LibreElec + VDR : How to edit the records ?
Video 
Hello,

I want to know how to edit/cut the records done with the backend VDR under Kodi, even I use LibbreElec on  a RaspberryPi 3.

With VDR, when you are watching a video, you could edit it with the followings keys :
  • 0 (zero) to set a mark
  • 4, 6 to move backward and forward the mark
  • 7, 9 to move at the previous and next mark
  • 2 to launch the edit/cutting operation

My configuration :
  • LibreElec with a RaspberryPi 3 : https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/raspberry-pi-3-3/, version 9.2.1
  • DVB Tuner : Sundtek MediaPro III (the remote command is not working correctly), used in DVB-T mode
  • VDR Backend
  • VDR VNSI client
  • classic USB Azery keyboard to control Kodi (for the moment)

I've tried the 'live' plugin for VDR but I can't see the image of my TV channel. It's only possible if I use VLC.

What's the solution to edit/cut the records done by VDR under Kodi ?

Thank for your replies and help.

Best regards.
Afaik it's not possible to cut recordings within Kodi.
(2020-04-15, 18:03)Uatschitchun Wrote: Afaik it's not possible to cut recordings within Kodi.
Thank you for your reply.

Oh, sh..t ! Sorry for my language Wink

I'm under Linux if Kodi is not usable to cut the video. Anyway, under Kodi or Linux , how to cut the records in TS format for HD TV without loose quality, subtitles, other languages ? What is the solution ?
(2020-04-15, 18:35)hp28 Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 18:03)Uatschitchun Wrote: Afaik it's not possible to cut recordings within Kodi.

I'm under Linux if Kodi is not usable to cut the video. Anyway, under Kodi or Linux , how to cut the records in TS format for HD TV without loose quality, subtitles, other languages ? What is the solution ? 

Regarding the alternative way to edit recordings: on which system do you want to do that? The same machine on which VDR is running? Is VDR and Kodi on the same machine. Please explain your setup first!
(2020-04-23, 20:09)villeneuve Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 18:35)hp28 Wrote:

Regarding the alternative way to edit recordings: on which system do you want to do that? The same machine on which VDR is running? Is VDR and Kodi on the same machine. Please explain your setup first!         
Hello Smile

I've tested VDR with https://www.minidvblinux.de/ (MLD) on a Raspberry Pi 3 for record and edit, but I have too many troubles with the last version. An other thing that I want is to integrate the MLD solution in the other parts of my equipments/tasks : backup of the RPI3 (in case of crash), NFS servers/clients, Glusterfs, backup on cloud, etc., always under Linux, with a preference for Debian for the other computers.

At this point, I use LibreElec (as described in my first post) on a RPI3 to record with VDR and an USB3 hard drive to store the records.

If I can record and edit the videos with LibreElec/Kodi, it will be fine, but as Uatschitchun wrote it, I can't...

I will be happy to edit the records on a PC (x86) with a complete VDR installation for example. I have an other USB DVB Tuner (as a tuner is required to install VDR) to proceed to the installation even if no record will be done with the PC. The DVB tuner is a USB stick RTL-SDR with a R820T2 tuner / https://www.passion-radio.fr/recepteurs-...2-248.html.

To keep my PC stable, I prefer use the native package management of the Linux distribution.

Or if an other solution exists to edit the videos under Kodi, I'll try it. I'll try other solutions too which can conserve all video's data and quality.

I suppose (may be I'm wrong) that if I keep VDR to edit, I can keep the abstract of the records and all other associated data.

At this moment, without an edit solution, I loose more than 15 minutes of disk space for each records, the space is limited on the USB disk Sad
Using Avidemux is a way to cut recordings
Funnily I'm also currently trying MLD :-)
So with MLD on the RPi 3 you used the VDR OSD oder Kodi?

I don't know what the backup-, NFS-, etc. stuff has to do with this issue but I'd recommend an OpenMediaVault (OMV) system for that, possibly installing UrBack Client on the RPi if that's possible to automatically back that up onto the OMV machine.

It's true that inside the Kodi GUI you can't edit VDR records and it also lacks many other features compared to using VDR from it's own frontend.

So you could turn another PC into an HTPC running VDR or you could just install VDR onto a PC that runs a usual Linux desktop environment. It does not need to have it's own tuners if you don't want to and a real physical tuner is also not needed anymore for VDR installation since there are plugins like IPTV, SatIP etc. that act as the tuner.

For lossless cutting outside of VDR check out https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut
Let me tell you though that nothing is more comfortable than editing recordings via VDR's OSD. I use VDR since 2003 and I'm still amazed how well and easy the editing works, even if it just lets you cut at key-frames or whatever they are called. The only thing I'm really missing is throwing away certain soundtracks that you don't want to keep. With that I guess I'd save 2 TB of space.

I hope this posting was a little bit helpful at least.

*EDIT regarding Uatschitchun's comment that was posted while I was typing* Avidemux is also a very well known tool. I used that and LosslessCut for certain recordings I had from Enigma2 DVB-receivers, but I can't remember which was easier to use. IIRC Avidemux can do a lot and therefor might be more tricky in terms of usage.
(2020-04-24, 16:23)Uatschitchun Wrote: Using Avidemux is a way to cut recordings
With Debian, this marvelous program is not available directly, because Avidemux use a special version of 'ffmpeg'. But, it possible to use this using some other tools like Appimage. I'll try.
(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: Funnily I'm also currently trying MLD :-)
MLD is a dedicated version of VDR, and only VDR. So you have a full VDR OSD interface. Some other interfaces exist to make the setup. I'd like to have the full VDR interface. But the distribution is minimal and it's not like a standard Linux distribution.

Please, give me the results of your tests.

(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: I don't know what the backup-, NFS-, etc. stuff has to do with this issue but I'd recommend an OpenMediaVault (OMV) system for that, possibly installing UrBack Client on the RPi if that's possible to automatically back that up onto the OMV machine.

OpenMediaVault is a very good solution to build a NAS. You can use RAID to manage the disks, useful when a disk crash. But if the server for the NAS crash, you temporally loose all. It's like if you have a 'node' that it used as a NAS. It's one point of failure.

For me, the advantage of GlusterFS is to have many 'node' used as NAS. The minimum is 2 nodes. Like this, if a node crash, you have always a NAS usable. You can have many nodes. There is several mode of replication of your data, comparable to the RAID methods. An other advantage, is I can extend as I want the capacity of each node with any type of disks.

I find interesting to have a standard system to use all package of the Linux distribution used. With LibreElec or MLD for example, the number of packages is smaller, for a distribution, LVM wasn't available.

Thank you for 'UrBack', I keep this in mind. I doesn't know it.

(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: It's true that inside the Kodi GUI you can't edit VDR records and it also lacks many other features compared to using VDR from it's own frontend.
I like VDR's frontend. Some features are present in commercial TV recorder. But it's a very powerful solution.

(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: So you could turn another PC into an HTPC running VDR or you could just install VDR onto a PC that runs a usual Linux desktop environment. It does not need to have it's own tuners if you don't want to and a real physical tuner is also not needed anymore for VDR installation since there are plugins like IPTV, SatIP etc. that act as the tuner.
Install VDR on my Debian it's my next task. But, I'don't know if all features like editing the video are available. The interface seems very different. I found the explications very hard to found/understand to have the full VDR's interface or if it's even possible. I've understand that the window manager must be stop and X11 conserved or used the framebuffer ... My knowledge of the installation of VDR is not good, I try to master this subject ;-) Some interesting information that I found was in German, normal, but when I use Google Translate I obtain some surprising things sometimes.

(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: For lossless cutting outside of VDR check out https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut
Let me tell you though that nothing is more comfortable than editing recordings via VDR's OSD. I use VDR since 2003 and I'm still amazed how well and easy the editing works, even if it just lets you cut at key-frames or whatever they are called. The only thing I'm really missing is throwing away certain soundtracks that you don't want to keep. With that I guess I'd save 2 TB of space.
I've tried it under Debian on a TS file recorded with LibreElec/Kodi/VDR during one half of hour. If there is only one sequence it's good, but with three parts it doesn't ... Some time to spend to understand the soft and how use it.  Here too, any help will be appreciate :-)

(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: I hope this posting was a little bit helpful at least.

*EDIT regarding Uatschitchun's comment that was posted while I was typing* Avidemux is also a very well known tool. I used that and LosslessCut for certain recordings I had from Enigma2 DVB-receivers, but I can't remember which was easier to use. IIRC Avidemux can do a lot and therefor might be more tricky in terms of usage.
Yes, very helpful :-)
(2020-04-24, 16:30)villeneuve Wrote: Funnily I'm also currently trying MLD :-)

I don't know what the backup-, NFS-, etc. stuff has to do with this issue but I'd recommend an OpenMediaVault (OMV) system for that, possibly installing UrBack Client on the RPi if that's possible to automatically back that up onto the OMV machine.

It's true that inside the Kodi GUI you can't edit VDR records and it also lacks many other features compared to using VDR from it's own frontend.

So you could turn another PC into an HTPC running VDR or you could just install VDR onto a PC that runs a usual Linux desktop environment. It does not need to have it's own tuners if you don't want to and a real physical tuner is also not needed anymore for VDR installation since there are plugins like IPTV, SatIP etc. that act as the tuner.

For lossless cutting outside of VDR check out https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

I hope this posting was a little bit helpful at least.

Hello,

this are tools (avidemux, losslesscut) are interesting and i will try them, but they outside of VDR.

I prefer the plugin marked an cutting mechanism of VDR with the plugin xineliboutput.

At server side you have to start the xineliboutput plugin with "--local=none and --remote=37890" and on the client side (any linux system) you only have to install the xineliboutput-client vdr-sxfe.   vdr-sxfe connect to your MLD and you are able to use the VDR as on the TV including the OSD.

BR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreElec + VDR : How to edit the records ?0