Do all Ubuntu-based distros support the official Kodi PPA?
Now that Linux Mint and some other Ubuntu-based distros have newer kernels included, I've been wanting to try something other than Ubuntu on my HTPC.  Linux Mint seems to be OK so far (and I will probably stay with it), but I was curious if there are any other distros that are known to work especially well with the PPA.
(2020-03-19, 01:17)Maxxarcade Wrote: but I was curious if there are any other distros that are known to work especially well with the PPA.

The PPA is meant mainly for Ubuntu-flavored x64-64 only distros, although Mint does seem to have some hiccups now and then.
The basis is the vanilla Ubuntu distro.
(2020-03-19, 01:17)Maxxarcade Wrote: Now that Linux Mint and some other Ubuntu-based distros have newer kernels included, I've been wanting to try something other than Ubuntu on my HTPC. 

Side note

I would only consider the switch to something else if you are in need of new features/fixes a newer Kernel provides. In case you don't see a benefit, then don't switch. In case you are not sure and just want to use the latest and greatest Kernel, then don't switch.

If you want to test and get more experience, then switch Wink. Just saying that it's also sometimes a hassle to deal with newer kernels in combination of specific hardware. For example: Fedora 31 (where I get a Kernel update every now and then) and NVidia hardware where I have to reinstall the driver on EVERY!!! Kernel update. This means:

- update and get a newer kernel
- change runlevel to multi-user.target
- reboot and login as root
- reinstall the nvidia driver to get the DKMS modules build
- changing runlevel to graphical.target
- reboot

That, sometimes can become annoying. Ubuntu and Mint won't get that many Kernel updates. But just saying Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do all Ubuntu-based distros support the official Kodi PPA?0