Solved Black Bars - No top but double bottom black bars - is it possible?
Hi Kodi Fellows,

I was wondering if it would be possible to maintain the original aspect ratio, not zoom in, but still be able to get rid of the black bar on the top of 21:9 movies on 16:9 display via something like I'd call "No top but double bottom black bars" kind of representation.
Basically what I'm looking for is to shift the useful video area up all the way to the top edge of the screen, see picture below:

Why am i looking for it is simple: I have a Philips Ambilight3 TV with active led stripes on the 2 side and at the top "extending" the picture to the wall.
Now this works perfectly with 16:9 content, but with 21:9 the black bars at the top of the screen are kind of defeating the purpose.
Any idea how I could achieve what I'm looking for?

Many thanks!

(2020-04-12, 07:34)kovacsgergely83 Wrote: Basically what I'm looking for is to shift the useful video area up all the way to the top edge of the screen

There is an option "Vertical Shift" in the video OSD settings.
Setting it to -1.00 should move the displayed area to the top.
Saving it as default should then work on our all videos.
I use it myself for placing subtitles in the bottom area for better readability.

It's possible that not all video hardware supports this option, so 'YMMV'.
Many thanks for your input Koljum. "There is an option "Vertical Shift" in the video OSD settings." - can you post a screenshot where this setting exactly is?
I might have been barking on the wrong tree but under Video Calibration I only see topleft overscan, bottomright overscan, subtitle and aspect ratio settings, like here.
Or did you meant maybe to set topleft overscan to (0,-1)?
Oookay, I've figured out, that I don't know what an OSD menu is. Smile

Sir, you are a lifesaver, works like charm.
Interesting thin is that for me (HTPC with nVidia 1050Ti just for reference ) between -1.0 and 1.0 the picture didn't move at all, but to be honest I don't even care if I need to manually shift all my 21:9 content, as long as finally can.

Vertical Shift = 0
Setting and Picture

Vertical Shift = -1.13
Setting and Pitcure

Ambilight pics/vids will follow up when its dark, but you can already see that it's exactly what I've been looking for.
Many thanks!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Bars - No top but double bottom black bars - is it possible?0