Fed up with configuring HTPC to play 4K HDR10 content, looking for alternatives?
I have a very capable HTPC with i7-8700K CPU, Nvidia GForce GTX 1080Ti GPU and 32GB Ram. However configuring madvr, setting up nvidia control panel, tweaking the shit out of the HTPC does work, but I am still not able to play several 4K movies through Kodi.. I am using a combination of MPC variation of players.. sometimes they work, while others they dont.
So here I am, looking for an alternative. I have several 4K movies on my NAS, and have kodi installed on my htpc using SMB. All of my 4K movies are in ISO format originally mkv, but converted to ISO.. U know all that crazy process to make 4K work wtih Kodi.

So here is my question... What is a good alternative, Nvidia Sheild or Apple TV's 4K capable player.
Also do these platforms also require me to convert each of my 4K movies to ISO from MKV? I have several Full ISO 4K movies but when i extract them they are in several folders that include BDMV etc.. I have to pull out the largest MKV file, and delete the rest, and convert the mkv file to iso to make it work with Kodi to play in my htpc. Is this the same way it will work in Nvidia sheild and or apple tv?
Eitherway Whats a good player for 4K HDR10?
There is already a Kodi hardware sticky thread for 4K HDR Kodi solutions, including links for forks of X86_64 Kodi Matrix with various GPU’s that does not need to use MPC

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

I would start by changing to NFS networking personally before doing anything needing high bitrate 4K HDR support.

You really should not need to convert .mkv’s to ISO for Kodi 4K video playback with modern solutions. Never had to do that personally on any 4K capable Kodi platform - the ones that can do 8/10bit HEVC hardware decoding.

(2020-03-25, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: There is already a Kodi hardware sticky thread for 4K HDR Kodi solutions, including links for forks of X86_64 Kodi Matrix with various GPU’s that does not need to use MPC

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

I would start by changing to NFS networking personally before doing anything needing high bitrate 4K HDR support.

You really should not need to convert .mkv’s to ISO for Kodi 4K video playback with modern solutions. Never had to do that personally on any 4K capable Kodi platform - the ones that can do 8/10bit HEVC hardware decoding.

Thanks for your reply bro, this is a big relief. I have been forever struggling with tweaking frames etc with sometimes madvr, sometimes nvidia control  or even mpc-b or some shit.
Thanks for your suggestion, i was looking at that thread and got terribly confused. Is there a consensus as to what is the best possible solution out there out of everything that is listed and tried by the members on that thread?
I have a 4K HDR10+, Dolyby Atmos Vision TV and a AVR.
With regards to changing the networking to NFS, i am on UnRAID on XFS file system, would it be hard for me to change the networking to NFS? I use the map drive option on my HTPC in windows 10 and add the server details there \\192.168.1.10\Media
so there is no smb extention.
How do i figure out what networking is used to map the partition to my htpc?
I too was like you, always made my own boxes, compiled every other day

Bought an odroid N2 with openelec and not looked back - plays everything, has cec - just works
(2020-03-25, 17:36)luna_s Wrote: I too was like you, always made my own boxes, compiled every other day

Bought an odroid N2 with openelec and not looked back - plays everything, has cec - just works

What is the best place to buy it if you are in the US?
(2020-03-25, 18:10)MANswers Wrote:
(2020-03-25, 17:36)luna_s Wrote: I too was like you, always made my own boxes, compiled every other day

AmeriDROID, and if you want speed also get a 16GB eMMC flash storage module.

Plus buy a wireless MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote from Amazon or similar.

https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-n...ec-edition

All adds up to a proven combo that “just works”

Yeah, I like that I power off the N2, and it powers off the TV and the AVR too, I also now only need the TV remote 
All the high bitrate audio no longer skips either

Oh when I said openelec, I mean coreelec of course - getting my branches mixed up!
(2020-03-26, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-03-25, 18:10)MANswers Wrote:

THanks for your replies, i have ordered the N2 Module earlier today. I am about to order the eMMC module as well. There are two options the Green Dot and the Red dot.
By the way, please dont mind my stupid qusetion, what is the benefit of the eMMC storage? Will it store the Kodi's interface? Skins? Metadata? etc?
Should I order the 64 or the 128GB module if thats the case?

I have a few more questions, i will post in the official Odroid N2 thread.
(2020-03-26, 08:12)luna_s Wrote: Yeah, I like that I power off the N2, and it powers off the TV and the AVR too, I also now only need the TV remote 

Oh when I said openelec, I mean coreelec of course - getting my branches mixed up!
I wonder if the N2 works with the Logitech Harmony remote?
(2020-03-26, 09:35)MANswers Wrote:
(2020-03-26, 08:12)luna_s Wrote: Yeah, I like that I power off the N2, and it powers off the TV and the AVR too, I also now only need the TV remote 

I wonder if the N2 works with the Logitech Harmony remote?  

Via Infra-red - yes, the N2 has an integrated IR receiver (it doesn't come with a remote control, but you can customise CoreElec to work with almost any remote you have - including a Harmony).  But for Bluetooth control from the Harmony Hub you'd need a USB Bluetooth adaptor as the N2 doesn't have on-board Bluetooth.
(2020-03-26, 09:35)MANswers Wrote:
(2020-03-26, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-03-25, 18:10)MANswers Wrote: What is the best place to buy it if you are in the US? 

THanks for your replies, i have ordered the N2 Module earlier today. I am about to order the eMMC module as well. There are two options the Green Dot and the Red dot.
By the way, please dont mind my stupid qusetion, what is the benefit of the eMMC storage? Will it store the Kodi's interface? Skins? Metadata? etc?
Should I order the 64 or the 128GB module if thats the case?

I have a few more questions, i will post in the official Odroid N2 thread.
I got mine with a 16GB emmc with coreelec pre installed, I just prefer EMMC as it can have a better performance advantage and less likely to fail

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fed up with configuring HTPC to play 4K HDR10 content, looking for alternatives?0