Howto edit a previous post in the forum
Hi,
all is in the title how is it possible to modify a previous post in the forum?

Sometimes I read in the header of threads that posts are edited at ... 
But I don't see anywhere a button to modify a post that i wrote and that i want to modify.
I believe edit abilities come with a certain number of posts. Its anti-spam measures.
(2020-04-16, 06:20)sitro Wrote: all is in the title how is it possible to modify a previous post in the forum?

You do not have edit capabilities YET, because you are a relative new member of this forum.
Because of anti-spam measures, your edit powers will be activated after a number of posts and a certain time period.

Be patient, grasshopper.
(2020-04-16, 06:38)Fuzzard Wrote: I believe edit abilities come with a certain number of posts. Its anti-spam measures.

ok so if i spam lots of posts about everything and nothing i will have the edit function. Well Wink
(2020-04-16, 10:41)sitro Wrote: ok so if i spam lots of posts about everything and nothing i will have the edit function.

And you may have a fun short time, and subsequently be kicked off the forum for spamming. Wink
(2020-04-16, 06:39)Klojum Wrote: your edit powers will be activated after a number of posts and a certain time period.
It is not written in the Forum Rules, or I missed reading
(2020-04-16, 06:39)Klojum Wrote: your edit powers will be activated after a number of posts and a certain time period.

Be patient, grasshopper. 

Anyone know the number of posts and the time required ?
(2020-04-16, 10:49)sitro Wrote:

Be patient, grasshopper. 

Anyone know the number of posts and the time required ?   

because if it's 100 posts, for me it's mission impossible I'm only 7 posts (8 with this one).  I'll be dead before
Yes we do know, but it's not something we advertise.

You're not too far off the requirement.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
So the function to edit (modify) a post appears after a certain number of post and a registration deadline. This formula is an anti-spam measure.
this is a big anti-spam measure:
I imagine a spammer sending messages, hundreds, thousands, then after coming back to each of them, clicking on the "Edit" button to modify them and validating their modification.
Wink
This forum is constantly under spammer assault as we have very high user views so we are a prime target, so these measure are in place for very good reasons. Also like everything else to do with Kodi the moderators are volunteers who do this in their free time, so they don't want to be constantly spending that free time deleting spam posts so we have a whole series of measures in place to ease the workload on the moderators. Even with everything we've done some of the more devious spammers still get through, but at least it's manageable numbers for the mods. In addition as volunteers there's no guarantee that there will be someone available to deal with spam.
(2020-04-17, 12:12)sitro Wrote: So the function to edit (modify) a post appears after a certain number of post and a registration deadline. This formula is an anti-spam measure.
I imagine a spammer sending messages, hundreds, thousands, then after coming back to each of them, clicking on the "Edit" button to modify them and validating their modification.
Wink

Maybe not in those volumes, but posting of innocent (or at least vanilla) messages and then coming back to edit them into a spam payload drop was happening on a daily basis here. That was why the measure was put into place, as it got too much hunting them down when found and reported.

We didn't just put it in place without good cause, if for no other reason than answering the question of why new users can't edit does get annoying for us as well after the 10th or so time Wink .
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-04-17, 12:12)sitro Wrote: So the function to edit (modify) a post appears after a certain number of post and a registration deadline. This formula is an anti-spam measure.
Wink

they would be kicked off and membership cancelled
New users don't usually make posts which require editing, aside from the odd typo their posts are usually generic questions.
Yep, and we'd much rather see a 2nd post, or even 3rd post making any corrections (as long as they are genuine corrections) than have to deal with the spam.
(2020-04-17, 13:04)jjd-uk Wrote: This forum is constantly under spammer assault as we have very high user views so we are a prime target, so these measure are in place for very good reasons. Also like everything else to do with Kodi the moderators are volunteers who do this in their free time, so they don't want to be constantly spending that free time deleting spam posts so we have a whole series of measures in place to ease the workload on the moderators. Even with everything we've done some of the more devious spammers still get through, but at least it's manageable numbers for the mods. In addition as volunteers there's no guarantee that there will be someone available to deal with spam.
hi,
I understand your exasperation at constantly answering questions from neophytes like me.
When I asked how to activate the 'Edit' button I was thinking more of a mysterious parameter hidden in the web interface rather than an absent functionality depending on the level of novitiate.
Besides, it was only when my question was put by a moderator in the right section that I realized that the question had been asked many times

Having said that I saw that there was an FAQ and Rules somewhere.
Then may I suggest adding a section in it like:
when you register on the forum you get a beginner level, you have access to basic functions like reply to a thread; open a new thread. It is only after a small participation from your share on the forum that you can upgrade your level and have access to more features.
(2020-04-24, 13:56)sitro Wrote: when you register on the forum you get a beginner level, you have access to basic functions like reply to a thread;

Sorry, but that is not going to diminish the majority of the spam posts that we currently see and stop.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto edit a previous post in the forum0