[RELEASE] AutoWidget - Let your widgets work for you!
(2020-03-29, 00:59)drinfernoo Wrote:
(2020-03-29, 00:37)bsoriano Wrote:
(2020-03-28, 23:22)drinfernoo Wrote: Have you ever been scrolling your homescreen widgets, wishing you didn't have to change them manually just to surface different content? Have you ever wondered why it seems like the "big box" streaming services never show you the same list of movies twice? Why can't Kodi work like this? It turns out... it can. Big Grin

Introducing: AutoWidget

I've been at this for a few months now, so AutoWidget is currently sitting at version 1.2.5, but I've had plenty of testers, and I think it's finally ready for a wide release, so let's get to it!

Basically, AutoWidget lets you define your own custom "groups" of widget paths, and then point any widget at that group, in order to get a widget that automatically changes its content every so often. In this way, you could have a widget that shows movies of a random genre... or one that shows shortcuts to each genre. You could have only a few widgets, but let them cycle through a large number of playlists or library nodes, allowing you to more easily surface more varied content, automatically.

You can also set up "shortcut groups", which function very much like a "submenu" or "category" widget, but completely managed by AutoWidget, and almost endlessly customizable.

I've made a video introducing it and running through most of the features of the add-on, as well:

To install it, simply add my GitHub URL as a file manager source: https://drinfernoo.github.io/
This source contains both the "stable" and "dev" repos for AutoWidget, but I only recommend installing the "stable" repo, in order to get official releases, rather than WIP builds.

For more information, check out: https://www.github.com/drinfernoo/plugin...utowidget/
To report bugs or request features: https://www.github.com/drinfernoo/plugin...et/issues/

Enjoy!
@drinfernoo , this is awesome, thank you! Will this work with any skin?

Regards,

Bart

EDIT: Never mind, you answered the question in your video Smile 

Currently, the only skin I know it won't work with is Aeon TAJO, as it's integration with Skin Shortcuts is... shaky at best Confused

I'm also aware that it probably won't work with the "fallback" and/or "global" widgets many skins allow you to set... but I had an idea earlier today in how I can get around that in the near future Smile

EDIT: For what it's worth, between myself and my testers, I know it's been tested successfully with Aura, AuraMOD, Aeon Nox: SiLVO, Arctic Zephyr 2, Arctic Horizon, and Titan BINGIE. I have suspicions that it may not work with Estuary Mod, but I haven't tested it Big Grin 
@drinfernoo , I maintain Amber.  I just tested shortcuts widgets with Amber and it works great, thank you! I will be testing a lot more in the coming days.  

Regards,

Bart

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] AutoWidget - Let your widgets work for you! - by bsoriano - 2020-03-29, 01:14
Suggestion for next version - by justin150 - 2021-03-08, 13:37
Android Shortcuts - by JSAKelley - 2022-01-12, 05:33
RE: Android Shortcuts - by jdig4240 - 2022-01-12, 07:11
RE: Android Shortcuts - by JSAKelley - 2022-01-12, 16:10
RE: Android Shortcuts - by jdig4240 - 2022-01-12, 16:51
RE: Android Shortcuts - by JSAKelley - 2022-01-12, 23:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] AutoWidget - Let your widgets work for you!1