Android MINIX NEO U22-XJ
ImageImage

ProcessorQuad Core Cortex A72+ Dual core Cortex A53 Processor (64-bit)
GraphicsMail-G52 MP4
Memory4GB DDR4
Storage32GB eMMC 5.1
Wireless Connectivity802.11 ac 2 x 2 Dual-Band Wi-Fi(2.4GHz/5.0GHz), Bluetooth 4.1
Video OutputHDMI®2.1, up to 4K @ 60Hz HDR
Audio Output• HDMI®, 3.5mm stereo jack, optical SPDIF
Power• DC 5V, 3A adapter included (CE, FCC certified)
OS SupportAndroid 9.0 Nougat
Supported Video Formats• DAT/MPEG/MPE/MPG/TS/TP/VOB/ISO/AVI/MP4/MOV/3GP/FLV/MKV/M2TS/MTS/M4V/WMV/ASF
Supported Audio FormatsMP2/MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG/OGA/FLAC/ALAC/APE/AAC

An Entertainment Powerhouse.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ is designed to be the centre of your home entertainment needs.
Transforming the entertainment experience with hardware that captures the cinemac experience, delivering a
dynamic audio and visual experience that puts you right at the heart of the action.
Immerse yourself in next-level entertainment all from your living room with NEO U22-XJ.

Unleash the Power.
Featuring a true high-performance processor and powered by Android 9.0 Pie, NEO U22-XJ is built for speed.
Optimized to deliver blazing-fast, responsive performance that pushes the capabilities of MINIX Media Hubs
and unleashes next-gen power.

Stunning 4K Ultra HD Visuals.
Enjoy flawless true 4K Ultra HD imagery that’s vivid, nuanced and powerful.
NEO U22-XJ effortlessly achieves an ultra-realistic, lifelike viewing experience; bringing the cinema into your home.
Discover thrilling 4K HDR entertainment; NEO U22-XJ handles a variety of HDR formats, including HDR10, HDR10+
and Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision: Brings Entertainment to Life.
Behold the stunning brilliance of Dolby Vision.
Dolby Vision pairs extraordinary 4K clarity with the vibrant colour, brightness and detail of High Dynamic Range to create
an immersive, engaging cinematic experience that brings entertainment to life.
NEO U22-XJ’s advanced 4K HDR technology dramatically expands the colour paletie and contrast range, producing
movie theatre quality in the comfort of your living room.

Dolby Audio: Cutting-Edge Surround Sound.
Fill the room with immersive Dolby Audio surround sound.
NEO U22-XJ’s cuting-edge surround sound elevates your audio experience; premium audio that flows around you.
Be captivated by the astonishing clarity, richness, detail and depth of Dolby Audio via optical S/PDIF and analogue
audio outputs.

Premium Connectivity.
With 802.11ac 2 x 2 MIMO Dual-Band Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet, NEO U22-XJ supports super-fast wired and wireless
connections; perfect for streaming your media content.
NEO U22-XJ offers a full range of premium connectivity with HDMI 2.1 that supports high resolution video and
high bitrate audio playback with superior reliability, 3 x USB 3.0 ports for maximum versatility and incredibly-fast
transfer speeds, and a Micro SD card reader that’s ideal for increasing the total storage capacity.

Designed for Silent Performance.
NEO U22-XJ’s intelligent thermal design directs system heat away from the centre to ensure ultra-reliability and
performance even under full load and long-term usage.
This fanless, passive cooling design allows NEO U22-XJ to operate in absolute silence and contain no moving parts.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
MINIX do know how to design high quality boxes with top class internal hardware components...

However some buyer beware notes with this new device..

It’s not recommended at all for CoreELEC use at the moment, in fact MINIX are not even trying to help 3rd party developers properly to be able to boot from a microSDHC card.
See HERE (click) for details.

Remote controls:

The included Infra Red remote control pictured above will be useless for use with the tablet / touchscreen Android Pie OS the U22 uses. It looks the same as the U9’s IR remote which was frankly annoying as hell to use as it had to be pointed directly at the box.

I have recently bought a new key Backlit MINIX A2 lite remote and am having major issues with it...

1) Unlike the older A2 lite remote , these new remotes do not wake up from battery saving sleep when you pick them up. You Annoyingly have to press a button first before you can use the remote. This was the same problem the older A3 remote had.

Seems MINIX are not interested in fixing such a problem with the new remote models even after many complaints from previous A3 remote users. They are simply not listening it seems.

2) Stupidly the much used and wanted, audio Mute button has gone missing on the new Backlit MINIX remotes, replaced instead by a Settings button.
Seriously what are MINIX thinking here ?
Whilst other vendors add a much wanted Mute button - they remove it.

DolbyVision:

Whilst the S922X SOC used in the U22 is DV licensed. You will not be able to playback DV Dual Layer 4K Rips.
There simply is no video playback software available on any external media player device to support such content.

W.

(2020-04-05, 05:57)wrxtasy Wrote: DolbyVision:

Whilst the S922X SOC used in the U22 is DV licensed. You will not be able to playback DV Dual Layer 4K Rips.
There simply is no video playback software available on any external media player device to support such content.

W. 

Hmmm, the main reason why i wanted to purchase it was to see if DOLBY VISION and HDR10+ .
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2020-04-05, 15:36)movie78 Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 05:57)wrxtasy Wrote: DolbyVision:

W. 

Hmmm, the main reason why i wanted to purchase it was to see if DOLBY VISION and HDR10+ .

HDR10+ is likely to work, especially if CoreELEC is ever able to be used. But comparatively cheap S905X2 devices can do that already.

Single layer DV files that are already Muxed with DV Metadata might work on the U22. It would be interesting to see what the Kodi Netflix Addon would be able to do with a DV licensed S922X SOC on a device that has WV L1 DRM and HDCP

Maybe someone can experiment with the similarly S922Z SOC - DV licensed - 2019 Fire TV Cube Gen 2. and that Kodi Addon.

In the end I'm not getting my knickers in a knot over Bluray Rips - DV, due to the fact my Panasonic GZ OLED does very good Dynamic Tone Mapping of regular HDR10 content anyway. But you have to pay $$$ for that sort of Premium TV - Picture Processing.

Yesterday, took Minix up on offer to test/review U22-XJ . Reading posts on CoreELEC forum & locked threads on Minix forum don't inspire confidence at this point. Hope John at Minix will allow for open discussions.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Yeah, I used to be active over on the old MINIX forums, but it is very noticeable now that it has turned into an echo chamber of MINIX fanboys and dictatorial helpers / moderators.

Users are being chastised for asking about Firmware releases and do not dare post a negative comment. Sad
I really do not know what has happen lately in MINIX land. It never used to be like that.

I’m still highly critical of expensive devices that are sold (like the U9) and then do not receive another major Android OS version upgrade after sale, even when it is available from the SOC manufacturer.
Users need to be made well aware of that Business model when buying expensive devices IMHO.

Second OTA Firmware Update for NEO U22-XJ - V003_20200430.

You can find it by going to the FOTA Update app.

Changelog

1. VPN now works with Ethernet
2. Added root switch
3. CPU performance boost
4. ES File Explorer removed, X-Plore added [requires factory reset after installing the firmware update]
5. Four rotate screen options (0, 90, 180, 270)
6. Fixed several D-Pad issues
7. Fixed several on-screen keyboard issues
8. Changed Launcher3 background
9. Redesigned F.O.T.A app
10. Updated Google app

---

We are aware of the following important issues and actively working to resolve them ASAP:

1. Automatic Refresh Rate Switch is missing
2. Certain formats not working correctly via HD audio pass-through
3. SAMBA

We shall release regular firmware updates to address these issues, along with other bugs that are discovered.

---

CoreELEC

Unfortunately, the patch to make CoreELEC bootable from USB 3.0 ports is missing from the 003FW OTA firmware update.

We will add the patch to NEO U22-XJ's next OTA firmware update.

If you wish to boot from USB 3.0 ports now, you'll need to manually install the firmware.

The firmware is available to download from below link:

http://theminixforum.com:9009/firmwares/...0200430.7z

Follow the attached manual installation instructions.

Alternatively, if you wish to use CoreELEC but don't wish to manually install the firmware, CoreELEC can be booted from the USB-C port using the OTA firmware version.
Hey Guys,

can please anyone answer me, if i can use a stock kdoi direct installed from the google playstore with working framerate switching and full kodi support?
I have till now the minix neo u9h and i like this device very much. With this box i can use a stock kodi from the store and it seems completly working with framerate switching and stuff.
Is that with the Minix Neo u22 XJ also the case?
My next android box must also have this functionality!
Is there maybe a better android-box-alternative?

regards
(2020-07-17, 07:23)playerdude Wrote: Hey Guys,

can please anyone answer me, if i can use a stock kdoi direct installed from the google playstore with working framerate switching and full kodi support?

The U22-XJ does NOT have working Kodi Refresh switching support, see the latest Firmware release:
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thre...able.2998/

Quote:I have till now the minix neo u9h and i like this device very much. With this box i can use a stock kodi from the store and it seems completly working with framerate switching and stuff.
Is that with the Minix Neo u22 XJ also the case?

No. HD audio passtheu is also not working.

Quote:My next android box must also have this functionality!
Is there maybe a better android-box-alternative?

There is.
For regular Tablet Android OS there is the well sorted out Ugoos AM6 Plus:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...ight=Ugoos

For Android TV there is the Nvidia Shield.

Both of those have working Android Kodi Refresh switching and HD audio passthru.

I also suggest with the Ugoos you get a WeChip G30S remote from AliExpress as a package deal.
See those details in this START HERE thread:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Quote:The U22-XJ does NOT have working Kodfdi Refresh switching support, see the latest Firmware release:
This are bad news. Why this is the case? Is that becouse the new amlogic chipset? Will it work in the future with this player? 
With my old new u9 ist working great, so i don t understund becouse its not working with the new flagship from minix. 
Quote:No. HD audio passtheu is also not working 
Thats not important for my yet. Ac3 and DTS is completly enough for me. 
Quote:For regular Tablet Android OS there is the well sorted out Ugoos AM6 Plus:
With this payer autoframerate swithing is working with a stock kodi installed from the google playstore? 
Is this confirmed?
Quote:For Android TV there is the Nvidia Shield.

Becouse the devs of the nvidia made a bad job not impelementing an optical spdif output, the switch is not usable as mediaplayer for me.
I don t want connect the switch directly over hdmi with my avr, only that i have ac3/dts. I don t want to turn on every time my large avr if i want use the switch only that i have multichannel audio.
No, in my opinion its a design bug. Maybe i buy a switch for my emulation hobby but not as media player.
I mean the shield of course, switch was a typo.
Additional questions to the Ugoos AM6 Plus:
Is or can the device easily rootet? Is there a working full-backup-system like trwp or rommanager?
This is esential for me for the decision for or against this device.

Then maybe a basic question, but can anyone please tell me the differences between android-tv and a regular android?
Are there any advantages to have android tv instead of regular android on a consumer android-player?

What is that all about with kodi/elec? Has this any advantages compared to android tv or a regular android?
I have a read there is an "emulation-elec"? What is that exactly?
(2020-07-17, 17:00)playerdude Wrote: I mean the shield of course, switch was a typo.
Additional questions to the Ugoos AM6 Plus:
Is or can the device easily rooted? Is there a working full-backup-system like trwp or rommanager?

You really need to read the Ugoos AM6 thread - answers are in there. TWRP is possible if you flash custom Android (TV) ROM from Freaktab. There is a LOT of support for that device over on Freaktab. All the stuff you want works and is available.

The Ugoos has superior Android Firmware vs the MINIX U22-XJ.
Go to the Ugoos thread if you want to post questions about that device.

For CoreELEC info click HERE

Android TV devices - Nvidia Shield, Mi Box etc etc uses a simple D-Pad remote and easy to use Apps built specifically for a TV screen - for audio and video streaming. You do NOT have to use a difficult to use Air Mouse to use Android TV Apps.

Google Certified Android TV devices usually come with Netflix Approval and always come with Google Chromecasting certificates plus all the proper DRM's and approvals for streaming 1080p/4K copy protected video from paid subscription services. Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Google Play movies etc.

Thank you for your answer.
I am a simple enduser, i don t want to invent the wheel new: )
i just want to have an easy to use device, llike my minix u9.
I also don t have the time to beginn a study if things should are to complectatet for the enduser. 
I want in the first line, i an plug and play devivce like the advertisment is promissing.
Not to forget that the ugos device will costs me about 200€ over amazon.
For that price i expect that i don t have to much work with t6his device and it is working like it should.
I will also ask in Ugoos Thread.

regards
I gave up on this box and don't plan to review it Sad. The Android side is awful for reasons already mentioned (no refresh rate nor resolution switching, no HD audio), plus unable to install Android TV launcher (even after root). Shame as the box is pretty fast and responsive. I also don't find the new Minix A3 remote slow (seems as good as my A2). Figured CoreELEC might be a saving grace, but a dozen+ attempts later, just won't install and continues to throw errors. I've tried multiple USB sticks, image burners, and re-downloading the right image & using the right dtb file.
(2020-07-19, 00:48)hdmkv Wrote: I gave up on this box and don't plan to review it Sad. The Android side is awful for reasons already mentioned (no refresh rate nor resolution switching, no HD audio), plus unable to install Android TV launcher (even after root).

I really do not know what has happened to MINIX - they used to put out decent Firmware but lately new Hardware releases have had show stopper bugs and missing features.
Bug Fixing Firmware support seems damn slow as well vs the competition.

By comparison I saw mentioned the other day Ugoos with their AM6, X2 and X3 lineup have had 14 Firmware updates since initial devices release and seem to be continually pumping out bug fixes with higher quality Firmware and properly working features, especially for Kodi support.

I think MINIX need to have a damn good look at themselves because they are shooting themselves in the foot with expensive hardware and poor support. No
The competition has caught up and passed them

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U22-XJ0