How to open a program out of a shell?
Sorry, if already asked, but the search function and browsing the forum didn't help me. 

First of all I have to mention that I am a Linux noob and that English is not my native language. 

But now to my question:
I really would like to know how I can open Kodi from within a terminal. Kodi is loaded automatically at systemstart. Normally I won't see the Linux GUI at all. But sometimes it happens that Kodi terminates and that I see the Linux GUI. In this case I would like to start Kodi from within a terminal app (Termius it is called), which is installed on my iPhone, because there is neither a mouse nor a keyboard connected to my HTPC. I have no clue at all how to do it. When I start terminal app, I am in the home directory of the Kodi user. Unfortunately running the command "kodi" won't start Kodi. It only gives me the error message:
Code:
Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-gbm not found
That's weird because there is no kodi-gbm in that directory.
But it would be nice, if it were that easy to start Kodi. 
Can someone tell me, how to do it? As a workaround I always run the command
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
in Termius, but that's not the way I would like it to have. 

My System:
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x64
KODI Leia 18.6
KODI is installed using the official repository "ppa:team-xbmc/ppa"
What is the init system in mint?  Systemd?  Might be more straightforward to modify the kodi.service to simply restart on exit.  If they have kodi running as its own user the right way, that user shouldn't have shell access so you'd be restarting it from the init system anyway.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2020-04-05, 00:19)graysky Wrote: What is the init system in mint?  Systemd?  Might be more straightforward to modify the kodi.service to simply restart on exit.  If they have kodi running as its own user the right way, that user shouldn't have shell access so you'd be restarting it from the init system anyway.

Sorry, I am a Linux Noob. Sad I installed Kodi using the official repository. After that I used one of the built-in functions of Linux Mint to make it autostart. That works flawlessly. But I fear Kodi is not started as a service. But I don't know for sure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to open a program out of a shell?0