Problem with ISO movie not playing properly
I have a new Kodi installation (Ubuntu) replacing one I had on an older computer. I decided to do a fresh install.
My old Kodi install worked great - just other programs I used were slow - so I re-installed on a new machine.

Now some of my DVD ISO's no longer play correctly. I'm hoping it is settings of some type.
I get an image where the top half of the screen is "scrunched" showing the video and the bottom have are just vertical bars....as if the last pixel row of the movie was dragged downward to fill the screen.
This does not happen on all of my movies (which are stored on an external drive which I unplugged from the old computer and plugged into the new one).

Would someone point me to what settings I should look at that may explain why this is happening? Old Kodi works, new Kodi doesn't (same verson of Kodi (Leia)).

Old graphics = Nvidia ion (Acer Revo) - HDMI output
New graphics = Radeon HD-8570 - DVI output to HDMI (via adapter)

(I am considering upgrading the graphics card to a GT 1030 which has native HDMI support - perhaps that is the issue?)
(2020-04-09, 13:26)mjz3348 Wrote: New graphics = Radeon HD-8570 - DVI output to HDMI (via adapter)

Well, 'new' is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? That is a 7-year old graphics engine. Smile

I don't know the status of AMD drivers for old(er) hardware, but the GT1030 has worked stable in Ubuntu and in LibreELEC for me with proprietary drivers, upto 8K.

Two downsides though:
  1. Nvidia doesn't support 10-bit video via its VDPAU drivers in Linux, only 8-bit.... Not sure how/if Ubuntu 20.04 is gonna change that.
  2. Kodi is likely to drop Nvidia support altogether after Kodi 19, partly because of Nvidia's bollocks attitude towards Linux the last couple of years, and no dev has offered to do an adaptation to the new NVDEC/NVENC.
(2020-04-09, 13:42)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-04-09, 13:26)mjz3348 Wrote: New graphics = Radeon HD-8570 - DVI output to HDMI (via adapter)

Well, 'new' is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? That is a 7-year old graphics engine. Smile

I don't know the status of AMD drivers for old(er) hardware, but the GT1030 has worked stable in Ubuntu and in LibreELEC for me with proprietary drivers, upto 8K.

Two downsides though:
  1. Nvidia doesn't support 10-bit video via its VDPAU drivers in Linux, only 8-bit.... Not sure how/if Ubuntu 20.04 is gonna change that.
  2. Kodi is likely to drop Nvidia support altogether after Kodi 19, partly because of Nvidia's bollocks attitude towards Linux the last couple of years, and no dev has offered to do an adaptation to the new NVDEC/NVENC.

Yeah - by new I meant I just bought an old box on ebay that had a great 4 core cpu (i7-4790) compared to the Acer it is replacing. So it's "new" in my home. I haven't bought a graphics card yet - so what would be a good recommendation for a small form factor computer (Dell Optoplex 7020 sff). The GT 1030 will fit and is recommended for this box.
(2020-04-09, 16:25)mjz3348 Wrote:
(2020-04-09, 13:42)Klojum Wrote:

Two downsides though:

Yeah - by new I meant I just bought an old box on ebay that had a great 4 core cpu (i7-4790) compared to the Acer it is replacing. So it's "new" in my home. I haven't bought a graphics card yet - so what would be a good recommendation for a small form factor computer (Dell Optoplex 7020 sff). The GT 1030 will fit and is recommended for this box. 
All working great now ... video is crisp and sharp during Kodi! All I did was update the AMD drivers using:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-t...aver-linux

It worked - even the desktop is much sharper than before (and I thought before was just fine).

Any suggestions for optimize settings for video? I have a 4 core i7-4790 in the system, so throwing video processing at it should be no stress at all.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with ISO movie not playing properly0