Linux Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware?
Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware?
I'm imagining using :-
  • different IP addresses for each Kodi instance (so using different ethernet or wifi adaptors)
  • different Kodi Music Libraries for each instance (I'm only expecting to use this for music)
  • a common audio LR output to one HiFi
Control would be from Kore or Yatse to one server or the other, chosen by Kodi IP address.
Both Kodi servers would start up at power-on.

Currently I'm running Kodi on Ubuntu on a low-powered Gigabyte Brix unit.  Reason for the question is that half the music is sensibly/conventionally tagged. The other half is random stuff navigable only by filename or tag Title.
Please don't tell me to tag it all properly!

Red
a common audio LR output to one HiFi <- this basically means, both instances will make limited sense to run the same time. As only one instance should play audio.

Check into kodi's profiles, here you can manage two profiles, with different music database each.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
If you intend to only play one instance at a time while leaving the other one running the simplest solution may be to run them in lxd containers. This method would effectively give you full hardware muscle as needed to the containers without the overhead of virtualization. As far as media you can map directories from the host to each container. This is how I have my scripts shared to my 3 containers with 1 file instead of a separate file for each container. I'm not sure how but it can't be too hard to map audio output from a given container to the host audio outputs. Give them separate ip addresses. This would require a bridge on the host. Ultimate goal is each container would look like another machine on your network but still be the same physical hardware.

this thread made me look into it for my own use at home. I will mess about and see where I can get.
(2020-04-18, 08:17)fritsch Wrote: a common audio LR output to one HiFi <- this basically means, both instances will make limited sense to run the same time. As only one instance should play audio.

Check into kodi's profiles, here you can manage two profiles, with different music database each.
Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I'll need to launch Kodi from the command line to start with a specific profile.
Some reading to be done!
cheers
(2020-04-19, 21:03)jmgibson1981 Wrote: If you intend to only play one instance at a time while leaving the other one running the simplest solution may be to run them in lxd containers. This method would effectively give you full hardware muscle as needed to the containers without the overhead of virtualization. As far as media you can map directories from the host to each container. This is how I have my scripts shared to my 3 containers with 1 file instead of a separate file for each container. I'm not sure how but it can't be too hard to map audio output from a given container to the host audio outputs. Give them separate ip addresses. This would require a bridge on the host. Ultimate goal is each container would look like another machine on your network but still be the same physical hardware.
this thread made me look into it for my own use at home. I will mess about and see where I can get.
Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts on this type of approach - sounds like an efficient solution. I've not much experience, make that none, with virtual machines or containers.  Time to dabble ..
I think for the moment I'll have to stick with one instance of Kodi and use profiles, as suggested.  I had wanted to avoid profiles as changing profiles is not supported so far as I know on Kore/Yatse.  So I'll just have to temporarily use the TV and a keyboard to change profiles, then can revert back to Kore/Yatse for controlling music.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware?0