TiVo Stream 4K
(2020-05-08, 17:07)clarkss12 Wrote: Strange, but I have no desire to purchase one........  Perhaps the therapy is working...........  Curious if it will play the VC-1 video codec, since it is an Amlogic based SoC.   Also, curious if it passes through any of the HD audio codecs natively.

Initial reports from a user on reddit says HD audio passthrough is failing when using plex:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/g...dium=web2x
It will be running the AMLogic v4.9 Linux Kernel, so like virtually all AML Android boxes running that specific Kernel you get Audio passthru of 5.1 DTS, DD, DD+, DD+/Atmos and from memory the rare DTS-HD HRA (not MA).

The only AML Android devices I know of running the v4.9 Kernel that have comprehensive audio support inc. HD and Multichannel LPCM are the very well supported Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube and AM6 models, none of them legit Google Certified Android TV devices.

(2020-05-08, 17:43)wrxtasy Wrote: It will be running the AMLogic v4.9 Linux Kernel, so like virtually all AML Android boxes running that specific Kernel you get Audio passthru of 5.1 DTS, DD, DD+, DD+/Atmos and from memory the rare DTS-HD HRA (not MA).

The only AML Android devices I know of running the v4.9 Kernel that have comprehensive audio support inc. HD and Multichannel LPCM are the very well supported Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube and AM6 models, none of them legit Google Certified Android TV devices.
Thanks! Do you know if there is any android TV device that does (in kodi or plex, I have given up on netflix/amazon prime/hulu/hbo):

1) auto resolution switching
2) auto frame rate switching
3) auto color space switching
4) hd audio passthrough

I have the mi box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and it suffers from the upscaling to 4k from 1080p  bug.
Does this device have better specs than Vero 4k+? Once you install Kodi, can you install any skin in the Kodi repo?

Thanks
(2020-05-08, 17:54)viplob Wrote:
(2020-05-08, 17:43)wrxtasy Wrote: It will be running the AMLogic v4.9 Linux Kernel, so like virtually all AML Android boxes running that specific Kernel you get Audio passthru of 5.1 DTS, DD, DD+, DD+/Atmos and from memory the rare DTS-HD HRA (not MA).

Thanks! Do you know if there is any android TV device that does (in kodi or plex, I have given up on netflix/amazon prime/hulu/hbo):

4) hd audio passthrough

I have the mi box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and it suffers from the upscaling to 4k from 1080p  bug.

Just get a Ugoos X2 or X3 Cube or the new ODROID C4, all GigaE LAN devices, and run CoreELEC Kodi on them, which will be better for all you want from Kodi. Simple DIY to flash the OS on to a microSDHC and also add a Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite remote.
Easy to do these days. Proven setup.

The Ugoos devices have Android TV ROM’s available for them over on the Freaktab Website. Works well if you do not need to stream copy protected Netflix, Prime, HBO etc. They even dual boot Android TV / CoreELEC. Highly flexible.

Do not want to do DIY then the only Android TV option is the Nvidia Shield for what you want.
Open that fat wallet of yours. Smile

(2020-05-08, 18:47)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-08, 17:54)viplob Wrote:

4) hd audio passthrough

Just get a Ugoos X2 or X3 Cube or the new ODROID C4, all GigaE LAN devices, and run CoreELEC Kodi on them, which will be better for all you want from Kodi. Simple DIY to flash the OS on to a microSDHC and also add a Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite remote.
Easy to do these days. Proven setup.

The Ugoos devices have Android TV ROM’s available for them over on the Freaktab Website. Works well if you do not need to stream copy protected Netflix, Prime, HBO etc. They even dual boot Android TV / CoreELEC. Highly flexible.

Do not want to do DIY then the only Android TV option is the Nvidia Shield for what you want.
Open that fat wallet of yours. Smile 

😂 oh yeah, that fat wallet must have fallen through the hole in my pocket😂 But seriously, I wanted the android features like assistant etc along with decent playback features, hence a legit android box. Looking like the shield is my only choice, I guess!
(2020-05-08, 18:39)Edworld Wrote: Does this device have better specs than Vero 4k+? Once you install Kodi, can you install any skin in the Kodi repo?

Thanks

Yes it has better AMLogic chipset specs, except no GigaE LAN and less storage.
TiVo has an Android TV Google PlayStore, so install Kodi From that and download Addons and Skins just like any other Kodi device.

USB-C > GigaE adapters, some with extra USB3 ports would very likely work with this TiVo Stream

However Kodi will run better on the Vero 4K+ because it is optimised for Kodi usage and you get support like HD Audio, auto refresh and resolution switching, plus it will playback a bunch of old tricky stuff like VC-1, mpeg4 and Deinterlace Broadcast TV and old DVD’s properly.

It really depends on your exact individual wants and needs. You really should list them if unsure.

Just a heads up for TiVO Stream 4K guys, HDMI CEC control on this device is really buggy and the TiVo developers have stupidly not even provided an Android TV settings toggle to disable buggy CEC control, such as you would find on other Android TV devices.

There is a workaround available if you are adventurous with ADB (click)

(2020-02-23, 21:33)grimmace92 Wrote: I guess the question is will it play an mkv file properly or will they lock it down.

I am setting up Kodi on my TiVo 4K Stream right now and it doesn't appear to detect any mkv files from my SMB share sadly enough.  
I happened to setup Kodi on a FireTV stick yesterday and it detected the mkv files.
Also, for what it's worth, my FireTV also detects the mkv files.   
so my long answer to your question is this:
It will not play (or even detect) mkv files....
(2020-05-13, 19:47)unruly1 Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 21:33)grimmace92 Wrote: I guess the question is will it play an mkv file properly or will they lock it down.

I am setting up Kodi on my TiVo 4K Stream right now and it doesn't appear to detect any mkv files from my SMB share sadly enough.  
I happened to setup Kodi on a FireTV stick yesterday and it detected the mkv files.
Also, for what it's worth, my FireTV also detects the mkv files.   
so my long answer to your question is this:
It will not play (or even detect) mkv files.... 

My bad.   I attemtped to delete my post but can't.  The TiVo 4k Stream can play the mkv files.
Looks like a device that is best avoided.  No usb ethernet adapter support, forced SDR conversion to HDR, no automatic HDMI refresh rate switching, no HD audio, CEC bugs, crappy remote (no pause, fwd, rwd), etc.  Better off with the Fire Stick 4K when on sale for half the price.

Edit: Guess some people got ethernet working with certain adapters (link) .  Eventually got my Asix gigabit adapter to work too.  It took a long time for it to get detected and it kept restarting.  Maybe not enough power on the USB-C port!?  The port is USB 2.0.  The micro-usb port only has power, no data.

Looks like a NOGO and BEST AVOID kind of box
A dud as expected..
Seems like TiVo actually have a very active Reddit and TiVo user forum presence and have been listening to user Bug reports and acting on them.

There is already a Firmware update to try and fix HDMI CEC and other problems, discussed over HERE (click)

There were so many issues w/it, I ended up returning mine. Wasn't easy; had to call and argue w/them. This thing may get to where it needs to at some point, but wasn't worth the hassle for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TiVo Stream 4K0