Solved Cannot upgrade Kodi
Hello I am running Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela.

I've tried using the software manager to "remove" and "install". It keeps installing Kodi 17.6

I've followed the lines I saw in the official Kodi Wiki Howto, https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux character for character:

Some (later) Ubuntu versions include Kodi built by Ubuntu themselves. If you have installed Ubuntu Kodi, please remove the packages "kodi kodi-bin kodi-data" before trying to install team-xbmc PPA packages.

See SSH or Click here to find out how to use the terminal.

Use the command line terminal and enter the following commands. Follow the prompts as you would any other software installation.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

It installs Kodi 17.6 again and again. I've tried other commands I saw like

"rm -r ~/.kodi/"
sudo apt-get remove kodi*
sudo apt-get remove kodi-bin*
sudo apt-get remove kodi-data*

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get purge kodi*

All to no avail. It keeps grabbing Kodi 17.6. How can I get Kodi 18.5, or the latest greatest Kodi in Linux Mint?
(2020-02-12, 20:22)Boston1Dave Wrote: Hello I am running Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela.
All to no avail. It keeps grabbing Kodi 17.6. How can I get Kodi 18.5, or the latest greatest Kodi in Linux Mint?

Linux Mint 17.2 is too old for Kodi 18. Mint 17.2 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which has too old of a toolchain. If you want Kodi 18, you'll have to upgrade Mint.
@yasij Just my 0.02c... Quoting the whole post for a single line of text is a bit overkill IMO. Quoting is also only necessary when several people are chatting.

Have you ever tried marking a portion of the text and then press the 'Reply' option on the bottom left of that post?
It works like a charm.
I was replying from a mobile phone and clicked the reply button. That was the default behavior for this forum. I would have edited on a PC, but the interface is a pain on a phone.
Ok thanks. That explains the behaviour I guess. I'll have to embark on the task of upgrading my Mint machine I guess. Thanks again.
Ok, didn't take me long to realize that an upgrade from Mint 17.2 to Mint 19.1 would be prohibitive if not impossible so I went to the Linux Mint website and downloaded what they said was Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 32 bit. Burned the .iso fine. Blew away my old Mint machine and did a fresh install of what was on the .iso.....which isn't Mint. It's I presume the latest Ubuntu. I don't need or exactly want a full blown Ubuntu installation on that machine. I can't seem to find out how to find out which Ubuntu it is, but it's running too slow on this older machine I have. Not sure why the .iso was mislabeled but I think I'll have to try again to get the latest Mint and burn and install.            

***typing this and farting around with this new Ubuntu install and I don't think it's gonna work for me. It's a dog. I'm not tied to anything in particular, I just want a smooth, simple, small, fast system for an older machine. I think Mint is satisfactory but I'm open right now to any recommendations of anything better that's easy and solid to use for a Linux newbie.

First thing I'd like to see which Ubuntu I've got. How do you do that?
(2020-02-14, 05:12)Boston1Dave Wrote: Ok, didn't take me long to realize that an upgrade from Mint 17.2 to Mint 19.1 would be prohibitive if not impossible so I went to the Linux Mint website and downloaded what they said was Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 32 bit. Burned the .iso fine. Blew away my old Mint machine and did a fresh install of what was on the .iso.....which isn't Mint. It's I presume the latest Ubuntu. I don't need or exactly want a full blown Ubuntu installation on that machine. I can't seem to find out how to find out which Ubuntu it is, but it's running too slow on this older machine I have. Not sure why the .iso was mislabeled but I think I'll have to try again to get the latest Mint and burn and install.            

***typing this and farting around with this new Ubuntu install and I don't think it's gonna work for me. It's a dog. I'm not tied to anything in particular, I just want a smooth, simple, small, fast system for an older machine. I think Mint is satisfactory but I'm open right now to any recommendations of anything better that's easy and solid to use for a Linux newbie.

First thing I'd like to see which Ubuntu I've got. How do you do that?

You can't edit a post in this forum?

Anyway I found out I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. Is that the latest greatest Ubuntu at least?
here's a kicker. After all of that I decided to get Kodi from the software manager in this new Ubuntu.....and it installed Kodi 17.6! Aint that a kick in the teeth.
(2020-02-14, 05:22)Boston1Dave Wrote: You can't edit a post in this forum?
You are new on this forum, so certain anti-spam measures are active. They will vanish soon over time.

(2020-02-14, 05:22)Boston1Dave Wrote: Anyway I found out I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. Is that the latest greatest Ubuntu at least?
As far as LTS versions go, yes. Although there is also 20.04 beta... ;-)

(2020-02-14, 12:51)Boston1Dave Wrote: After all of that I decided to get Kodi from the software manager in this new Ubuntu.....and it installed Kodi 17.6! Aint that a kick in the teeth.
The default Kodi version from the Ubuntu Store is not recommended. But if it works for your use case, then fine. There is a Kodi PPA for a reason.

PS: I overlooked the 32bit-thing a bit...
(2020-02-14, 12:51)Boston1Dave Wrote: here's a kicker. After all of that I decided to get Kodi from the software manager in this new Ubuntu.....and it installed Kodi 17.6! Aint that a kick in the teeth.

Add the Kodi PPA first, then try installing kodi.  You can check which version will be installed with apt-cache policy kodi-x11 in a terminal. The 'candidate' version is the one that apt will install.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 dl link -> http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/sta...-32bit.iso
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ok, now I've got a fresh new install of Mint. Not fully working. I'm struggling to get file sharing to work now. It was fine before. But I thought hey why not get done the thing that started all this mess and get Kodi 18.5 Leia. So I used software manager and it grabbed Kodi 17.6 Krypton. So ok, not to worry I went back and followed the PPA lines exactly and voila!.......it installed Kodi 17.6. I'll be damned. All around the world, a system that's broken, and I still can't get what I did it all for.
(2020-02-14, 23:42)Boston1Dave Wrote: Ok, now I've got a fresh new install of Mint. Not fully working. I'm struggling to get file sharing to work now. It was fine before. But I thought hey why not get done the thing that started all this mess and get Kodi 18.5 Leia. So I used software manager and it grabbed Kodi 17.6 Krypton. So ok, not to worry I went back and followed the PPA lines exactly and voila!.......it installed Kodi 17.6. I'll be damned. All around the world, a system that's broken, and I still can't get what I did it all for.

ok, update. Tried

apt-get update
apt-get remove kodi kodi-bin kodi-data
apt-get install kodi

And it installed Kodi 18.5 Leia! I guess I had to remove the Kodi that software manager had installed. At least that's the only thing that seems reasonable. Anyway now back to fixing my broken file sharing. Might ask for some help when I've exhausted everything I can think of doing.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot upgrade Kodi0