Off Grid Troubles
I recently set up a media server at an off-grid cabin with no access to the internet. My media is stored locally on a server running Open Media Vault and is shared between multiple devices including a Raspberry Pi, Android boxes, IOS / Android tablets and some media PCs, which all run versions of KODI. I chose KODI for the build because  it is simple, easy to teach to people, and most importantly its unique ability to run offline indefinitely without requiring an internet connection. Every other media manager just has to call home occasionally.  

I am pleased to say that everything has been working flawlessly for about a year. This is due to the fact that I set the whole thing up while I had access to the internet prior to transporting the system to the cabin.  I was able to download metadata and artwork for media files at home on each individual machine before I transported them.

Now here is the rub: I want to update the server with some new media. I plan to load the new media onto a portable hard drive and copy it to the shared storage at the cabin. Without tearing the whole rig down and transporting everything back home - Is there a way to pre-load the metadata / artwork onto the portable drive in such a way that would allow KODI to find and load it without the use of the internet? The perfectionist in me would rather not mar the beautiful interface with the occasional file that does not have artwork. Ugh right?! Then again, I loathe the idea of dragging everything home with me again every time I want to load a few more media files. 

I have searched the forums for a solution and I did find a way to get KODI to store media information individually in media folders rather than one database. I was encouraged for a bit, but either I didn't to it right or KODI isn't designed to load the information locally with no internet access. Either way, the files did not end up with the correct metadata / artwork 

Does anyone know of a solution? If not, no big deal. I will haul the whole mess home and update it there. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. 

Thank you very much in advance for helping!
(2020-02-24, 21:48)Dosaches Wrote: Is there a way to pre-load the metadata / artwork onto the portable drive in such a way that would allow KODI to find and load it without the use of the internet?
Yes. You will obviously need to use an internet connection at your regular home to download the information to transport to the cabin.

See Artwork (wiki) and the tv show and movie sub-pages which will detail how to save local artwork

Scrape your media at home, then read Import-Export library (wiki) and run "To separate files" to save local nfo files with the metadata which can be scanned into your offline Kodi at the cabin.

(2020-02-24, 21:48)Dosaches Wrote: I was encouraged for a bit, but either I didn't to it right or KODI isn't designed to load the information locally with no internet access.
Was this with TV Shows? If yes, then open your tvshow.nfo file and delete the tags <episodeguide></episodeguide> and everything in between.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-02-24, 22:01)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 21:48)Dosaches Wrote: Is there a way to pre-load the metadata / artwork onto the portable drive in such a way that would allow KODI to find and load it without the use of the internet?
Yes. You will obviously need to use an internet connection at your regular home to download the information to transport to the cabin.

See Artwork (wiki) and the tv show and movie sub-pages which will detail how to save local artwork

Scrape your media at home, then read Import-Export library (wiki) and run "To separate files" to save local nfo files with the metadata which can be scanned into your offline Kodi at the cabin.
(2020-02-24, 21:48)Dosaches Wrote: I was encouraged for a bit, but either I didn't to it right or KODI isn't designed to load the information locally with no internet access.
Was this with TV Shows? If yes, then open your tvshow.nfo file and delete the tags <episodeguide></episodeguide> and everything in between. 

Thank you so much for responding! I was hoping that it was possible and that I just was approaching it wrong. I will follow your instructions and try again when I get home tonight.
Moved to Information Providers forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You can also do a very quick hack to keep an identical separate version at home then simply copy the Database file from userdata.

Or even better just have the setup on a small PC like a raspberry PI, easy to transport and just plugin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Off Grid Troubles0