program for both both versions.

Martin
Hi Martin,

As a Kodi new users I was also disappointed yesterday when I saw no usable timeshift in my new test configuration Kodi+NextPVR (to replace WMC).
After at least half an hour of searching the solution, I finally understood that it was an option to be activated in the "Advanced" page settings of the Kodi NextPVR add-on Client, therefore i did not saw it initially when I followed some guides to configure the nextPVR Kodi addon. Most of the guides towards internet also are outdated.
Why this option is not in the first setting page of the Kodi nextPVR add-on ? I think the timeshift is a great feature, not a technical gadget, while the other "advanced" settings are so tricky details that they are just understandable by a standard user.

Do you have an idea also why the timeshift is not activated by default ? as far as I have understood, the timeshift is configured by defult in the NextPVR V5 back-end service, so why the Kodi NextPVR addon do not activate it by default ? I think this would facilitate the Kodi and NextPVR usage by the users.
Is there a way to contact the developer of the Kodi nextPVR client add-on to discus this with him/here ?
The Leia version on the NextPVR addon is obsolete compared to the Matrix version which has many changes.    It is no longer an advanced option it is in the Basic option for Streaming options.

The reason it is not default is it is not that reliable in v4 of NextPVR.  For Kodi 20 I will remove v4 support and make Timeshift default.  After installing and configured NextPVR I doubt very much that a user will abandon the addon simply because this is not the default setting.

The reason it is still not on the main screen is in Expert mode there are 8 lines on that screen as it is.  It is now an on a screen called Streaming Options that add another 6 lines would make it a bit confusing.

Martin
Thanks Martin
These are great news about Kodi 19 !
As this version is still in Beta, I have based my evaluation of Kodi+nextPVR on the Kodi 18.
If I got satisfied with Kodi 18, it will be even better with Kodi 19 Cool      thanks to your work and Kodi  community and NPVR community.
I think to test the upgrade Kodi18->Kodi19, to see how it proceed, since the upgrade capability of the HTPC is also an important feature of the choice.

I had a look at Kodi+nextPVR several years ago as a WMC replacement, and it was not a matured solution in the past.
Today the progress made are really impressive, and I am thinking to migrate to Kodi/NextPVR, because the feature and user experience are now better on Kodi+NPVR than WMC. The only thing that I need to verify with every day usage is the reliability: WMC is/was a very solid rock, and I use daily my HTPC (connected to a good Epson VP and a 3m screen).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NPVR 5 and timeshifting1