Simple web interface to browse/play only
If this is the wrong forum let me know. I think of the web interface as a skin but it's not really ....

I'm looking for a web interface that is really simple that just let's users browse the movies and music and play items. I specifically DON'T want them to be able to change anything on the server OR be able to act like a remote control. The target for this is peoples' phones & tablets. It would be ideal if things like Genres, etc all worked and if it sort of kept track of recently played, etc.

BTW if there is a alternative to a web UI that uses some sort of Apple or Android app I'm open to that suggestion but I don't think a stand DNLA client cuts it as they are usually pretty crude. One exception is the Plex app but it only works with Plex so that doesn't help.

It might be possible to do all this with the current Kodi default web UI but I just don't know how to configure it ....

Thanks for anyone's help.
Ok so I figured out how to hide the menus and some features I wanted to get rid of.

A few things that I still can't figure out is how to get items like Genres and actors on the main movies menu.  I can see how to get there with filter but I was hoping for something more like what the music does.  Thoughts?

I'm also trying to get rid of the right side panel that is Kodi vs local.
I'm still not sure how/where you want your items to play. Do you want people to use their phones as a TV remote so they can play stuff on a Kodi device, or do they need to play stuff on their phones from a remote file server?

A right side-panel in Kodi..? Which skin are you using? Or which web UI?
Settings>Services>Control>Web interface>Get more...

Multiple options to choose from. Arch is the prettiest imo but I don't believe it supports browsing by genre.
OK this might be better off over in Chorus (the web browser interface) .... i'm going to report it over there because it migth be more focused visibility.

Thanks and if the Admins want to delete this feel free
(2020-04-13, 15:39)fogpuppy Wrote: Thanks and if the Admins want to delete this feel free

Admins/mods have tools to move post/threads again.
Don't go littering all in multiple locations.
ok I'm an idiot there is NO forum for Chorus so let's keep it here.  I'm talking about the Chorus 2 Web interface (through a browser).

Ideally I want people to be able to just be able to open a web browser on their laptop/phone/tablet and start browsing and playing media.  I don't want them to have to download and install any specific app (DLNA or other) in advance if I can avoid it. 

I figured out how to remove some of the menus (browser, thumbs, etc) by changing settings in the Chorus UI.  The problem is those changes seem to only apply to the browser the specific device and browser i'm using.  If I use a different device or even a different browser on the same device it reverts back to the original menus.  I'm looking for a way to make these changes (ie remove the thumb, browser, etc menus) and make it universal to all devices and browsers who connect.

Alsp in Chorus on the right side is a panel that slides in that has two tabs at the top labeled Kodi and Local.  I ideally want everything to be local (ie in this browser) and would like to get rid of this panel totally.  I also want to totally turn off the ability of this web interface for controlling the kodi server at all except for browsing and playing media.  there are lof of places where other server level function creep in.

Comments / thoguths?
fogpuppy Wrote:I'm looking for a way to make these changes (ie remove the thumb, browser, etc menus) and make it universal to all devices and browsers who connect.

The only way to accomplish this is to modify the web server code directly. Source code is here.

fogpuppy Wrote:Alsp in Chorus on the right side is a panel that slides in that has two tabs at the top labeled Kodi and Local.  I ideally want everything to be local (ie in this browser) and would like to get rid of this panel totally. 

Easiest way to get rid of the panel is to not use chorus. I commented on that in my previous post. Wink
I looked at the other web "skins" available including Arch but ... they all have similar problems.  Many of them only play the movie on the main Kodi display (I want it to play in the web browser of the device).  And all of them allow too much access to the server.  I guess I might be looking at cloning and "dumbing down" the Chorus2 UI.  Any suggestions for a quick method to create a copy the Chorus 2 on my system (and call if something else) to try a little light hacking?  If it was a more normal addon I'd probably just copy it but since it comes in in a different way than other stuff I'm not 100 sure if that's going to work.
Download chorus2 from the link I provided. Extract he 'dist' folder from the zip archive then rename it to something like webserver.mine. Modify the 'id=webserver.mine' and 'name=whatever' fields in addon.xml then copy the payload to the kodi addons folder the location of which is OS specific.

Restart kodi and enable through the addon browser 'Add-ons>My add-ons/Web interface' if using the default skin. That's it. You can now select the copy as your web server. Hack away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple web interface to browse/play only0