Noob questions : browse network folder -as is-, supported file formats
Hi all, noob questions here.
I am trying to find out if Kodi will work for me.
Here is what i want to do:
- Get a box ( pc , mac, rpi , whatever) and install kodi
- point Kodi to a shared folder on my network (from a Western Digital NAS . standard file mount ). This share is READ ONLY. i do not want anything like DLNA or PLEX running on the nas. Simple file share like you mount on a normal computer.
- browse the contents of the share. There is an existing directory tree and all items are catalogued using the tree structure. I want to retain this tree-like navigation. So no flattening or cataloguing or anything else. Simple directory/file based navigation like with windows or macos or linux. Show me the thumbnails in a standard matrix grid. Simple navigation up/down directory , open file , next/previous file, exit file

I need support for the following file formats :
- images : JPG, NEF (nikon raw), ORF (olympus raw) , HEIC (apple), TIFF
- video : HDV in AVI container (1080) AVC in MP2 container (1080) , MPEG H264 H265 in MOV container (1080/4K)

Is this possible? Especially the network share , file/folder navigation. I have over 100K pictures (JPG,NEF,ORF,TIFF,HEIC) and almost a thousands videos (all filmed using either HDV/AVCHD or H264/H265 ). I want to use this to quickly preview things on the big screen before editing.
Yeah, Kodi can absolutely do that but it sounds to me like using it would be overkill.  If that's all you want to do, I'd just map the shared drive on a PC and use VLC to preview stuff. Most of Kodi's features are designed around its rich library experience, something you sound as if you'll never be using
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-02-04, 18:27)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah, Kodi can absolutely do that but it sounds to me like using it would be overkill.  If that's all you want to do, I'd just map the shared drive on a PC and use VLC to preview stuff. Most of Kodi's features are designed around its rich library experience, something you sound as if you'll never be using

The point is not to have to use a pc, just a small box hooked up to a large screen using a simple remote control. no need for mouse , keyboard ,etc. just something like an intel nuc or raspberri pi. turnkey. no need for os updates etc ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob questions : browse network folder -as is-, supported file formats0