newbie help needed
i just installed kodi on my lg tv. i am looking to network videos stored on an external hdd connected to my mac via usb 3.0 docking station. the computer setup is in a different room than the tv. all are connected through my nighthawk router via ethernet wire.

since i am new to kodi, i cant seem to figure out how to configure it to see my hdd. any help would be appreciated.
you should configure file sharing for your hdd on Mac: Settings - Sharing - File sharing - add your hdd or the folders you need, in Options enable SMB.
(2020-04-13, 17:55)kambala Wrote: you should configure file sharing for your hdd on Mac: Settings - Sharing - File sharing - add your hdd or the folders you need, in Options enable SMB.
thanks for responding. i have done that. the issue is i don't know how to configure the kodi client on my tv to see the hdd.
(2020-04-13, 18:08)geb724 Wrote: the issue is i don't know how to configure the kodi client on my tv to see the hdd.

If your Mac is already using SMBv2 (which it should), then you won't be able to browse to your HDD. This WAS a feature of SMBv1, but the feature has been removed as part of all the secuirty improvements of SMBv2. You will also need to have a password on your Samba share. Try adding the HDD source in Kodi's "Add network location...", enter full credentials incl the password, and 'things should work' ™.
(2020-04-13, 19:45)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-04-13, 18:08)geb724 Wrote: the issue is i don't know how to configure the kodi client on my tv to see the hdd.

If your Mac is already using SMBv2 (which it should), then you won't be able to browse to your HDD. This WAS a feature of SMBv1, but the feature has been removed as part of all the secuirty improvements of SMBv2. You will also need to have a password on your Samba share. Try adding the HDD source in Kodi's "Add network location...", enter full credentials incl the password, and 'things should work' ™. 
"full credentials" is where i am having a problem. when it asks for protocol and server name i don't know what to enter.
(2020-04-13, 19:45)Klojum Wrote:

from kodi.wiki site: Image 3- Type in either the IP Address or the Device name of your server. this is where i have a problem. i don't know how to determine my ip address or the device name. is the ip address the one i would receive from whatsmyipaddress? the device name from system preferences? if so neither of them worked.
You basically have two IP addresses:
- an address for your local network
- an address that signifies your connection to your internet provider.

The former is significant in your case here.
Try opening a Terminal window on your Mac, and type in ifconfig. You should see some information on your network adapter(s), including an IP address likely beginning with 192.168 .
(2020-04-13, 20:58)Klojum Wrote: You basically have two IP addresses:
- an address for your local network
- an address that signifies your connection to your internet provider.

The former is significant in your case here.
Try opening a Terminal window on your Mac, and type in ifconfig. You should see some information on your network adapter(s), including an IP address likely beginning with 192.168 .
the only 3 items that resemble an ip address after doing ifconfig are: 127.0.0.1; 10.0.0.17 and 169.254.162.112. none of which work when i enter it as the network server address.
Anything starting with 169.254 is probably a wrongly connected network device.
Is your Mac getting confused because more than 1 device wants the same network address?
The typical IP ranges for home networks start with either 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x .
(2020-04-13, 22:20)Klojum Wrote: Anything starting with 169.254 is probably a wrongly connected network device.
Is your Mac getting confused because more than 1 device wants the same network address?
The typical IP ranges for home networks start with either 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x .
when i go into the router interface @10.0.0.1  i can see that the imac is 10.0.0.17. but when i enter that as the server name i get an error message "not permitted".  i don't think the mac is getting confused. how would i know?
I have very little Mac experience, I'm only applying generic network knowledge here.

So where does the 169.254.162.112 address come from?
(2020-04-13, 22:35)Klojum Wrote: I have very little Mac experience, I'm only applying generic network knowledge here.

So where does the 169.254.162.112 address come from?

lol! no idea. thanks for your help.
(2020-04-13, 19:45)Klojum Wrote: You will also need to have a password on your Samba share. Try adding the HDD source in Kodi's "Add network location...", enter full credentials incl the password, and 'things should work' ™.

I confirm this solution (at least on Mojave). Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newbie help needed0