TiVo Stream 4K
Android TV is where it’s going to be in a few years. I think it’s the most versatile and robust system and taking over all the smart tv hardwares. I’m sure they will eventually get around to ironing out these kinks.
I have no idea why I purchased this dongle, because I hate dongles........ Anyway, it leaves a lot to be desired.  My 4k TV does not do HDR, and there is NO setting to keep from converting SDR to HDR, so all the colors are washed out..........
Update on my Tivo 4k experience.

Since they reduced the price to $39.00 USD in the US, I ordered 2 more for Christmas gifts.....
Curiosity go to me, so I opened one up just to see if it supported the newer AC-4 codec (one of my boxes, and can't find which one, showed AC-4 as supported), but it doesn't.
When I connected to my TV, it had an update.  After I got everything setup, I noticed that the colors were no longer washed out.  They must have repaired the setting the issue for NON HDR TVs.  There is still NO setting to enable or disable the SDR to HDR, but it does work now.
Also, it plays purchased 4k videos under Vudu at 4k resolution, which is amazing, only my Shield can do that.  
So, at $40 it is a keeper. 
I have not tried the new Google Chromecast, so can't compare that....
@clarkss12 still no auto refresh rate right?
(2020-12-20, 01:30)Jönke Wrote: @clarkss12 still no auto refresh rate right?

No
Something's happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.
Today, the colors are all faded again. No more 4K video playback using Vudu.
As far as I can tell, there was no update to make all these changes today.
I am totally baffled about what happened. Yesterday, it was the holy Grail of inexpensive Android boxes, now it's headed to the scrap bin.
I am considering getting the Tivo Stream 4K device to replace my dying Fire Stick 2.  Can someone confirm if I can play H.264/H.265 (AC3) files off my computer via Samba and get Dolby/DTS 5.1 surround sound using pass through?  (I'm reading different things on different forums.)  If not, what are my sound options if I do decide to get the device and use Kodi?
So, with TiVo getting out of Android TV and this being their only & last device for it, a nice deal on it on their site for $39.99 minus 15% ($6) using coupon TIVO15. I (re)ordered one. Had bought one at launch a year ago, and returned it due to multiple issues, but appears, reading Reddit posts, several firmware updates later, it's a fairly solid streamer now.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2021-05-12, 18:48)hdmkv Wrote: So, with TiVo getting out of Android TV and this being their only & last device for it, a nice deal on it on their site for $39.99 minus 15% ($6) using coupon TIVO15. I (re)ordered one. Had bought one at launch a year ago, and returned it due to multiple issues, but appears, reading Reddit posts, several firmware updates later, it's a fairly solid streamer now.

I looked for ANY flattering TIVO Stream 4K reviews on Reddit and elsewhere considering it dropped in price to $25.49. I didn't see any. Care to share a link to the fixes?
Using it for my bedroom where I just have a soundbar & a 4K DV-capable 55". It's basically a slower, lesser version of nVidia Shield TV, okay for secondary streaming & Kodi use. Swapped it for the Fire Stick 4K I had there as I prefer the Android TV UI, and don't care for the latest FTV UI.
(2021-06-03, 21:34)hdmkv Wrote: Using it for my bedroom where I just have a soundbar & a 4K DV-capable 55". It's basically a slower, lesser version of nVidia Shield TV, okay for secondary streaming & Kodi use. Swapped it for the Fire Stick 4K I had there as I prefer the Android TV UI, and don't care for the latest FTV UI.

I have been using my HTPC much more than my Firestick 4K so I will probably hold off, even at the $30 shipped, price point.
Down to $19... TiVo has to be losing money with this fire sale.
a couple of years later...
thinking of purchasing this streamer but i am not sure it fits my criteria which is to be able to pass HD audio like loseless atmos (not atmos over DD+), and dolby true HD.
essentialy I have UHD bluray remuxes I want to play. I am looking to find a streamer that I can put kodi on and play these MKVs with HD audio passthrough to a supporting audio component (in my case a soundbar connected to the TV via eArc)
with the NVIDIA shield it works. will it work with the stream 4K?
thanks for the help!
(2022-05-03, 10:01)xwave Wrote: a couple of years later...
thinking of purchasing this streamer but i am not sure it fits my criteria which is to be able to pass HD audio like loseless atmos (not atmos over DD+), and dolby true HD.
essentialy I have UHD bluray remuxes I want to play. I am looking to find a streamer that I can put kodi on and play these MKVs with HD audio passthrough to a supporting audio component (in my case a soundbar connected to the TV via eArc)
thanks for the help!
The Tivo Stream 4k STILL does NOT support HD audio passthrough, and probably never will.  It is still a nice basic streamer, though.  It does support Dolby Vision, though.
(2022-05-03, 10:01)xwave Wrote: a couple of years later...
thanks for the help!

The Tivo Stream 4k STILL does NOT support HD audio passthrough, and probably never will.  It is still a nice basic streamer, though.  It does support Dolby Vision, though.  Also, if you have any rips that are encoded with the VC-1 video codec, this device will not play that codec.  Same for all the Amlogic boxes that I have tested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TiVo Stream 4K0