Solved Do I need/want Kodi
My current media server config is a Win 10 PC running PlayOn server and a Roku at each of two TVs in the house that provide the client side access to the server.

I've ripped many DVDs onto an internal HDD in the media server and PlayOn provides a (frankly mediocre) interface to get at what I've archived.

I've done some reading about Kodi and I'm having trouble discerning what it might offer beyond what I've already got. If I did it, I'm thinking of acquiring a Raspberry Pi 4 box I could load it on and place it at the TV.

So my questions are 1) Will Kodi add anything to my current configuration that I'm missing out on and don't realize it (added functionality, ease of use, etc.) an 2) If I should add Kodi on Raspberry Pi, can i still grab the data off my existing server or should I get an external HDD to contain my media?

please bear with me, I'm a relative neophyte in regard to all of this.

Thanks for the advice.
Bill Lugg
do not get Roku  over here but it looks like an android box 
Top Free Hundreds of free channels featuring movies, TV, sports, music and more.
down side with android box is lack of memory an slows down with to much fanart

I've ripped many DVDs onto an internal HDD in the media server this is the part you will find kodi a better fit
(2020-02-23, 01:54)the_other_guy Wrote: do not get Roku  over here but it looks like an android box 
Top Free Hundreds of free channels featuring movies, TV, sports, music and more.
down side with android box is lack of memory an slows down with to much fanart

I've ripped many DVDs onto an internal HDD in the media server this is the part you will find kodi a better fit

Well, I took the plunge and set up a RPi 4 with LibreELEC and Kodi.  It's such an improvement over the way I was doing business with the Roku and PlayOn I don't know how I ever lived without it.  ;o)  Kodi does everything better and faster than the Roku did and I can configure it the way I want it.

Bill Lugg
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do I need/want Kodi0