Kodi 17.6 HD audio passthrough working on old Amlogic S905X box.
Was going to do some testing one of my old, discarded, Amlogic S905X boxes and when I turned it on and opened Kodi, I was shocked to see that it was playing my HD audio codecs.  My AVR showed DTS-HD MA and DD DTHD on the BlueRay and 4k movie rips..  It is running Kodi 17.6 Nov. 14, 2017, also when adding media scattered across my network, it showed ALL of the networked hardware............. 

This is using my X9 Android box and I believe it is running the "atvXperience" ATV mod.  This is the box that I am using https://www.geekbuying.com/item/X9-TV-BO...69327.html.

I then replaced my Leia Kodi with this 17.6 version on my Beelink GT King Pro running Alvatech's modded ATV ROM, but NO HD audio passthrough.  However, when I went to add media, it did show ALL the devices on my network.  All the versions of Kodi after 17, they no longer show my networked devices, have to add them manually........

So, not sure what enables the HD audio codecs to passthrough some devices but not others, software or hardwareHuh  May test some of my other retired boxes.......... 

Maybe someone can tell me how I am getting HD audio from Kodi on these "cheap Chinese" boxes.
AMLogic Android v7.0 Nougat generally came with Kodi compatible IEC61937 HD audio passthru Firmware.

Some Oreo 8.0 devices like the 2016 Mi Box kept that compatibility.

For some unknown reason when AMLogic got to Oreo 8.1 and above the IEC61937 audio support was removed. (Probably forgot to patch it back in)

The Ugoos guys might still provide IEC61937 support for AML Android 8.x / 9.0 devices. MINIX as well with their new U22-XJ.

(2020-02-08, 05:13)wrxtasy Wrote: AMLogic Android v7.0 Nougat generally came with Kodi compatible IEC61937 HD audio passthru Firmware.

Some Oreo 8.0 devices like the 2016 Mi Box kept that compatibility.

For some unknown reason when AMLogic got to Oreo 8.1 and above the IEC61937 audio support was removed. (Probably forgot to patch it back in)

The Ugoos guys might still provide IEC61937 support for AML Android 8.x / 9.0 devices. MINIX as well with their new U22-XJ.

Thanks for that information. I think you explained it before, but I forgot. Getting old is hell, memory is gone.
I personally was shocked after reading this :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 HD audio passthrough working on old Amlogic S905X box.0