Linux Does Kodi need MESA?
I understand MESA is for 3D, is MESA required to run Kodi?
Yes.
I'm not so sure, actually MESA is not listed as dependency [in my Gentoo box] unless GBM is enabled. Which I do not need, it is EGL Graphics Buffer Manager.
A strange question coming from a gentoo user ...
Depending on how (for which platform) you build - Kodi needs either OpenGL or GLES which are usually provided by mesa, there are exceptions - nvidia and mali blobs which provide opengl/gles themselves (actually nvidia does not provide libGL but does it through libglvnd which does require mesa ...)
On a standard x86 system Kodi can be built either as Xorg/GL (the best for now, reference implementation), Xorg/GLES or gbm/GLES or wayland/GLES.
EDIT: either way you do need mesa (or parts of it).
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.gi...294eda#n42
your distro lists opengl and gles in useflags.

Questions about USEFLAGS and other funky distro-specific stuff are better asked in your distro forums.
You are reading alot into my post I didn't put there. I do not need help with USE flags, no. And Gentoo has nothing to do with my question. If you cared to look at my question then you could have realized USE flag was only mentioned as an pointer. Yes, I'm running Gentoo since 2004, but this does not automatically make me some sort of Linux graphics rendering expert. My preferred UI is command line. As a matter of fact, all these VDPAU, NVDEC, VA-API, Mantle, Vulkan, OpenGL (GLES), Glamor, Gallium, whatnot, etc, are quite a mess in my head. If anyone knows a good source which can represent all these in a systematic manner I'd be all ears. Thanks anyway.
I properly read your question and answered it.
I emphasized USEFLAGS because of confusion they may create in this case, USEFLAGS list opengl/gles but don't list mesa itself as opposed to what other package-based distros do, I pointed you to your distro people in case you needed an explanation of the reasons behind that.
Mesa in fact actually provides many things.
As I said opengl/gles/egl can be provided by other non-mesa packages, eg. mali on arm and nvidia blobs,
and as I also said - in modern x86 linux world Kodi does require mesa (or certain parts of it, depending on the configure-time options), even with nvidia blobs certain parts of mesa are required.

> As a matter of fact, all these VDPAU, NVDEC, VA-API, Mantle, Vulkan, OpenGL (GLES), Glamor, Gallium, whatnot, etc, are quite a mess in my head. If anyone knows a good source which can represent all these in a systematic manner I'd be all ears. 
These are very different things/APIs.

Good luck finding such a systematic info, if you find something like that please share the link I'd like to read that too ). (no kidding, no sarcasm)
You may have better luck trying to read what are these things you listed one by one, and maybe you could achieve a more global vision about how all this crap is related.
I have a notion about what all these are but I'm no expert and writing down my limited understanding would make a lengthy and most probably incorrect/imprecise post which is btw is out of the scope of these forums.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Linux
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi need MESA?0