v18 A way to copy files from Kodi to local storage?
Hello,

Latest Leia here on various OS platforms. Mostly Ubuntu and OSX
Probably missing something obvious, as this seems like a simple question. Maybe not..
I just want to be able to copy a file to local storage from within the Kodi application. In my case it is from samba shares that Kodi has access to.
I am looking for a way to copy a movie or other file from the playlist item via a context menu or similar command.
I am aware of ways to copy more generally. Many thanks

Either a hint with an add-on or generally any other way to do this. I see others have asked the question over the years but no obvious solution
that at least I could find.
Grateful for any hints. Many thanks. Stay safe!
Use the file manager (settings -> file manager).  Choose the destination directory in the left window, navigate to the file you want to copy in the right window, highlight it and from the context menu choose copy.  Kodi must have write access to the directory you want to copy it to.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-04-02, 14:01)black_eagle Wrote: Use the file manager (settings -> file manager).  Choose the destination directory in the left window, navigate to the file you want to copy in the right window, highlight it and from the context menu choose copy.  Kodi must have write access to the directory you want to copy it to.

Thanks Black Eagle,

I realize my question was unclear. Apologies for that. I guess I am looking for a way to copy a movie or other file from the playlist via a context menu or similar command. I am aware of ways to copy more generally. Many thanks
(2020-04-02, 14:18)houser Wrote: I guess I am looking for a way to copy a movie or other file from the playlist via a context menu or similar command.

AFAIK, there is no such functionality. Also, moving movies or tv series/episodes will require scraping and clean video library actions. Kodi stores full paths to its video entries.
Without giving it much thought, it seems like what would be needed is a option that both updates the library and changes file location in one step.  Or an alternative of a library "locate lost file" function that could be used after a file was moved.

scott s.
(2020-04-02, 17:03)scott967 Wrote: it seems like what would be needed is a option that both updates the library and changes file location in one step. 

I can think of other functions:
- Separate actions (Library Update) for movies and tv shows
- Full clean up of database entries when removing a movie or tv shows/episode
- Changing a source location via the internal GUI or an add-on

All should not be that difficult, but the manpower for coding those is simply not there at this time.
Appreciate the answers. Many thanks!
What I was looking for is more simple though.
Typically, grab and copy a movie to a USB stick to bring for remote viewing.
No updating of any db at all is needed. It would be a nice and handy little feature for less savvy family members.
Admins and nerds can obviously deal with this quite easily..
But I hear you. Priorities..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A way to copy files from Kodi to local storage?0