How to get media keys working on Ubuntu 19.10 for Kodi
(2021-02-14, 13:29)wastis Wrote: Here is a solution that worked for me. Quite simple.

Linking a 10-yr old forum thread, from 2011... I'm not sure if that is the best way to go.
And please don't link it in every thread related to remotes that you can find on this forum.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide a full Debug log (wiki) | Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | VPN policy (wiki)
Sorry, was just looking at last posts which dated back to end of last year with a specific problem to a recent Ubuntu version and did respond with my solution to it, linking this thread with the same issue which I only found later. I'll never do it again.
OK, for curiosity I spent again a bit of time and tried to get "MPRIS D-Bus" interface on a fresh LinuxMint 20.10 Xfce running. This addon has the potential to enable the Multimedia keys on my MCE remote within KODI ("out of the box"). 

I have to admit, I cannot find proper documentation on this. I figured out that the Python packages python-dbus and python-gobject needed to be installed. Those are Python2, Python3 packages do not work.

Code:
sudo apt install python-gobject python-dbus

After this I did install the addon within Kodi.

I see still error messages in the Kodi log,

Code:
2021-02-14 19:23:45.004 T:139882991187712   ERROR: service.mpris.soundmenu: GetAll called with bad interface 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties'
2021-02-14 19:23:45.232 T:139882991187712   ERROR: service.mpris.soundmenu: GetAll called with bad interface 'org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Playlists'

and only the Play/Pause and Stop are working. None of the other keys.

There is also a package pympris which could be installed by pip, however pip process for Python2 seems to be broken. Not sure whether this package solves the process, though.

For now, I swap back to my working solution previously posted by me, however I feel this is the solution to go into the future, to have MPRIS build into Kodi or into an addon.
continued... and finally I succeeded to install pip in an older version
Code:
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/2.7/get-pip.py --output get-pip.py
python2 get-pip.py
and with this pympris
Code:
pip install pympris

So error messages in Kodi log are gone. Still, multimedia keys that are working are PLAY/PAUSE and STOP, multimedia keys that are not received by Kodi are NEXT/PREV and Volume up/down/mute.

Another disadvantage compared to the inputlirc method is that certain keys a not exclusively handled by KODI, such as Power Button and Windows/Start button, maybe resulting in undesired behaviour.
But therefore it might be slightly more easy to install.
(2021-02-15, 09:09)wastis Wrote: continued... and finally I succeeded to install pip in an older version
Code:
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/2.7/get-pip.py --output get-pip.py
python2 get-pip.py
and with this pympris
Code:
pip install pympris

So error messages in Kodi log are gone. Still, multimedia keys that are working are PLAY/PAUSE and STOP, multimedia keys that are not received by Kodi are NEXT/PREV and Volume up/down/mute.

Another disadvantage compared to the inputlirc method is that certain keys a not exclusively handled by KODI, such as Power Button and Windows/Start button, maybe resulting in undesired behaviour.
But therefore it might be slightly more easy to install.

Try this - worked for me.  358079 (thread)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get media keys working on Ubuntu 19.10 for Kodi0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.