Solved Parsing .NFO file for TMDB - Language query string needed in url?
Quick general question on .NFO - specifically Parsing .NFO files. As per documentation (https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files#Movie_nfo) there should be just one line/url in the file to the scraper site. I have movies (in different folders) for both german and english content and use the TMDB scraper with different locale settings in Kodi.

Now, when I create an .NFO Parsing file for TMDB, does it matter or is it needed to include the language query string parameter?

(Example)
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/330457-frozen-2?language=en-US
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/330457-frozen-2?language=de-DE

Or can I ignore it and just use the url without the language parameter, because the language is determined by the scraper settings in Kodi itself?

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/330457-frozen-2

Just trying to understand this better before I create the .NFO files.
Short answer is I don't know. I have never tested to that fine a level. So as you are already set up to do all this, simply test a couple of movies and let us know the results.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-02-29, 21:05)Karellen Wrote: Short answer is I don't know. I have never tested to that fine a level. So as you are already set up to do all this, simply test a couple of movies and let us know the results.
OK, I ran a few tests with some movies on my setup. It seems like the language query string parameter (?language=<my_language>) is not needed.

Test / Example from my german movie collection on my NAS:
Code:
/media/movies/ger/lotr/lotr.avi
/media/movies/ger/lotr/lotr.nfo
.nfo contains

TMDB Scraper setting for the german movie folder source is set to "de" as preferred language and the Movie is scraped correctly with the german Metadata. Cool

The same goes by the way if the Parsing NFO contains the full url with the language query string, so it seems that as long as the scraper is properly configured with the correct preferred language, it does not matter if the url in the Parsing NFO contains the language query string or not.
(2020-03-02, 22:44)spinmaster Wrote: The same goes by the way if the Parsing NFO contains the full url with the language query string, so it seems that as long as the scraper is properly configured with the correct preferred language, it does not matter if the url in the Parsing NFO contains the language query string or not.

Could you clarify this? are you saying it will always use the language the scraper is set to? so from your earlier Frozen example with scraper set to DE and the parsing nfo containing https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/330457-...uage=en-US then it will still grab the German language details?
(2020-03-05, 13:34)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-03-02, 22:44)spinmaster Wrote: The same goes by the way if the Parsing NFO contains the full url with the language query string, so it seems that as long as the scraper is properly configured with the correct preferred language, it does not matter if the url in the Parsing NFO contains the language query string or not.

Could you clarify this? are you saying it will always use the language the scraper is set to? so from your earlier Frozen example with scraper set to DE and the parsing nfo containing https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/330457-...uage=en-US then it will still grab the German language details?  
That's correct. Even with the english query string parameters in the Parsing NFO file and the scraper in Kodi set to 'German', it will grab and display the german meta data. So from what I see, it seems it is enough to just use the url without the query string in the parsing NFO. Again, I just wanted to make sure before I create a ton of NFO files for my (non-english) movies.
(2020-03-07, 13:36)spinmaster Wrote:
(2020-03-05, 13:34)jjd-uk Wrote:

That's correct. Even with the english query string parameters in the Parsing NFO file and the scraper in Kodi set to 'German', it will grab and display the german meta data. So from what I see, it seems it is enough to just use the url without the query string in the parsing NFO. Again, I just wanted to make sure before I create a ton of NFO files for my (non-english) movies.

Thanks, just wanted to check as no doubt someone at some point will do that.
Sorry to barge in but seems logical to keep the conversation going instead of starting a new thread.

What if one wants the exact opposite? I don't have a single folder per movie and most of my movies are in English so the content is set to EN. However, I do have several French movies that I want to scrape in their original language. Right now, my only solution is to change the content setting of the folder prior to manually scraping a single French movie I just added and then setting it back to English. This is obviously a bit of a pain.

All of this to say that it would provide more flexibility (the whole purpose of NFO files, no?) if one could specify the locale in the URL and Kodi would actually take it into account.

Thoughts?
(2020-07-29, 12:47)ekred Wrote: Right now, my only solution is to change the content setting of the folder prior to manually scraping a single French movie I just added and then setting it back to English.
Nope, that is not your only solution. The easiest solution is to create a new Source. Name it something like Movies-French, save only your French movies there then set your scraper to French. No need to then keep changing settings.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-07-29, 13:20)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-07-29, 12:47)ekred Wrote: Right now, my only solution is to change the content setting of the folder prior to manually scraping a single French movie I just added and then setting it back to English.
Nope, that is not your only solution. The easiest solution is to create a new Source. Name it something like Movies-French, save only your French movies there then set your scraper to French. No need to then keep changing settings.
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure this would work but it really doesn't make sense to me. Right now my movies are sorted in folders by genre and my source is the root folder of all those genre folders. I don't feel like managing a whole new copy of this hierarchy just for French movies, which represent maybe 15-20% of my library. I guess I'll just keep doing what I was doing up until now...
(2020-07-29, 12:47)ekred Wrote: Sorry to barge in but seems logical to keep the conversation going instead of starting a new thread.

What if one wants the exact opposite? I don't have a single folder per movie and most of my movies are in English so the content is set to EN. However, I do have several French movies that I want to scrape in their original language. Right now, my only solution is to change the content setting of the folder prior to manually scraping a single French movie I just added and then setting it back to English. This is obviously a bit of a pain.

All of this to say that it would provide more flexibility (the whole purpose of NFO files, no?) if one could specify the locale in the URL and Kodi would actually take it into account.

Thoughts?

There is a setting in the scraper settings to 'Keep Original Title'. If you enable that setting all your French movies will keep it's French title without frenching up the titles of your other movies. Also if you enter your Media Sources page where all your movie files are listed you can right click and press 'Change content' and change the poster language on a per movie basis. Alot of work if you have alot of movies, but at least Kodi will remember the language the next time you want to refresh the movie information.

Adding another line to the parsing NFO to tell the scraper what language you preffer for that particular movie would be a neat feature, but I don't think it's possible today.
(2020-07-30, 16:58)Tobby Wrote:
(2020-07-29, 12:47)ekred Wrote: Sorry to barge in but seems logical to keep the conversation going instead of starting a new thread.

Thoughts?

There is a setting in the scraper settings to 'Keep Original Title'. If you enable that setting all your French movies will keep it's French title without frenching up the titles of your other movies. Also if you enter your Media Sources page where all your movie files are listed you can right click and press 'Change content' and change the poster language on a per movie basis. Alot of work if you have alot of movies, but at least Kodi will remember the language the next time you want to refresh the movie information.

Adding another line to the parsing NFO to tell the scraper what language you preffer for that particular movie would be a neat feature, but I don't think it's possible today.

Thanks Tobby, that's really helpful! In a perfect world I'd also like the plot to be in the original language but the title is obviously the most important to me. I usually watch foreign movies in their original language (with subs if I don't know it) and prefer the original title in these cases as well so it's a really nice discovery for me. Thanks again!
(2020-07-30, 18:46)ekred Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 16:58)Tobby Wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks Tobby, that's really helpful! In a perfect world I'd also like the plot to be in the original language but the title is obviously the most important to me. I usually watch foreign movies in their original language (with subs if I don't know it) and prefer the original title in these cases as well so it's a really nice discovery for me. Thanks again!

No problem. Like I said, you can edit the scraping language for an individual movie on the media sources page or you can paste any plot you like in the nfo file. See here: https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files#Combination_nfo

I'm the same. Except for kids movies we don't dub films where I live, so I don't want translated titles either. They usually just sound weird.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parsing .NFO file for TMDB - Language query string needed in url?0