passthrough
I am running with ubuntu 18.04.3 and a denon avr-s530bt av surround sound receiver.  I am using an hdmi cable for my signal and sound.  I am using the kodi wiki for my directions.  The examples given are obviously not exactly what my version (kodi build 18.5)  I am trying to install passthrough and failing.  I think my problem is in setting up the pulse audio (not sure). 

digital surround 5.1 (hdmi)
built in audio digital stereo (hdmi) - hdmi / display port (plugged in)
advanced options all checked except for mpeg
built-in audio digital stereo (iec958)   port Digital Output (s/pdif)

The problem is in the multi channel thing.
The first setting shows ALL outputs so I am assuming that is for mutli channel.  The second (option 1) is how it is currently set.
The first direction says:To configure instead Multi channel mode, do the following settings
the option 1 says:  To alternatively configure Multi channel, check this

configuration has two built in audios
the first one is digital stereo (hdmi) output
the second is: Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input

Then I goto Kodi.  passthrough is at the bottom of the audio settings, in the middle of the screen and is apparently nothing as it cannot be set.

Can anybody point me to some documentation that is not confused?

Thank you...................
Processor:                     AMD FX(tn)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Memory:                        15307MB (4282MB used)
Operating System:        Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
(2020-03-03, 20:06)jwhitt12 Wrote: I am running with ubuntu 18.04.3 and a denon avr-s530bt av surround sound receiver.  I am using an hdmi cable for my signal and sound.  I am using the kodi wiki for my directions.  The examples given are obviously not exactly what my version (kodi build 18.5)  I am trying to install passthrough and failing.  I think my problem is in setting up the pulse audio (not sure). 

digital surround 5.1 (hdmi)
built in audio digital stereo (hdmi) - hdmi / display port (plugged in)
advanced options all checked except for mpeg
built-in audio digital stereo (iec958)   port Digital Output (s/pdif)

The problem is in the multi channel thing.
The first setting shows ALL outputs so I am assuming that is for mutli channel.  The second (option 1) is how it is currently set.
The first direction says:To configure instead Multi channel mode, do the following settings
the option 1 says:  To alternatively configure Multi channel, check this

configuration has two built in audios
the first one is digital stereo (hdmi) output
the second is: Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input

Then I goto Kodi.  passthrough is at the bottom of the audio settings, in the middle of the screen and is apparently nothing as it cannot be set.

Can anybody point me to some documentation that is not confused?

Thank you...................
think passthrough is only possible by have a proper ALSA configuration applied to your HDMI Audio device. Passthrough will bypass Pulseaudio and talk directly to the lowlevel alsa driver. Don´t get confused that it will tell you 2 channel only, in fact, passthrough will allow the bitstream to go directly to the AVR where it should get decoded to a surround signal. I have it done with HDMI connecting to the AVR directly, and this allows E-AC3 as well as AAC multichannel to be decoded in the AVR. What does your asound.conf says about HDMI ?
No.

Follow the wiki. After you did that post: pactl list sinks
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
passthrough0