Is Kodi the right solution for my multimedia machine
(2020-05-22, 06:14)PatK Wrote:
(2020-05-22, 03:20)KitChan Wrote: cheap IR receiver for flirc
It is the receiver and plugs into a USB port, set-up with a default software map(alterable) for Kodi. It's uses your IR blaster of choice, so I wouldn't call it a mouse. Line of sight, well IR blasters use inferred light but mine bounces well, but doubt it penetrates deep enough to be hidden behind plastic. I also use a Logitech wireless mouse, but prefer manipulating audio levels with my AVR remote, and Kodi instead of balancing the mouse on some surface. When I'm real lazy, the multi-media keyboard handles it all even though it's a handful.    
https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/5...with_htpc/
According to this thread its both IR and RF, so maybe I could program it as a gyro mouse with an RF receiver?
Edit:
Another thread says it's bluetooth. I could try pairing my PC with it at my brother's place this weekend.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/9...emote_use/

Quick recap where I'm up to.
I have kodi installed and can navigate it with an xbox controller
I have bluray playback on kodi using anydvd and I've installed some addons for live tv over internet.

Things I wish to do:
I would like to open up web links like tv.animelab.com from Kodi
I'd like to find an app which lets me view AV stream from my elgato capture card, so I can play my Nintendo Switch via Kodi without having to change monitor input.
I would like to set up a gyro remote mouse for windows and Kodi
If I get a gyro remote, then im not worried about adding links to open up my games from Kodi as I'll just use Kodi for multimedia
Alternatively, if it's possible to modify my windows login screen to select users with a controller, then I'd rather save money on a gyro remote and add my games to launch from Kodi
(2020-05-22, 06:29)KitChan Wrote: rather save money on a gyro remote
These are terrible at least from my limited perspective.
Flirc doesn't have the hugest LOS. Not like the Microsoft MCE remotes. With that said, there shouldn't be a problem with it for most TV sizes and set ups. I just put mine nearest to my TV's IR sensor. So that there are no issues using a universal remote that turns on the TV with my Kodi.
(2020-05-22, 06:29)KitChan Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/5...with_htpc/
According to this thread its both IR and RF, so maybe I could program it as a gyro mouse with an RF receiver?
Edit:
Another thread says it's bluetooth. I could try pairing my PC with it at my brother's place this weekend.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/9...emote_use/
To use the Magic Remote, or any remote bluetooth or otherwise, you need software that allows it to use Kodi.

Traditional method I think is to assign the hotkeys to the buttons. I have a setup that uses EventGhost to do it, and another setup that uses the FLIRC. That's my strongest setup. My most used Kodi box uses its builtin IR receiver with that Keymap Editor I posted.

So for the Magic Remote it all depends on what kind of input you can get from it. It's IR and it's Bluetooth? That can be cool, depending on what the Bluetooth can do.

Quote:Quick recap where I'm up to.
I have kodi installed and can navigate it with an xbox controller
I have bluray playback on kodi using anydvd and I've installed some addons for live tv over internet.
Good! I am glad the xbox controller works. It's fun customizing game controllers for Kodi.

Quote:Things I wish to do:
I would like to open up web links like tv.animelab.com from Kodi
That should be possible in the next version of Kodi. Version 19 has an Internal Web Browser feature. I do not know the state of its development, as my excitement might lead me to annoy the devs. It's best to leave them to their work, only coming around to once in a while to bring fresh baked cookies.

You can set up web browsers like Chrome or Firefox to launch from Kodi. I have done it successfully on my windows box, but it's not perfect. I had to use Firefox not Chrome, because chrome had too many processes it confused EventGhost. Firefox works fine, but sometimes Advanced Launcher or something in Windows stops the focus from being on Firefox. Basically it launches Firefox but does not switch to it. I've troubleshooted it and got it down to like one error a month thanks to EventGhost, but it's still clunky. One of reasons I am excited for Kodi v19.

Quote:I'd like to find an app which lets me view AV stream from my elgato capture card, so I can play my Nintendo Switch via Kodi without having to change monitor input.
I am not sure about the capture card. Is it a PCI card? Does elgato have a way of viewing it PC? I would need to know how the elgato hardware is setup.

Quote:I would like to set up a gyro remote mouse for windows and Kodi
If I get a gyro remote, then im not worried about adding links to open up my games from Kodi as I'll just use Kodi for multimedia
Alternatively, if it's possible to modify my windows login screen to select users with a controller, then I'd rather save money on a gyro remote and add my games to launch from Kodi
I am not a fan of using a mouse for controlling Kodi or Windows from the couch, as accuracy is a bit important in a desktop GUI. The gyro mouse would need to be pretty close to mouse accuracy. Small icons and elements from the couch may be difficult to operate. It would work good if you had a interface that was large enough. Windows 10's app for Netflix could work, but that's only one app. If you were trying to launch games or other software from the desktop it could get tricky. Kodi performs great with the keyboard/TV remote. Not as good with the mouse, depending on the skin.

Using the login screen from a controller is a bit trickier. I know the Steam Controller can do it because they still work without Steam running. Same thing needs to happen with the Xbox controller. It needs to work before login. I don't own an Xbox controller, so I can't try it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Kodi the right solution for my multimedia machine0