Movie library question: Store artwork, info, etc in a different folder than movies
Hi.

I'm setting up Kodi and got a question about movie library.

Is it posible to assign a different folder to store nfo, artwork, etc than the movies folder?

I'm using a flat structure with a main folder named "Movies" containing all the mkv files.

I mainly use my movies thru the computer instead of the tv box with Kodi, so I want the movies folder to stay clean of accessory files for Kodi.

Can it be done to have a different folder to store all the covers, artwork, etc?
(2020-03-18, 14:07)TassMetal Wrote: Is it posible to assign a different folder to store nfo, artwork, etc than the movies folder?
Preferably also in one large dump folder, like you do with your movies..?

Initially, Kodi stores covers, fanart etc in its Thumbnails cache folder. That folder location is hardcoded in Kodi. All metadata is stored into the video database.
Only when you do a video library export, then you have a choice to flush all of that in a single folder.

All movies in one folder, is that pure laziness or does a deeper underlying thought process prove its worth there?
(2020-03-18, 15:17)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-03-18, 14:07)TassMetal Wrote: Is it posible to assign a different folder to store nfo, artwork, etc than the movies folder?
Preferably also in one large dump folder, like you do with your movies..?

Initially, Kodi stores covers, fanart etc in its Thumbnails cache folder. That folder location is hardcoded in Kodi. All metadata is stored into the video database.
Only when you do a video library export, then you have a choice to flush all of that in a single folder.

All movies in one folder, is that pure laziness or does a deeper underlying thought process prove its worth there? 

Is not laziness, folders are the best way for Kodi and most mediaplayers with scrappers but the reason for keeping them in one folder is that personally I don't use a mediaplayer, I use my PC with to choose the film, so it's easier to do it with all the movies been a long list in a single folder because I don't use a media player in the way of Kodi, I just go to the movie and play it with a Windows player (in my case Zoom Player with MadVR). Now I'm setting up Kodi in the Android TV Box for my children, but the main use will still be under PC, so the easier way there is to have a folder with just MKV files.
You should be able to continue using your set-up the way you like on the PC as Klojum mentioned. One tip would be that "(in my case Zoom Player with MadVR)" you can use this set-up within Kodi as an External players (wiki) for the benefit of the Kodi library.
(2020-03-18, 18:45)PatK Wrote: You should be able to continue using your set-up the way you like on the PC as Klojum mentioned. One tip would be that "(in my case Zoom Player with MadVR)" you can use this set-up within Kodi as an External players (wiki) for the benefit of the Kodi library.

Yep, thanks both of you, out of the description of how Kodi handles the artwork from Klojum I understood that I don't need the export with images in the movie folder for it to work (I missthought so), and thanks again for the tip about ZP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie library question: Store artwork, info, etc in a different folder than movies0