HTPC Hardware - Is it ok?
Hi!

I will be setting up at htpc that I want to run xbmc on. I have come up with this hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e 2,5GHz Box (CPU (AMD Socket AM2))
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (Moderkort - AMD Socket AM2)
Corsair XMS2 Xtreme TwinX DDR2 PC5400/675MHz CL4 2x1GB
Antec Fusion Black 430 (Svart) (Desktop/HTPC-chassin)

I will throw in a harddrive aswell but I guess that any harddrive will do the trick. So any comments on my setup? Will this be able to play 1080p? Because that is a must...
Hi permagnus, i'm running the same mob and cpu combo.
I got no problems playing 720p and i'm running almost all 1080p with no prob.
tv/beamer out works nice and so does the HDMI
Above all this combo is very energy efficient (if XBMC doesn't run @ full CPU) and it's always nice to have youre HTPC in suspend.
All and all i can recommend this board for Windows (not for Linux) also keep in mind that there is no hardware acceleration (DXVA) for XBMC
On a Win setup u can always run PowerDVD to play your Bleurays (maybe throe the program launcher) it has no probs at all with this.
With this setup u can get all the XBMC fun and still play Bleuray and enjoy HD and the full fun threuHD sound.
if "1080p is a must" in XBMC then you shuld go with a faster CPU, at the very least a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ processor (or faster), ...otherwise you will have to resort to workarounds like Lament Configuration suggest above and play 1080p videos outside of XBMC with PowerDVD or WinDVD
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:if "1080p is a must" in XBMC then you shuld go with a faster CPU, at the very least a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ processor (or faster), ...otherwise you will have to resort to workarounds like Lament Configuration suggest above and play 1080p videos outside of XBMC with PowerDVD or WinDVD

The workaround i suggest is more for playing Bleuray at witch this mobo rules,
currently XBMC doesn't play Bleuray and if u have a HTPC it is nice to play the new Dolby and DTS tracks supported by Powerdvd (and hopefully your reciever) especially with the low prices on Bleuray drives.
Almost all 1080p a trow at it work in XBMC and with further development of XBMC for Win i think it will all play well.
But to be on the safe side u can prob. do with a better CPU.
And to be honest if i would take the one from Gamester17 at heart because he knows his project best Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Hardware - Is it ok?0